The Worlds Longest Bench Littlehampton West Sussex
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 9, 2010
The Worlds Longest Bench Littlehampton West Sussex.
The Longest Bench, Littlehampton
with Arun District Council; Jane Wood and Sophie Murray, East Beach Cafe; Adams Kara Taylor; Jackson Coles; and millimetre
(first phase completed summer 2010)
The longest bench in Britain was opened to the public in Littlehampton, West Sussex on the 30th July 2010. The bench seats over 300 people along Littlehampton's promenade, overlooking the town's award-winning Blue Flag beach.
This project began as an idea to create a very long bench down the spine of the promenade at Littlehampton, potentially the longest bench in the UK or perhaps eventually the world. The structure sinuously travels along the promenade, meandering around lampposts, bending behind bins, and ducking down into the ground to allow access between the beach and the Green.
Littlehampton, West Sussex is a town on the South Coast at the mouth of the River Arun. The promenade runs from the harbour eastwards towards Worthing and beyond. The site follows a redbrick wall which accompanies the promenade for over half a kilometre, terminating at the East Beach Cafe.
The Longest Bench is made from thousands of hardwood bars reclaimed from sources including old seaside groynes (including Littlehampton's!) and rescued from landfill. This simple component is arrayed to accommodate the complex shapes called for by the form of the wall and the activities which take place along it. The varieties of reclaimed timbers are interspersed with splashes of bright colour wherever the bench wriggles, bends or dips.
To inspire and develop the Longest Bench, we worked with Connaught Junior School. The children showed us how they use the promenade, what they think of it, and what it means to them, giving us insights into the site we would never otherwise have. Two important incidents along the length of the site are the two shelters. The children told us they felt these were dirty and unsafe. They were dividing rather than connecting the green and the beach.
The old shelters have been replaced with new Shelter Charms, each made of a strip which forms a simple opening by looping around once. The bronze-finished twisted monocoque forms reach out to both sides, making no front or back. The bench stretches as it approaches a loop and then inside goes a bit haywire, bouncing of the walls and ceiling creating seats and openings. The loop contains the haywire stretch of bench and frames the views each way. These two shelters, along with the East Beach Cafe, form the initial charms.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:30 Operation Finlayby Francesca Ebel3,175 views
- 5:24 Ribbing Steve's Wood Canvas Canoeby wccanoe54,207 views
- 10:14 Driving Around Littlehampton West Sussexby EastAngliaUK2,671 views
- 6:35 "Littlehampton - The Friendly Resort" DVD ANGELFILMS-UKby OriginalVideoBook1,025 views
- 19:51 South Coast Powerboating - Newhaven to Littlehampton - Brighton Marinaby AOTNP177 views
- 9:06 Littlehampton exchange 1993.aviby Brian McErlean1,205 views
- 8:00 Connaught School Class Of 2010by Giingaah1,651 views
- 6:23 Littlehampton Olympic bid 2016by Josh Funnell5,493 views
- 9:10 Expanding Table from Reclaimed Barn Woodby whfurniture411,772 views
- 3:21 Littlehampton's Mary Portas Bidby WOTAB2,095 views
- 9:38 Littlehampton Miniature Railway 2009by Nicholas Tozer6,680 views
- 8:47 Kingmere Littlehamptonby Alan Gammon401 views
- 8:03 Sticky Situations - LCS talent showby AndLanded1,738 views
- 3:24 Littlehampton, West Sussex, Pier Road & Arun Paradeby townvid8,227 views
- 8:50 Coastal Systems - Shoreline Retreat, Longshore Drift and Groynesby ProfSimonHaslett2,424 views
- 6:57 Driving Around Bognor Regis West Sussexby EastAngliaUK3,895 views
- 9:59 The Dolphin Hotel - 22nd May 2010by sussexghosthunters367 views
- 3:01 Littlehampton Olympics 2016by Jon Petrie2,440 views
- 3:50 A levels 2009 in Worthing, Angmering, Littlehampton, Lancing, Shoreham and Steyningby WorthingHerald2,003 views
- 9:16 Littlehampton Bonfire 2009 Part 1by LittlehamptonForum593 views
- Loading more suggestions...