NASA | Black Hole Launches 'Bullets' of Gas.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 10, 2012
Using observations from NASA's Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer (RXTE) satellite and the National Science Foundation's (NSF) Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA) radio telescope, an international team of astronomers has identified the moment when a black hole in our galaxy launched superfast knots of gas into space.
Racing outward at about one-quarter the speed of light, these "bullets" of ionized gas are thought to arise from a region located just outside the black hole's event horizon, the point beyond which nothing can escape.
The research centered on the mid-2009 outburst of a binary system known as H1743-322, located about 28,000 light-years away toward the constellation Scorpius. Discovered by NASA's HEAO-1 satellite in 1977, the system is composed of a normal star and a black hole of modest but unknown masses.
Their orbit around each other is measured in days, which puts them so close together that the black hole pulls a continuous stream of matter from its stellar companion. The flowing gas forms a flattened accretion disk millions of miles across, several times wider than our sun, centered on the black hole. As matter swirls inward, it is compressed and heated to tens of millions of degrees, so hot that it emits X-rays.
Some of the infalling matter becomes re-directed out of the accretion disk as dual, oppositely directed jets. Most of the time, the jets consist of a steady flow of particles. Occasionally, though, they morph into more powerful outflows that hurl massive gas blobs at significant fractions of the speed of light.
This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?10869
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 6:54 A Journey into a Black Holeby tdarnellFeatured 761,167
- 3:27 NASA | Colliding Neutron Stars Create Black Hole and Gamma-ray Burstby NASAexplorer 101,890 views
- 2:42 NASA | Evolution of the Moonby NASAexplorer 2,983,317 views
- 1:11 NASA | X-ray 'Echoes' Probe Habitat of Monster Black Holeby NASAexplorer 117,396 views
- 4:40 NASA | Tour of the Moonby NASAexplorer 795,537 views
- 69 videos Play all Astrophysicsby NASAexplorer
- 2:55 Breaking News: NASA Finds Strange Objects Around Our Sun (part 1 of 2)by SolarStormWarning 636,164 views
- 0:59 NASA | Radio Telescopes Capture Best-Ever Snapshot of a Black Hole's Jetby NASAexplorer 247,483 views
- 1:32 NASA | RXTE Detects 'Heartbeat' Of Smallest Black Hole Candidateby NASAexplorer 78,234 views
- 2:44 NASA | The Truth about 2012 - Solar Stormsby NASAexplorer 307,239 views
- Black hole 16,931 videos957
- 1:05 MYSTERIOUS SPHERE found in NORTH TEXAS! NASA INVESTIGATES IT.by Mauricio Ruiz 3,526,579 views
- 6:57 DARVAZA GAS CRATER IN TURKMENISTAN - DOOR TO HELLby fedele49 764,480 views
- 4:54 Black Hole Meltdown in the Galactic Centerby SpaceRip 231,413 views
- 1:33 NASA | Afterschool Universe: Supernova Ball Bounceby NASAexplorer 28,297 views
- 6:51 Tormenta solar catastrófica para 2012 2013by RESISTENCIALIMITE 557,100 views
- 0:30 NASA | Biggest Solar Storm Since 2003by NASAexplorer 123,986 views
- 2:44 What's Inside a Black Hole?by SpaceRip 1,719,417 views
- 3:55 NASA | An Introduction to Aquaby NASAexplorer 12,360 views
- 0:26 NASA | Animation: NASA's Swift Satellite Spots Black Hole Devouring A Starby NASAexplorer 1,267,364 views
- 3:47 The View from Space - Countries and Coastlinesby SpaceRip 804,224 views
- 0:27 NASA | Temperature Data: 1880-2011by NASAexplorer 334,307 views
- Loading more suggestions...