R.C. Sproul's Irrational Love Of Thomas Aquinas
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 5, 2008
Have you ever heard the absurd claim that Thomas Aquinas' theology could be classified as Protestant or Reformed?
If you are familiar with the theology and teaching of R.C. Sproul and John Gerstner, then you probably have heard this foolish claim.
In this short video, I demonstrate that Martin Luther and John Calvin both considered Thomas Aquinas' theology to be heretical and contrary to the basic teachings of Scripture.
Here are two more quotes from Martin Luther which demonstrate his rejection of Aquinas' heretical theology. Like the quote I provide in the video, these two quotes show Luther rejecting Aquinas' theology as heretical.
"This is the procedure of Thomas: First he takes statements from Paul, Peter, John, Isaiah, etc. Afterward he concludes that Aristotle says so and so and he interprets Scripture according to Aristotle."
(Table Talk, Recorded By Dietrich, Number 280)
I hope I don't have to remind any Protestants that we do not interpret the Bible according to Aristotle. We will leave such a heretical method to the Catholics. As Calvinists, we interpret Scripture with Scripture.
Here is another quote from Luther. In this quote, Luther gives thanks to God for delivering him from the heretical medieval scholastic theology of the Catholic whore-church.
"When the papacy was flourishing Scotus, Bonaventura, Gabriel, and Thomas [Aquinas] had to embroider their thoughts with fantasies because they had no serious tasks to perform...Occam was very clever in his devotion to method; he had a fondness for enlarging upon and amplifying things into infinity, but Thomas was most loquacious because he was seduced by metaphysics. God led us away from all this in a wonderful way; without my quite being aware of it He took me away from that game more than twenty years ago."
(Table Talk, Recorded By Lauterbach, Number 3722)
As for Calvin, I have yet to find a quotation from his writings that praise the theology of Thomas Aquinas. The quote I give from Calvin's Institutes demonstrates that Aquinas had a heretical view of predestination. Aquinas' view essentially claims that it is the finite merits of puny man which determine the omnipotent and infinite mind of God in matters of predestination unto life. Such a view is not Reformed.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:18 "The Seeker-Sensitive Movement: Your Thoughts Al and R.C..."by LaneChFeatured 103,726
- 56:20 Question and Answer Session R. C. Sproul - part 1by needanewstartcom 23,496 views
- 53:49 The State of Evangelicalism Today and Christless "Christianity" (R.C. Sproul and Michael Horton - White Horse Inn)by LaneCh 37,656 views
- 25:27 RC Sproul interviews DA Carson on biblical exegesisby Wade Davis 18,905 views
- 7:54 John MacArthur Predestination question from 2010 Shepherd's Conferenceby Wade Davis 161,303 views
- 4:17 R.C. Sproul: The Roman Catholic Church Anathematized The Gospel And Itselfby latimer 2,675 views
- 9:27 R.C. Sproul Wrong On Predestinationby RedBeetle 9,117 views
- 4:00 R.C. Sproul and Alice Cooperby philosophyreligion 41,285 views
- 52 videos Play all Gospel, Doctrine, Testimonies, Evangelismby qptqpt
- 11:28 R.C. Sproul: Aquinas vs Kant - 1/2by InfallibleTruthBlog 3,462 views
- 4:18 RC Sproul - Why believe Christianityby Wade Davis 3,779 views
- 10:00 Sproul / Stein interview Part 1 of 3by LigonierMinistries 63,450 views
- 3:31 R.C. Sproul and Federal Visionby RedBeetle 10,400 views
- 8:00 R.C. Sproul Jr. teaching Justification By Faith And Worksby RedBeetle 4,781 views
- 1:35 RC Sproul - What is True Repentance?by Wade Davis 10,402 views
- 9:56 RC Sproul Interviews Stephen Meyer, Part 1 of 5by LigonierMinistries 30,572 views
- 8:39 The Manhattan Declaration and R. C. Sproul's "Salvation by faith and faithfulness!"by RedBeetle 1,724 views
- 8:59 1-7 Christianity Fact or Fantasy ?by SKYSPLASH 13,761 views
- 10:47 Why Apologetics? (R.C. Sproul)by LaneCh 37,245 views
- 3:35 R.C. Sproul - Did God ordain the fall?by 99BAKI99 5,150 views
- 7:09 Imputed vs Infused Righteousness by R.C. Sproul - Part 1 of 2by Michael Lilley 3,457 views
- Loading more suggestions...