Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 01 The Pioneers
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 19, 2011
Episode 1 of 13.
Here is the definitive video history of the art of the American silent film. This 13-episode documentary was literally produced in the nick of time, as many of those interviewed would be deceased in a few short years - their wonderful memories lost forever.
Produced in 1980 for Thames Television, this is certainly one of the crowning achievements of the British team of Kevin Brownlow & David Gill, who together have done so much to preserve not only the history of silent cinema, but also the actual films themselves.
The one great lesson of the series is that non-talking films were a distinct art form, complete & satisfying, which had developed a universal language, understood everywhere, through the perfected medium of mime. This was all swept away with the arrival of Talk. So complete was the dismissal of silent films (which were never really silent) that within a short period of time they would be disparaged as intrinsically valueless & technically inferior.
As HOLLYWOOD triumphantly shows, nothing could have been further from the truth. Films of enormous expertise & intense emotional impact were almost routinely created by the pioneers who were perfecting their new invention. The achievements of Silent Cinema's 35 years constitute a new cultural renaissance.
Episodes focus on such topics as Westerns, comedies, war films, stunts, camera techniques & scandals. Not only do we hear from such luminaries as Lillian Gish, Gloria Swanson, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. & even John Wayne, but we are also enchanted by the recollections of Viola Dana, Leatrice Joy, Bessie Love, Colleen Moore & Blanche Sweet, performers in danger of obscurement due to the fact that their careers were so very long ago and their films are largely unavailable or lost. Hearing Miss Dana discuss the death of the stunt pilot she loved, or Miss Joy recollecting a tender note from husband John Gilbert, or Miss Moore hilariously describing her voice lessons when talkies arrived, is to inculcate real human personalities into what would otherwise be only historical footnotes.
A parade of directors, cameramen, stunt men & theater musicians also reminisce, as do writer Adela Rogers St. Johns & choreographer Agnes de Mille, who between them seem to have been everywhere & known everyone. Even Lord Louis Mountbatten recalls his memories of halcyon days at Pickfair.
While some fans may not want to have all the mysteries revealed as to how Douglas Fairbanks & Harold Lloyd achieved some of their most famous stunts, it is still fascinating information and detracts not a whit from the stars' prestige. It is rather sad, however, to see such stars as John Gilbert, Roscoe Arbuckle, James Murray & Ramon Novarro in their prime, with the knowledge of what Fate had in store for them...
Fans of HOLLYWOOD will be pleased to know that in the decades that have passed since its production many of the silent films it highlights have been fully restored and show now to much greater advantage that the rather faded appearance they make in the documentary.
Much appreciation must go to two men whose contributions go very far in contributing to the success of the series. Carl Davis provides a wonderfully evocative score for HOLLYWOOD, his use of traditional tunes & his own lilting melodies a splendid match for what is taking place on screen. James Mason's narration is absolutely perfect - his rich voice, so warm & intimate, ironically proving that there is a place for talking pictures after all.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Toot, Toot, Tootsie" on
- 43:02 Humphrey Bogart Documentaryby reneetownsend01 Featured 28,597
- 51:42 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 02 In The Beginningby João Antonio Franz Dos Santos31,928 views
- 1:27:16 20 Most Horrifying Hollywood Murders | 2006 | Full Documentaryby FULLEHQ498,310 views
- 52:03 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 11 Trick of the Lightby João Antonio Franz Dos Santos17,487 views
- 52:15 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - episode 10 The Man With The Megaphoneby eyeOmine6,016 views
- 52:02 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 03 Single Beds & Double Standardsby João Antonio Franz Dos Santos28,070 views
- 200 videos Play all full silent moviesby MrDutchy66
- 1:25:26 Mary Pickford (PBS Special)by João Antonio Franz Dos Santos34,421 views
- 52:09 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 12 Star Treatmentby João Antonio Franz Dos Santos23,114 views
- 37:13 Charles Chaplin Rare Documentary - Part 1by João Antonio Franz Dos Santos48,010 views
- 51:56 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 06 Swanson and Valentinoby João Antonio Franz Dos Santos35,912 views
- 21:42 Rita Hayworth "Mysteries & Scandals" Produced by Danny Schwartz & Alison Martinoby Alison Martino116,808 views
- 51:43 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 04 Hollywood Goes to Warby Joao Antônio Franz dos Santos6,072 views
- 44:50 Hollywood's Golden Age Documentaryby reneetownsend0113,350 views
- 57:33 Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon (Nigel Finch, 1991)by dreamtransmissions35,718 views
- 30:19 Ramon Novarro "Mysteries & Scandals" Produced by Danny Schwartz, Alison Martino & Michael Danahyby Alison Martino27,527 views
- 52:00 Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film - 07 Autocratsby João Antonio Franz Dos Santos17,254 views
- 31:59 the Knickerbocker Hotel. Mysteries & Scandals - Produced by Danny Schwartz & Alison Martinoby Alison Martino66,209 views
- 9:42 Silent Stars Graves / Deaths - Their Final Journeys - How They Diedby finaljourneys103,491 views
- 1:08:01 The Dick Cavett Show *Full Interview* Janis Joplin, Gloria Swanson, Margot Kidder, Dave Meggyesyby FURICCHIABLU440,148 views