Clean Your Pillows!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 29, 2012
Subscribe for a Cleaner Life: http://vid.io/xPh
Visit our Blog for Detailed Instructions: http://vid.io/xQP
Learn the right way to clean your dirty pillows (and how to test them)! Warning...this may get gross!
Cleaning expert, Melissa Maker, shows us how to properly clean our pillows, an often overlooked cleaning task. Melissa teaches us about a quick test which will let you know when it is time to replace your pillows and if they pass the test - we will learn how to clean our pillows, quickly and easily!
Melissa Maker is the president of Clean My Space and a cleaning expert - if you have a cleaning question for Melissa, leave a comment on this video..
Be sure to rate, subscribe and comment! Thanks for watching..
Nicky asked: How often do I clean my pillow? And how do I clean my pillow?
Did you know?
Your pillow doubles in weight over a span of time from absorbing dust, mold, bacteria, allergens, and dead skin when we sleep on them.
To test if you need a new pillow:
Fold your pillow in half and if it won't bounce back, get rid of it. If it springs to life when folded over, it's still good.
Best practices: Wash your pillows 3x a year and replace them once every 2 years.
Note: You can wash polyester and feather-filled pillows the same way. For memory or silk pillows, washed them separately and follow product care instructions.
To clean your pillows:
Use a gentle detergent that is ideally scent-free. Press out as much air as possible before loading it into the washer. For top load washers, do 2 at a time for balance. Front loads don't have an agitator so you can do 1-2 per load. Set your machine to run a full cycle using warm water. Run a second spin cycle to help eliminate excess moisture. By removing excess moisture, you'll help reduce mold growth and any unpleasant odors from developing. To dry, take 2 tennis balls and split them into 2 socks. Tie the socks to secure the tennis balls in place. The tennis balls will help beat out excess moisture while putting them in socks will prevent the smell and color of the tennis ball from transferring to your pillows. Put the pillows in the dryer using a low heat setting. It may take a few cycles to fully dry the pillows. Once dry, take a deep smell of the pillow to test if there's still moisture in the pillow.
If your pillow smells, add half a cup of baking soda into the wash.
If you pillow is musty, moldy or has mildew, throw in some vinegar into the wash cycle.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:37 How to Clean A Mattress!by Clean My Space Featured 48,195
- 8:17 How to Make a Bed - Bed Making Tutorial & Other Great Bed Tips!by Clean My Space80,159 views
- 7:50 Clean Your Room - The Best Room Cleaning Tutorial!by Clean My Space317,199 views
- 6:09 10 Ways to Clean With Vinegar!by Clean My Space95,294 views
- 4:37 How to Clean Groutby Clean My Space463,676 views
- 5:31 How to Clean Stainless Steel Appliancesby Clean My Space99,384 views
- 4:14 How to Clean a Burnt Pan or Potby Clean My Space222,999 views
- 9:39 Cleaning Kit Essentials!by Clean My Space39,882 views
- 6 videos Play all Home Ideasby AngieCatBaby1
- 14:21 Most Organized Home in America - HGTV Clean Freaks & Professional Organizer Alejandra Costelloby How to Organize with Alejandra's Home Organization Tips1,631,432 views
- 6:29 Clean Your Self-Cleaning Oven!by Clean My Space64,242 views
- 6:25 The Schticky Review!by Clean My Space153,911 views
- 3:18 DIY Home Deodorizers!by Clean My Space54,610 views
- 3:09 DIY Shoe Powder! Keep Your Shoes Smelling Fresh!by Clean My Space65,555 views
- 4:59 Clean Your Canvas Shoes! (TOMS & Keds)by Clean My Space197,453 views
- 5:08 How to Clean a Flat Screen TV - LCD or Plasmaby Clean My Space83,986 views
- 8:28 How To Remove Gum - From Hair, Clothing, Carpet and Upholsteryby Clean My Space31,571 views
- 5:49 How to Clean an iPhone, BlackBerry, or Any Touch Screen Phone Properly!by Clean My Space55,164 views
- 3:13 How-to Clean Your Hair Brush + Hairbrush Tutorial!by Clean My Space34,214 views
- 8:01 Shark Steam Pocket Review! Do Steam Cleaners Work?by Clean My Space98,729 views