How to Set Up a Campsite
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 4, 2008
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Camping Equipment & Tips videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/371-Cam...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
There's an art and a science to setting up camp, and we're going to teach you both.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Pick a good spot
Pick a spot on level ground that is not so high on a hill that it's windy, but not so low in a valley that you'll be at risk of being flooded if it rains. Make sure there are no patches of poison ivy or oak.
Step 2: Consider nearby water
Before you actually pitch your tent, figure out where you're going to get your water. Ideally, you want to be close enough to a lake or stream to access water for washing, but not so near that your activities will pollute the water. About 300 feet away is a good rule of thumb.
Don't set up camp near still water. It may run deep, but it's also a magnet for mosquitoes.
Step 3: Pitch your tent
Pitch your tent in a spot where the sun will hit it in the morning. Unroll your sleeping bags so they have a chance to fluff up, and lay out your inflatable mattress pads, if you have any, so they're easier to inflate later.
Step 4: Set up your kitchen
Set up a cooking area about 200 feet from your tent, in a spot where the wind won't blow cooking embers toward your tent. Build your fire in advance, so it's ready to light when you want to start cooking.
Step 5: Find a tree for your food
Find a tree at least 200 feet from your tent from which you can suspend a bag of opened food. Hang it at least 12 feet off the ground to keep it out of reach of bears and other critters.
Stick your toothpaste in the food bag at night; bears have been known to mistake the minty fresh smell for something tasty.
Step 6: Build your latrine
Find a secluded spot at least 200 feet from camp to serve as your latrine. Dig a hole about a foot deep for a makeshift toilet, and set out a roll of toilet paper, protected from the elements in a sealed plastic bag.
Step 7: Leave nothing behind
When it's time to break camp, take all your garbage with you. And pile some stones on your latrine after you fill it in, so the next group of campers doesn't dig up a nasty surprise!
Did You Know?
Fifty-three percent of campers bring their laptops with them, according to a survey.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:21 WINTER DAY CAMP SET-UP!by bushcraftbartons Featured 24,677
- 3:11 How to Build a Campfireby Howcast142,768 views
- 3:09 How to Survive If You're Lost in the Woodsby Howcast278,362 views
- 3:35 How to Cook Seven Simple Recipes over a Campfireby Howcast143,107 views
- 1:46 How to Purify Waterby Howcast70,063 views
- 9:40 Inside The Off Grid Camper - living off the gridby The Do It Yourself World142,482 views
- 13:31 Camp Fire Cooking: Shutup! I'm gonna teach you something.by jamesryanphoto137,320 views
- 62 videos Play all campingby airsoftmad55
- 3:08 Family Camping - Setting up a Campsiteby MonkeySee11,383 views
- 4:19 Camping In Wet Weatherby CotswoldOutdoor172,192 views
- 8:19 How to Set Up a Tent. Tips, Tricks and Need To Know Information for Campingby FixinThatUp15,120 views
- 5:43 Family Campingby CotswoldOutdoor51,346 views
- 3:14 Family Camping - Basic Gear & Equipment Neededby MonkeySee33,991 views
- 2:36 How to Make a Trip Wire Alarmby Howcast564,297 views
- 13:27 Making A Tent From A Tarpby phreshayr48,817 views
- 2:00 Setting up Camp with a Teardrop Trailerby Katharine Imogen Bishop71,788 views
- 10:35 Tips for Backpack Camping in the Rainby KennethKramm124,274 views
- 6:39 Never Fail Camp Fire Buildingby Clarke Green140,309 views
- 3:41 Luxury Campingby better239,896 views
- 13:58 Lay Me Low, Stealth Camping in a National Forestby KennethKramm55,005 views