This video is unavailable.
Wingsuit landing without deploying a parachute - Gary Connery
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2012
A stuntman has made aviation history by becoming the first skydiver in the world to land without the use of a parachute.
Gary Connery, 42, from Oxfordshire, leapt from a helicopter a mile above Henley then glided down using a specially adapted wing suit before landing on a "runway" of 18,000 cardboard boxes.
"It was so comfortable, so soft. My calculations obviously worked out and I'm glad they did," he told Sky News afterwards.
His wife Vivian said she was "relieved its all over".
To prepare for the jump he underwent weeks of intensive training in Switzerland and Italy, leaping from mountains and cliffs to perfect his wing suit glide angle.
As part of the preparations, Mr Connery studied the flight of kite birds and how they use their tail to control their flight direction.
"Kites steer by twisting their tail one way or another and I'll be doing the same," he explained before the jump.
Mr Connery made his first parachute jump aged 23 after joining the Army.
He went on to become a professional stuntman, completing 880 skydives and 450 base jumps.
He has acted as stunt-double for the likes of Gary Oldman, John Hurt and Rowan Atkinson and appeared in films such as The Beach, Die Another Day, Batman Begins and Indiana Jones.
He also leapt from the Eiffel Tower, Nelson's Column, Tower Bridge and the London Eye.
"This stunt will get great recognition and will be a post in the runway of aviation history," Mr Connery said beforehand.
"I'm sure plenty of people will think I'm bonkers but that's OK, I take that as a compliment."
Landing a wing suit without a parachute has been a dream of skydivers since the modern wing suit was invented in 1997 by French skydiver and aristocrat Patrick De Gayardon.
The unique design of his suit enabled "pilots" to barrel-roll, swoop and fly in formation.
Tragically, Mr De Gayardon died a year later in a skydiving accident in Hawaii after a modification to his suit caused his parachute to malfunction.
US skydiver Jeb Corliss planned to become the first to land a wing suit without a parachute but his plans were suspended after he was seriously injured during a recent jump in South Africa.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:38 Lauren | Season 2, Ep. 1 of 12 | Feat. Troian Bellisario & Jennifer Beals | WIGSby WIGSFeatured 471,051
- 10:58 Tsunami - Caught On Camera - P1by noeuro 44,849,068 views
- 4:37 Best of wingsuits 2013 【HD】by FMSportshow 687,946 views
- 1:02 Daredevil flies through waterfallby telegraphtv 2,722,640 views
- 4:28 Wingsuit Double Malfunctionby TLobSkydive 252,499 views
- 1:30 US Army Wing Suit Recordby MilitaryNewsNetwork 1,091,967 views
- 5:04 Wingsuit World Recordby usarmygoldenknights 773,275 views
- 6:44 Any Redneck Sundayby luvmy08husky 2,775,831 views
- 5:39 The Troy Hartman Jetpackby Troy Hartman 404,595 views
- 4:25 The Wingsuit Landing Projectby wingsuitflying 370,544 views
- 9:18 Sky Diving in Arubaby DW2284 5,515,800 views
- 45:48 Onboard Air Force Oneby GOAF2014 1,524,594 views
- 4:16 AMAZING TALENT AND PEOPLE COMPILATIONby krnassassin1 6,093,422 views
- 4:42 Ultra light Autogyroby Shawn Adams 560,269 views
- 2:26 Wingsuit Cloud Surfingby Xtremebasejump 290,222 views
- 5:22 Alexander Polli Wingsuit Downhill Gate Bashing: Precision Of Human Flightby Alexander Polli 562,309 views
- 3:32 Group of 2014 C7 Corvette Stingrays caught on the street - Arizonaby CorvetteSevenDotCom Tran 451,298 views
- 5:38 SENSE OF FLYINGby Goovinn 3,170,517 views
- 2:06 Largest Flying Aircraft Antonov An-225 Crosswind Landing!!!by Jonathan Burdick 805,011 views
- 4:51 Alexander Polli, Tracksuit, Wingsuit Flying: Reality Of Human Flightby Alexander Polli 1,830,098 views
- Loading more suggestions...