Bharat Ratna Pt. Bhimsen Joshi - Raag Multani (1957)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 28, 2007
BHIMSEN JOSHI SEVENTY FIVE YEARS
Vocal: Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
Harmonium: Pandit Appasahab Jalgaonkar
Tabla: Gulam Rasool
Vocal Support: Purshottam Kapila
"Tu to Saahab Jamaal..."
"Nainan Mein Aan Baan..."
This video is the druth excerpt of the 36:43min long Khayaal. I have added pictures to enhance the experience of this great piece.
Taken from the "Bhimsen Joshi Seventy Five Years" CD, it can be purchased at the Music-Today website: http://www.music-today.com/inside1.ph...
THIS CONCERT'S STORY (from CD inlay)
This was sung at Harballah mela, the oldest musical conference of India. The conference began at 11:00am and Bhimsenji's turn came at about 3:00pm. Many stalwarts were in the audience- Roshanara Begum, Omkarnath Thakur, Ravi Shankar, Vilayat Khan....
Raga Multani is a specialty of the Kirana Gharana, with a classical Kirana style Aalaap. Here, so purely did Bhimsenji present the gayaki of Ustad Abdul Karim Khan, that Roshanara Begum congratulated him with tears in her eyes. This has been recounted by Purshottam Kapila, who was on the tanpura and also provided vocal support.
There are also some neat Thihais here. In Bhimsen's musical philosophy, he has always insisted that Thihais should come not as a result of calculated mathematical patterns; rather they should "arise" on their own, as an indication of gracefulness. At this time in the fifties he was friends with great Tabla maestros and quite interested in the grammatical content of Tabla, and this is evident in his singing. This element was also abandoned in later years.
In the latter part of the rendition, you will hear a dazzling display of technique, resorted to as the Punjabi audience is fond of "Tayyari" and acrobatics.
Panditji's student Purushottam Kapila, who was a lad of just 17-18 at the time and blessed with a natural "Phirat", provides great vocal accompaniment. This produced what in olden times was called "Dangal ka Gana".
This is a recording was from a 1957 concert in Jalandhar, Punjab.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Raga Multani" on
Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
- 48 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 2:03 bhimsen joshiby soundnshareFeatured 103,994
- 14:23 Pt. Bhimsen Joshi & Dr. Balamurali Krishna Jugalbandi - Raag Bhairavby Cypher88888888 36,648 views
- 8:45 Bharat Ratna Pt. Bhimsen Joshi - Raag Multani (1992)by Karandebuwa3 31,029 views
- 29:11 Tribute to Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi: Part 1 of 2by Nehal Mehta 27,627 views
- 10:53 Pt.Bhimsen Joshi_Bhairavi.aviby vintageaudio54's channel 35,926 views
- 1:09:03 Pt. Bhimsen Joshi - Raag Miyan Ki Todiby Dharmo Rakshati Rakshitah || 22,602 views
- 18:31 Raag Basant - Classical Wonder Of India - Pt. Bhimsen Joshiby classicalhindustani's channel 27,089 views
- 8:17 Jay Jagadishwari Mata Saraswati - Pt. Bhimsen Joshi Bhajanby Dharmo Rakshati Rakshitah || 53,818 views
- 167 videos Play all raqibwyne3 raagamalaby raqib56
- 13:43 Jo Bhaje Hari Ko Sada So Hi Param Pada Pavega-Bhairavi Bhajan-Pandit Bhimsen Joshiby deepaksgulvadi's channel 182,823 views
- 47:33 Pt. Bhimsen Joshi - Raag Miyan Ki Malharby cypher8888888 37,604 views
- 9:59 Suha Kanada Pt Bhimsen Joshiby Prashanth Kamath 6,585 views
- 16:24 Anuraniya thokada - Pt. Bhimsen Joshi - Sant Tukaram abhangby SJisBack 46,860 views
- 57:01 Pt. Bhimsen Joshi - Raag Ramkali (Tribute to Great Maestro) - live at Puneby Gagandeep Singh 21,448 views
- 10:32 Bhimsen Joshi - Raga Multaniby Harini Calamur 6,642 views
- 10:00 Pt. Bhimsen Joshi - Radhadhar Madhumilindby tablarohit 35,292 views
- 7:47 Jai Jai Ram Krishna Hare - Pt. Bhimsen Joshiby dharmaraksha 83,812 views
- 9:23 Pt. BHIMSEN JOSHI-Rag Todi-Ustad Shaik Dawood Tabla Part 3by knisar22 20,751 views
- 7:22 Poem of Kabir - Bhimsen Joshi - Beet Gaye Dinby saqibtahir 111,703 views
- 12:46 Jugalbandi: Pt Bhimsen Joshi & Ustad Rashid Khan: Intro by Ustad Vilayat Khan: Part 1 of 2by Nehal Mehta 59,938 views
- 9:39 Kaushiki Chakrabarty sings 'Yaad Piya Ki Aaye' (1)by PieterdeRooijHolland 178,824 views
- Loading more suggestions...