What you MUST know about the future
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 20, 2011
The video is about the exponential progression of information technology (exemplified by e.g. Moores Law), and how that in combination with more advanced artificial intelligence (AI) and the reverse-engineering of the human brain in the future could lead to a technological singularity, as theorized by people such as Ray Kurzweil. It discusses the development of technology as an evolutionary process, and shows by examples that evolution is an exponential process. The video also mentions how more advanced technology in the future could enable us to cure aging, and how this can give us eternal life (or at least enable us to live indefinitely), as proposed by people such as Abrey de Grey. The video also mentions the potential of molecular nanotechnology, and technologies such as virtual reality. It argues that investing in science and innovation is the best way of solving our challenges of global warming, resource scarcity, global poverty, and lack of space and resources due to population growth.
To many this video might raise more questions than answers. I have written more extensively about the topics in this video and the questions it arises here for those who are interested and can read Norwegian: http://howisearth.wordpress.com/2010/...
CHARITIES THAT I RECOMMEND
1. The Open Cog Foundation: http://opencog.org/donate/
2. The Foresight Institute: https://www.foresight.org/d/donate
3. The X-prize foundation. Watch video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjokzU.... Donate here: https://www.xprize.org/donate
If you know of good charities promoting research and innovation that will bring about long-term technological progress, then leave a comment, and I´ll consider including them.
A FEW FAQ
1. Won´t the robots turn against us like they do in Hollywood-movies?
I don´t think so. First of all I think we should be careful about assigning future AIs human traits such as egoism, an interest in being highly placed in social ranks, caring mostly for individuals of their own species, etc.
Secondly: If we assign these "artificial" intelligences with the goal of helping humanity, then they will have these goals in mind when creating more intelligent machines.
Thirdly, it won´t necessarily be an us-versus-them-scenario. We will ourselves merge with technology, becoming more then we already are today.
Can robots be conscious?
If the human brain can, then I can´t see why sufficiently advanced machines shouldn´t be able to.
Are nano-factories really possible?
I´m not an expert myself. I will however direct you here: http://www.nanotech-now.com/Press_Kit....
Are you sure computers will keep all the advantages they have over humans when they are made to imitate the human brain?
I´m not an expert. It seems however very likely to me that they would keep some of them, but I´m not completely sure that they would keep all of them.
ABOUT THE LICENSING OF THE MATERIAL I´VE USED
A lot of the pictures I´ve used are in the public domain, and so is all the real-footage I´ve used (which isn´t much). And a lot of pictures have a Creative Commons license. You can find links to all the different pictures with CC-license I have used here: http://licensedmaterialformyvideos.wo.... The links will give you information about the copy-right-holders.
Thank you very much to all of the people who have released your work into the public domain, or given it a CC-license!
I believe that my use of book- and film-covers, as well as a screen-shot from IBMs Watson´s participation in Jeopardy, as qualifying very clearly as being fair use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use.
The graphs with exponential y-axis were produced by Ray Kurzweil and his team. His book can be bought here: http://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Nea....
The animation of a nanofactory, as well as the digitally produced image portraying a nanofactory, were produced by Lizard Fire Studios (John Burch): http://lizardfire.com, and funded by a challenge-grant from nanorex.
OTHER VIDEOS I RECOMMEND
Ralph Merkle - An introduction to Molecular Nanotechnology: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdKyf8fsH6w
Did You Know?: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY
Authors@Google: Ray Kurzweil: www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zo82W7aPI
Beginning of Infinity - A Mashup of techno-optimism!: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUMmpOXU4A
Aubrey de Grey at TEDMED 2009: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLRhxvRlKg
Peter Diamandis - The best way to predict the future: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KxckI8Ttpw
Neil Jacobstein - Artificial Intelligence (part 1 of 2): www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzbIIffA64
- 50:34 Breaking The Cycle: How To Help Kids Out Of Religion! - Phil Ferguson - Skepticon 5by HamboneProductions Featured 7,059
- 1:20:04 The Singularity Is Near (2010) [ 720p HD ]by Bruno Adriani de Pontes37,084 views
- 5:54 Did You Know? The Future Is Better Than You Think!by Tor Barstad38,501 views
- 5:18 CHEMTRAILS: US Military Ownership of GLOBAL Weather, Chemtrails Explainedby FacelesswithEyesOpen4,012 views
- 58:07 BBC Horizon - Life In the Future Special Documentaryby supecx macol423,502 views
- 34:19 Douglas R. Hofstadter - Singularity Summit at Stanfordby Roland Pihlakas12,721 views
- 6:58 Good explanation of the singularityby Tor Barstad3,316 views
- 1:04:37 An Immortal Life? An evening with Aubrey de Greyby ChangingAging3,121 views
- 1:17:40 The Challenge and Promise of Artificial Intelligence, a Bay Area Science Festival Wonder Dialogby ComputerHistory11,297 views
- 9:07 Ralph Merkle - The Future of Nanotechby Singularity University16,122 views
- 14:56 How software already can emulate the brain (Jeff Hawkins on Artificial Intelligence)by Tor Barstad3,339 views
- 2:41 Molecular nanotechnology: The second industrial revolution!by Tor Barstad2,759 views
- 1:13:17 Computing Beyond Turing - Jeff Hawkinsby Calit2ube25,023 views
- 42:43 Aubrey de Grey - Progress in Therapies for Rejuvination and their Delivery - 2011-10-03by Adam Ford3,889 views
- 11:08 Aubrey de Grey - Regenerative Medicineby Adam Ford1,645 views
- 22:13 Big Thinkers - Ralph Merkle [Nanotechnologist]by Pete Machnik4,721 views
- 40:18 Neil Jacobstein - Artificial Intelligence (part 2 of 2)by Singularity University5,418 views
- 8:38 Andrew Hessel on the Future of Synthetic Biologyby Singularity University7,162 views
- 50:04 Nanotechnologies - la révolution invisible 1by MultiversTv101,721 views
- 10:07 Dangers of Molecular Nanotechnology (MNT) Prt 2by vitrohype13,933 views
- Loading more suggestions...