David Harvey speaking at the 10th Annual Ric Pfeffer Lecture
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 27, 2012
The Ric Pfeffer Lecture commemorates the life and work of Ric Pfeffer, a committed social justice activist and advocate who passed away in 2002. 2640 and Red Emma's have been honored to host several of the most recent Pfeffer lectures.
For this year's Lecture, which will commemorate the tenth anniversary of Ric's passing, David Harvey will be returning to Baltimore. David Harvey, who developed his ideas around the geography of anticapitalism to a large extent during his extended residence in Baltimore, gave the first Pfeffer memorial lecture in 2002, where he spoke about "The New Imperialism." David Harvey is a Distinguished Professor at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY) and Director of The Center for Place, Culture and Politics. In 1982, while professor at Johns Hopkins, he was one of the founders of the Progressive Action Center. In the same year he published The Limits to Capital. With the publication of this work and 14 more, Harvey developed a Marxian theoretical approach he calls "historical-geographical materialism." Harvey gave the first Pfeffer memorial lecture in 2002, where he spoke about "The New Imperialism." He is returning 10 years later for the culminating lecture of the series to discuss the dynamics of resistance against the dominance of finance capital as in the Occupy Wall Street Movement. His forthcoming book is Rebel Cities: From the Right to the City to the Urban Revolution.
The Ric Pfeffer Lecture Fund was established in memory of Ric Pfeffer, former Johns Hopkins professor, attorney in the field of worker health and safety, activist in the peace and civil rights movements, and founding member of the Progressive Action Center. The Fund honors his legacy by providing support for radical and progressive lectures that analyze current conditions and promote activism.
- 39:22 David Harvey speaking at the 10th Annual Ric Pfeffer Lecture (pt.2)by redemmasvideo184 views
- 1:59:41 Global Decline of US Power - Giovanni Arrighi , David Harvey & Joel Andreas on Adam Smith in Beijingby EducateKnowledge1,566 views
- 34:48 Democracy in America David Harveyby TheEthanwashere4,224 views
- 1:26:35 De economische crisis: werkelijke oorzaken en echte oplossingenby LPAmsterdam2,303 views
- 30:27 David Harvey -Unravelling Capital´s Contradictionsby BIOECON TV5,688 views
- 1:26:08 David Graeber: On Bureaucratic Technologies & the Future as Dream-Time / 01.19.2012 @ SVAby LondonReviewofGames12,432 views
- 14:28 Naomi Klein on Global Neoliberalismby Big Think11,318 views
- 1:07:39 The Urbanisation of Class Struggle - David Harvey - Marxism 2012by swpTvUk6,127 views
- 49:29 How the Rich Beat the Taxman (2010)by PrentissMcCabe47,225 views
- 1:15:24 Joseph Stiglitz - The Price of Inequality, June 14, 2012.by pdxjustice24,611 views
- 1:21:22 Marx's Method in Capital - David Harvey & Alex Callinicosby swpTvUk6,819 views
- 9:40 Interview with David Harveyby RedMistFilms8,020 views
- 1:44:18 Capitalism Hits the Fan Film Screening and Q&A with Professor Richard Wolff | The New Schoolby The New School53,298 views
- 23:34 'Vivemos em um sistema muito propenso a crises', afirma o geógrafo marxista David Harveyby Paulo Alexandre2,642 views
- 1:33:00 The Neoliberal Cityby UChannel15,548 views
- 53:32 David Harvey the Deutscher Prize Lecture 2011by swpTvUk5,191 views
- 44:07 David Harvey - OWS Free University May 1 2012 - Reclaiming the City for Anti-Capitalist Struggleby NewYorkRawVideos5,730 views
- 25:03 Spatial Justice workshop - David Harveyby University of Westminster4,578 views
- 1:16:16 David Harvey History Versus Theory A Commentary on Marx's Method In Capitalby Fourman Films14,067 views
- 1:25:30 David Harvey "The End of Capitalism"by Noam Chomsky Videos644 views
- Loading more suggestions...