Tool - Lateralus - Koto Ensemble Version
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 29, 2009
I arranged Tool's 'Lateralus' for 8-piece koto ensemble. Here's the first performance, by Soemon in Tokyo, 11/27/09. Check out the rehearsal version video as well. Kazue Sawai was in the audience at this performance.
I'd like to dedicate this one to my oldest friend Eric, who first introduced me to 'Lateralus.'
The first 6 steps and the 15th step (6=1+5) of the Fibonacci sequence for the numbers 0 and 1 feature prominently in the structure of this piece:
This is reflected, for example, in the rhythm of the second section, 9/8-8/8-7/8, 987 being the 15th step of the sequence, as well as in the structure of the 3rd section. While the underlying rhythm of this section is 5/8 (the 6th step of the sequence is 5+8=13), the lead melody progresses back and forth through a series of phrases of length 0 to 13, again the first 6 steps of the sequence plus the root numbers, separated by pauses of length 1 to 5, the 1st 4 steps of the sequence. Together the melody phrases and rests form the image of 2 interlocking spirals. The lyrics of the song at this point also reflect the mathematical structure, the first words being 'black then white,' i.e. 0 and 1. The lyrics later in the song make use of extensive spiral imagery.
In my arrangement I tried to incorporate this element of the original composition as much as possible. There are 8 instruments in the group, 6 koto and 2 bass koto. The 6th step in the sequence is 13, which is the number of strings on a koto. The 2 bass kotos together have 34 strings, 34 being the 8th step of the sequence. In the first 9/8-8/8-7/8 section the 8 players are subdivided into 2 groups, one of 5 and one of 3. The groups play the 9/8/7 figure 3 times, with a variation in the 3rd iteration subdividing it into 3=2+1. The 2nd time through the 9-8-7 figure the groups themselves subdivide into smaller groups of 3+2 and 2+1 for 2 iterations before subdividing again in the 3rd iteration (3=2+1 again).
There is so much more, but, as the lyrics in the 4th section say, "Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind." It rocks, and that's all that really matters.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 1:15:51 Tool 10,000 Days (Full Album)by Aaron FraserFeatured 590,040
- 9:36 Tool - Lateralusby bl00dfusi0n 483,982 views
- 8:48 Tool - Vicarious - 1080pby Lluminari 564,407 views
- 8:39 Tool- Lateralus coverby Rafaelo Gjergji 51,653 views
- 1:12:43 Tool's "Holy Gift" (The Full Album)by TheSoYa 763,604 views
- 64 videos Play all Toolby m051ut
- 1:20:31 Tool - Lateralus(FULL ALBUM, HD AND HQ)by ゼルダの伝説 時のオカリナ 493,016 views
- 10:10 Tool - Parabola (HQ)by Word Up Muthafuckas!!! 262,217 views
- 9:07 絵空箏／ESORAGOTO （沢井比河流 作曲／composed by SAWAI Hikaru）by soemonkoto 13,760 views
- 5:53 Tool - Undertow (Live)by kingilla 1,534,269 views
- 10:10 Tool - Parabolaby dachort 3,792,803 views
- 8:29 Tool - Opiateby Zak Andrews 1,293,712 views
- 8:37 Tool The Grudgeby wazzzzzzzzz uppppp 2,156,904 views
- 5:00 Tool Sober Live at Reading Festival 1993 PROSHOT!!!by Kanal von ciffi 2,722,867 views
- 11:12 Tool - Rosetta Stonedby mulidorerik 710,886 views
- 11:07 Tool Reflectionby 6cath6arsis6's channel 831,263 views
- 6:53 Aaron Lewis~Sober (Tool cover)by BornQueen 886,760 views
- 6:40 Tool - Aenema (Lyrics and Meaning)by This channel is dead. 1,607,420 views
- 8:32 Tool - Eulogyby iceclown360 4,412,678 views
- 4:07 Tom Morello "Lateralus" with TOOL, bonnarooby runme69 228,516 views
- 7:50 Right in Two (Tool Orchestration)by ONeilOrchestration 25,640 views
- Loading more suggestions...