[France24] Death of local girl prompts riots in SW China
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 30, 2008
China has ordered "rioters" to surrender following violent protests by 10,000 residents of a southern county angry over the alleged rape and murder of a local girl, a dissident website said Monday.
Residents of the restive county of Weng'an in southwestern Guizhou province reported a tense calm Monday amid a heavy police presence two days after huge crowds attacked and burned government and police targets.
"There are many police in front of the county government building and police station. Students are going back to classes, social order is back to normal," a resident who gave only his surname, Lai, told AFP.
The incident comes at a sensitive time for China's Communist Party rulers as they seek to showcase the nation as harmonious and stable ahead of the Beijing Olympics in August.
The riots on Saturday were triggered by anger over the alleged rape and killing of a 15-year-old school girl amid reports that local officials were protecting the suspect, who has been identified as the son of the county's deputy chief.
The anger was further fuelled by the death in police custody of the girl's uncle after he protested the handling of the case, locals told AFP.
The state-run China Daily newspaper on Monday quoted officials as saying 10,000 protesters had taken to the streets due to "officials' alleged attempt to cover up a murder case of a girl student".
The dissident website Boxun.com featured a photo of a public notice ordering those involved in the rioting to turn themselves in.
Phone calls by AFP to the local police station went unanswered on Monday.
The Hong Kong-based Information Centre for Human Rights and Democracy said Sunday that more than 1,500 paramilitary and riot police had been dispatched to the area and that nearly 200 people had been arrested.
Although numerous Internet postings on the violence were seen over the weekend, few could be found Monday. The government's Internet censors typically block information on such clashes.
China sees thousands of such outbursts each year as ordinary Chinese, faced with an unresponsive legal system and rampant official corruption, lash out violently at perceived government abuses and graft.
Standard YouTube License
- 24:18 China's Foul Play - Chinaby Journeyman Pictures44,683 views
- 3:46 贵州安顺城管打死残疾小贩 引发暴动by Peter Ho2,834 views
- 3:26 Jakarta Riotsby KentClark331,419 views
- 8:43 jakarta 1998 anti-chinese riots (part 1)by cashwin1980416,709 views
- 9:42 Harbin Student Beaten To Death By Six Police Officersby chinaSMACK58,694 views
- 14:34 China's 'Amazing Economic Growthby FRANCE 24 English12,332 views
- 10:01 (Pt. 1) 贵州新闻办举行发布会公布瓮安"6.28"事件真相by TaipingDiGuo20,925 views
- 5:10 Riot In Little India, Dec 8, 2013by TODAYonline17,730 views
- 5:54 China - Death Row Documentryby keev12100,437 views
- 5:08 The Unseen China - Chapter 1by chryosx39,039 views
- 8:22 French student Riots 2006by Darth Benedict56,098 views
- 0:33 old footage of 1967 riot in Hong Kong 香港67年暴動by cplai64,322 views
- 8:45 HairSite.com - Dr. Umar's 10,000 grafts Hair Transplant Repair Using Body Hairby hairsite169,906 views
- 2:04 Aftermath of Little India Riot, Dec 9, 2013by TODAYonline90,620 views
- 0:57 China Riots Police Shoot Machette Wielding Attacker Urumqi 烏魯木齊騷亂by HalbertisNewsBank80,512 views
- 2:19 Lottery Hoax causes Riot at Burlington Coat Factoryby Snuggybugger22,258 views
- 2:03 The chinese violence 暴力 中國by wylly888298,994 views
- 2:20 11-year-old Young Girl Forced Into Restroom By 50-year-old Government Official Manby chinaSMACK1,475,426 views
- 2:47 FRANCE24-EN-Report-Congo Mai Maiby FRANCE 24 English94,505 views
- 3:09 Kenya Elections - Riotsby zulusafari49,589 views
- Loading more suggestions...