Lifecasting Tutorial: How to Make a Mold of Your Face with Alginate
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 16, 2008
In this lifecasting tutorial video we demonstrate making a mold of a face using Alja-Safe alginate from Smooth-On.
Cholesterol Hair Conditioner is applied thoroughly to the hair, eyebrows, beard, etc. to help with release. Cholesterol Hair Conditioner can be removed with soap and water.
Measure and Mix. Mix ratio is 1 part Alja-Safe to 1 part water by volume. Begin mixing with a squirrel mixer. Mix to a creamy consistency (no lumps).
Applying the Alja-Safe. Warning: Make sure your model can breathe! Let Alja-Safe cure for 5 minutes.
Making the support shell with plaster bandages. Bandages are layered over the Alja-Safe surface. Warning: Make sure your model can breathe! Let bandages dry for 15 minutes before demolding.
Demold. Support shell and mold are carefully removed. You'll be amazed at the ultra-fine skin detail that Alja-Safe captured. Time Sensitive: alginate molds break down quickly. Cast into mold within 1 hour following demold.
Patch air holes to prevent leaking. Mix a small batch of Alja-Safe. Let cure 5 minutes.
Casting duoMatrix NEO. Pour measured materials into mixing container. Begin mixing with a squirrel mixer. Pour slowly into mold. Let duoMatrix NEO cure for 1 hour before demolding.
Demold the casting. Apply paint.
Frequently Asked Questions:
* How much time did it take to mix and apply the Alja-Safe? About 15 minutes.
* How much time did it take to apply the gypsona bandages? About 15 minutes (not including cure time).
* How much time did it take to make the casting? About 10 minutes (not including cure time).
* How much Alja-Safe was used to make this mold? Less than 1lb (0.45 kg).
Make It Now! with Smooth-On
Standard YouTube License
- 9:26 How to: Take a Face Castby KlairedelysArt Featured 325,608
- 7:19 Lifecasting Tutorial: Making a Mold of a Head using Body Double Siliconeby Smooth-On, Inc.179,057 views
- 4:43 Mold Making Tutorial: How To Make a 2 Piece Silicone Rubber Moldby Smooth-On, Inc.253,788 views
- 9:09 Mold Making Tutorial: How to Make a Cavity Pour Moldby Smooth-On, Inc.117,071 views
- 3:46 Lifecasting Tutorial: How to Make a Mold of Your Arm with Alginateby Smooth-On, Inc.107,395 views
- 14:26 Lifecasting: Face Molds With Genesis V Alginateby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply87,881 views
- 8:54 Mold Making With Glove Mold Processby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply217,724 views
- 4:53 Fashion designer Alexandra Cipriani full body lifecast mold for mannequinby alexandracipriani600,871 views
- 13:39 Maquillaje Halloween 5: Zombie FX (efectos especiales) | Silvia Quirosby Silvia Quirós8,483,914 views
- 9:56 Basic Silicone Mask Makingby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply985,674 views
- 9:24 Advanced Silicone Mask Makingby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply750,851 views
- 9:38 Mold Making: 2 piece moldby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply378,234 views
- 9:50 Making a Brush on Silicone Moldby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply233,122 views
- 4:42 Casting a Hand Using Alginate.by Alex Rawling109,797 views
- 7:04 Mold Making Tip: Lifecast Mold Part 1by Brick In The Yard Mold Supply242,962 views
- 6:26 Mold Making and Casting: Casting R2 Rigid Foamby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply247,307 views
- 14:47 Lifecasting Tutorial: Gel-10 Body Mold Part 2by Brick In The Yard Mold Supply69,723 views
- 2:55 Mold Making Face Cast With 880 Alginateby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply400,174 views
- 7:14 How to Make a Two-Piece Block Moldby Polytek Development Corp.281,967 views
- 3:34 Randy Couture - Life Cast by Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc.by XCMMA147,465 views
- Loading more suggestions...