Wingsuit landing without deploying a parachute - Gary Connery
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2012
A stuntman has made aviation history by becoming the first skydiver in the world to land without the use of a parachute.
Gary Connery, 42, from Oxfordshire, leapt from a helicopter a mile above Henley then glided down using a specially adapted wing suit before landing on a "runway" of 18,000 cardboard boxes.
"It was so comfortable, so soft. My calculations obviously worked out and I'm glad they did," he told Sky News afterwards.
His wife Vivian said she was "relieved its all over".
To prepare for the jump he underwent weeks of intensive training in Switzerland and Italy, leaping from mountains and cliffs to perfect his wing suit glide angle.
As part of the preparations, Mr Connery studied the flight of kite birds and how they use their tail to control their flight direction.
"Kites steer by twisting their tail one way or another and I'll be doing the same," he explained before the jump.
Mr Connery made his first parachute jump aged 23 after joining the Army.
He went on to become a professional stuntman, completing 880 skydives and 450 base jumps.
He has acted as stunt-double for the likes of Gary Oldman, John Hurt and Rowan Atkinson and appeared in films such as The Beach, Die Another Day, Batman Begins and Indiana Jones.
He also leapt from the Eiffel Tower, Nelson's Column, Tower Bridge and the London Eye.
"This stunt will get great recognition and will be a post in the runway of aviation history," Mr Connery said beforehand.
"I'm sure plenty of people will think I'm bonkers but that's OK, I take that as a compliment."
Landing a wing suit without a parachute has been a dream of skydivers since the modern wing suit was invented in 1997 by French skydiver and aristocrat Patrick De Gayardon.
The unique design of his suit enabled "pilots" to barrel-roll, swoop and fly in formation.
Tragically, Mr De Gayardon died a year later in a skydiving accident in Hawaii after a modification to his suit caused his parachute to malfunction.
US skydiver Jeb Corliss planned to become the first to land a wing suit without a parachute but his plans were suspended after he was seriously injured during a recent jump in South Africa.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:33 YouTube Through History - Comedy Weekby Above AverageFeatured 553,736
- 4:37 Best of wingsuits 2013 【HD】by FMSportshow 339,132 views
- 2:06 Largest Flying Aircraft Antonov An-225 Crosswind Landing!!!by Jonathan Burdick 585,528 views
- 14:49 Yves Rossy: Fly with the Jetmanby TEDTalks 1,846,386 views
- 1:02 Daredevil flies through waterfallby The Telegraph 2,671,917 views
- 10:58 Tsunami - Caught On Camera - P1by noeuro's channel 43,175,158 views
- 7:40 PEOPLE ARE AWESOME 2013by Thomas Bastien 3,145,602 views
- 5:45 World's Fastest Motorcycle JET POWERED!by hammaglamma 682,953 views
- 4:42 Ultra light Autogyroby Shawn Adams 455,696 views
- 5:04 Wingsuit World Recordby US Army Parachute Team 743,831 views
- 4:25 The Wingsuit Landing Projectby wingsuitflying 351,751 views
- 3:43 Glide Ratio - Wingsuit VS Parachuteby Lauren Martins 46,889 views
- 2:26 Wingsuit Cloud Surfingby XTREME BASE JUMP 282,269 views
- 7:42 PEOPLE ARE AWESOME 2013 [NEW VERSION]by Monthly Winners 3,573,059 views
- 2:34 Gary Connery's Wingsuit Landing without using a Parachuteby Gary Connery 181,809 views
- 9:18 Sky Diving in Arubaby DW2284 5,401,589 views
- 1:30 US Army Wing Suit Recordby Popular Military Videos 1,079,254 views
- 12:04 Crosswind Landings during a storm at Düsseldorf on an icy runway. Boeing 777, Airbus A340, A330by Cargospotter 945,905 views
- 42:46 Jamel Shariff Live "Pay for Play" Prostitution Uncovered In The Dominican Republic (HD)by TRILLS TV NETWORK 1,484,587 views
- 3:54 AK47 VS. AR15 - SPEED SHOOTby MAN - WOMAN - GUNS 282,657 views
- Loading more suggestions...