The Message - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five featuing Melle Mel & Duke Bootee (1982)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 25, 2011
"The Message" was an old school hip-hop song by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five. Sugar Hill Records released it as a single in 1982 and it went platinum in less than a month. It was later featured on an album named "The Message". It is frequently referred to by critics and fans alike as the greatest record in hip-hop history. It is the first hip-hop record ever to be added to the United States National Archive of Historic Recordings. Though not the first in the genre of rap to talk about the struggles and the frustrations of living in the ghetto, the song was unique in that it was set to a slower beat, refocusing the song on the lyrics over the music. The song was written and performed by Sugar Hill session musician Ed 'Duke Bootee' Fletcher and Furious Five MC Melle Mel. Some of Mel's lyrics on "The Message" were taken directly from "Supperrappin'", a song he had recorded three years earlier. Flash and the other members of The Furious Five, although credited on the record, were uninterested in recording the song and are not found on the finished record. However, Sugar Hill Records credited their name to bring in wider audiences. It provided a political and social commentary and went on to become a driving force behind conscious hip-hop. Furthermore, the song peaked at #4 in the R&B chart and #62 in the pop chart, sold half a million copies in a month, and established hip-hop's credibility in mainstream music. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five was a highly influential American hip-hop group formed in the South Bronx of New York City in 1978. Composed of one DJ (Grandmaster Flash) and five rappers (Melle Mel, Kidd Creole, Cowboy, Mr. Ness/Scorpio, and Rahiem), the group's groundbreaking use of turntablism, break-beat deejaying, and innovative rapping pioneered the art of hip-hop music. The group rose to fame in the early 1980s with their first successful single "Freedom" and later on with their magnum opus "The Message", which is often cited as among the best hip-hop songs ever produced. However, in 1983, relations between Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel began straining and the group disbanded. A reunion occurred in 1987, and they released a new album, which received lukewarm reviews. Afterward, though, the sextet permanently broke up. Overall, they were active for only five years with two studio albums. In 2007, they became the first rap/hip-hop group ever to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This channel is dedicated to all the great rap music from back in the day. The music that started the whole hip-hop revolution, the incredible music from the 70s, the 80s, and the early 90s . . . The Roots Of Rap are here!
For music videos of the Old School funk, go to: www.youtube.com/DJBuddyLoveOldSchool
If you like relaxing with some classic Cool Jazz, go to:
To explore the world of The DJ Cafe, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
And coming in June 2011 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1982 Sugar Hill Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "The Message" on
- 42 videos Play all YouTube Mix - The Message - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five featuing Melle Mel & Duke Bootee (1982)
- 4:13 Eminem - The Monster (Audio) ft. Rihannaby EminemVEVO Featured 59,083,730
- 14:46 The Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight ( HQ, Full Version )by dutchmanmm3,008,264 views
- 14:46 The Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight Lyrics (FULL VERSION)by lyricspeople12341,477,578 views
- 12:36 Sugar Hill Gang ft Grandmaster Melle Mel Live "8th Wonder" "The Message"& "Rapper's Delight" (1998)by wiitrieve99,188 views
- 5:25 Five Minutes Of Funk - Whodini (1984)by djbuddyloverootsrap790,330 views
- 58:42 BBC Natural World - Zambeziby proudgeekybaby871,121,442 views
- 24 videos Play all Disco Funkby spidy6020
- 6:59 Doug E Fresh & Slick Rick-The Showby onlyrealhiphop122,070,036 views
- 9:22 Zapp & Roger - More Bounce To The Ounceby catolog962,492,704 views
- 6:04 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Messageby VintageHipHopSeattle670,702 views
- 8:05 NEWCLEUS - JAM ON ITby Adam Gomez1,847,699 views
- 7:55 Central Line- Walking Into Sunshineby heyroz27850,603 views
- 7:05 The Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel (Long Version)by jemiedub314,506 views
- 7:08 Grandmaster Flash - New York New York.by phil x101,685 views
- 5:41 The Power - Snap! (1990)by djbuddyloverootsrap149,265 views
- 9:03 GRANDMASTER FLASH & SUGARHILL GANGby MALUKODIKARA126,211 views
- 4:48 Nights Over Egypt - The Jones Girls (Vinyl 12") 1981by fastflyer2007444,224 views
- 10:00 RARE "Grandmaster Flash & The 4 MCs " 12/23/1978 (Part 1/3)by yacsfc231,128 views
- 3:14 "Going up the Country" - Canned Heat / WOODSTOCK '69by Emy B3,677,445 views
- 8:23 Freedom - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Fiveby ScorpioBoi7649,544 views