Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 6/18/12: Unconstitutional Uses of Drones Must Stop
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 17, 2012
Unconstitutional Uses of Drones Must Stop
by Ron Paul
Last week I joined several of my colleagues in sending a letter to President Obama requesting clarification of his criteria for the lethal use of drones overseas. Administration officials assure us that a "high degree of confidence" is required that the person targeted by a drone is a terrorist. However, press reports have suggested that mere "patterns of behavior" and other vague criteria are actually being used to decide who to target in a drone strike. I am concerned that an already troublingly low threshold for execution on foreign soil may be even lower than we imagined.
The use of drones overseas may have become so convenient, operated as they are from a great distance, that far more "collateral damage" has become acceptable. Collateral damage is a polite way of saying killing innocent civilians. Is the ease of drone use a slippery slope to disregard for justice, and if so what might that mean for us as they become more widely used on American soil against American citizens?
This dramatic increase in the use of drones and the lowered threshold for their use to kill foreigners has tremendous implications for our national security. At home, some claim the use of drones reduces risk to American service members. But this can be true only in the most shortsighted sense. Internationally the expanded use of drones is wildly unpopular and in fact creates more enemies than it eliminates.
Earlier this month a former top terrorism official at the CIA warned that President Barack Obama's expanded use of drones may actually be creating terrorist "safe havens." Robert Grenier, who headed the CIA's counter-terrorism center from 2004 to 2006, told a British newspaper that, "[the drone program] needs to be targeted much more finely. We have been seduced by them and the unintended consequences of our actions are going to outweigh the intended consequences."
After a drone strike in Yemen last month once again killed more civilians than suspected al-Qaeda members, a Yemeni lawyer sent a message to President Obama stating "Dear Obama, when a U.S. drone missile kills a child in Yemen, the father will go to war with you, guaranteed. Nothing to do with Al Qaeda." These are the unseen victims of the president's expanded use of drones, but we should pay attention and we should ask ourselves how we would feel if the tables were turned and a foreign power was killing innocent American children from thousands of miles away. Would we not feel the same?
The expanded use of drones overseas has been matched with the expanded use of drones in the United States, which should alarm every American who values the Constitution and its protections against government interference in our private lives. Recently, the governor of Virginia welcomed the expanded use of drones in his state because they "make law enforcement more productive." I find that attitude chilling and am sure I am not alone.
Do we want to live in a country where our government constantly flies aircraft overhead to make sure we are not doing anything it disapproves of? Already the Environmental Protection Agency uses drone surveillance to spy on farmers and ranchers to see if they are in compliance with regulations. Local law enforcement agencies are eyeing drone use with great anticipation. Do we really want to live under the watchful eye of "Big Brother"? It is terrifying enough to see how drones are being misused abroad. We must curtail the government's ability use drones right away lest the massacres in Yemen and Pakistan turn out to be crude training exercises for what the administration has in mind on our own soil.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:12 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 6/11/12: The CBO Sees the Economic Cliff Aheadby minnesotachris 2,798 views
- 4:53 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 7/2/12: Audit the Fed Headed for the House Floor!by minnesotachris 3,981 views
- 4:11 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 10/15/12: Despite Claims, Recovery is NOT Around the Cornerby minnesotachris 12,995 views
- 4:52 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 6/25/12: Get the Government Out of Healthcare!by minnesotachris 1,267 views
- 9:16 "When You Go To ANY Airport In The U.S. You Are NOT Protected By The Constitution Or Bill Of Rights"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M 7,297 views
- 10:47 Ron Paul Incredible Video Twice Removed YouTubeby alexdlocoa 938,912 views
- 6:41 RON PAUl's has a trick up both of his sleeves! GO RON PAUL Expert method to win electionby TheOriginal FatDonkey 1,613 views
- 2:20 Ron Paul's Plan to Audit and End The Fed is Almost Law!by matlarson10 7,280 views
- 10:43 Open Letter to Ron Paul and All Ron Paul Supporters, June 16th 2012by Catherine Bernadette 664 views
- 5:43 Chairman Shoves Ron Paul Supporter--- Iowa GOP Conventionby Theflin05 5,667 views
- 19:36 Lawyers for Ron Paul on The Power Hour - 6/18/12by Henry Shivley 16,054 views
- 3:01 Ron Paul Makes Moderator Look Stupid on Military Spending - South Carolina Debate 1-16-2012by R11110000 583,807 views
- 1:50 Crowd Erupts In Anger As John King Ignores Ron Paul On Abortion Questionby BreitbartNews 513,123 views
- 2:50 Ron Paul Dominates Iowa State GOP Convention Winning 21 of 28 Delegatesby TheLeakSource 420 views
- 59:30 Episode #142 - Ron Paul Revolution Turned Into A Covert War Your Your Mind and Voteby Pete Santilli 426 views
- 4:49 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 11/26/12: How to End the Tragedy in Gazaby minnesotachris 2,683 views
- 4:48 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 7/9/12: Fractional Reserve Banking, Government, and Moral Hazardby minnesotachris 1,895 views
- 5:19 Ron Paul Suddenly Seems Electableby Johannes Fiftyeight 893 views
- 8:49 Jesse Ventura wants You to Vote for Gary Johnsonby djgabrielpresents 15,673 views
- 4:32 Ron Paul to John McCain: Syria is none of our business!by djgabrielpresents 16,798 views
- Loading more suggestions...