Stevens Institute of Technology: Conversations - Greg Gianforte '83
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 25, 2012
We got a chance to sit down and speak with Stevens alum and the 2012 commencement undergraduate keynote speaker, Greg Gianforte.
Greg Gianforte is a serial entrepreneur in the computer networking and software industries, and an innovator in the customer experience market. Mr. Gianforte founded RightNow Technologies, a cloud-based customer service and support solutions company, in 1997. Under his leadership as chairman and CEO, RightNow enjoyed continuous growth, with nearly 2,000 consumer-focused companies around the world using its products, including British Airways, Cisco and Sprint. Headquartered in Bozeman, Montana, the company employed more than 1,100 employees worldwide and generated more than $225 million in annual revenue.
He took RightNow public in 2004 with one of that year's most successful initial public offerings. Seven years later, in 2011, he sold RightNow to Oracle for $1.5 billion. Prior to founding RightNow, Mr. Gianforte co-founded Brightwork Development Inc., a developer of network management applications. He served as president and built the company to 75 employees with software installed on 150,000 Novell network systems worldwide.
In 1994, he sold Brightwork to McAfee Associates, a provider of network security and tools, for more than $10 million, staying on as North American vice president and growing McAfee's North American sales operation from $25 million to more than $60 million in revenues within one year. During his tenure, the firm was selected by Fortune magazine as one of the "10 Coolest Companies in America" largely on the basis of the Internet selling approach Mr. Gianforte fostered. Mr. Gianforte began his career at AT&T Bell Laboratories.
Mr. Gianforte has received many honors throughout his career. In 2003, he received the Stevens Honor Award in recognition of his outstanding record of achievement as a noted entrepreneur. He was named Pacific Northwest Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young, which recognizes outstanding achievement and innovation in business. He also received the Influential Leader Award from CRM Magazine for his successful leadership of RightNow to 18 consecutive quarters of revenue growth during a period when most customer relationship management (CRM) vendors were struggling.
In 2007, Mr. Gianforte was inducted into the CRM Hall of Fame, recognizing his consistent influence over employees, customers, partners and competitors in the field. In 2011, he was named to TechAmerica Foundation's CLOUD2 Commission, where he and other experts from industry and academia provided President Obama with recommendations for both government deployment of cloud technologies and public policies to enable U.S. innovation in cloud-based technologies.
Mr. Gianforte has also authored several books. One of them, "Bootstrapping Your Business: Start and Grow a Successful Company With Almost No Money," has been Mr. Gianforte's lecture topic at Stanford, Berkeley, Cornell, Harvard, Marquette, London School of Business and, of course, Stevens. In "Eight to Great: Eight Steps to Delivering an Exceptional Customer Experience," he outlines ways in which companies may deliver better customer experiences while also reducing operating costs.
Mr. Gianforte is involved in a number of philanthropic endeavors through the Gianforte Family Foundation he and his wife founded, including Bootstrap Montana, a micro-loan program designed to assist rural entrepreneurs with zero-interest loans in Montana.
Mr. Gianforte earned his B.E. degree in Electrical Engineering and M.S. degree in Computer Science from Stevens Institute of Technology in 1983.
For more information please visit our website:
Standard YouTube License
- 13:11 Paper sr-71 blackbird.by protogeniusFeatured 95,418
- 4:52 Stevens Institute of Technology: Conversations - Jeong Kimby EdwinAStevens70 1,125 views
- 3:10 Stevens Institute of Technology: Drew Capone '13 featured on Cablevision Newscastby Stevens Institute of Technology 296 views
- 2:57 Stevens Institute of Technology: Dr. Jon Miller featured on The Weather Channelby Stevens Institute of Technology 331 views
- 4:40 Stevens Institute of Technology Conversations: Mark LaRosa '93by EdwinAStevens70 289 views
- 12:23 Steve Jobs Remembered by Larry Ellison and Pixar's Ed Catmullby WSJDigitalNetwork 37,755 views
- 8:53 Greg Gianforte at Techonomyby RightNowTechnologies 664 views
- 6:55 Greg Gianforte On Fox Businessby RightNowTechnologies 477 views
- 9:49 Entrepreneur Interview - ThinkEntrepreneurship.com Interviews CEO of RightNow Technologiesby ThinkEntrepreneurshi 5,224 views
- 7:36 Eight Steps to Improve Customer Experiencesby Jeff Scurlock 215 views
- 8:25 RightNow CX, the Customer Experience Suite For Consumer-Centric Organizationsby RightNowTechnologies 1,540 views
- 17:15 Natural History of Innovation- Steven B. Johnson- NAB Tech Lunch Lecture '11by newscraft 106 views
- 7:07 TOEFL listening test 202by ouliogroove 61,202 views
- 1:05:42 Joel Tarr Lecture: Why Technology?by CarnegieMellonU 6,457 views
- 7:09 Greg Gianforte On Bloomberg TVby RightNowTechnologies 754 views
- 2:31 Cloud Security Services- Symantec.cloudby Symanteccloudapac 4,515 views
- 9:20 The Customer Experience Imperativeby RightNowTechnologies 794 views
- 44:11 Jonathan Rosenberg: Inside the Black Boxby Google 65,697 views
- 3:20 Larry Ellison Discusses the Sun Acquisition - OpenWorld 2009by Oracle 1,279 views
- 3:23 Kaspersky customers: Ready for what's nextby Kaspersky 10,249 views
- Loading more suggestions...