Fracking Hell: The Untold Story
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 11, 2011
Watch more Earth Focus at http://www.linktv.org/earthfocus
An original investigative report by Earth Focus and UK's Ecologist Film Unit looks at the risks of natural gas development in the Marcellus Shale. From toxic chemicals in drinking water to unregulated interstate dumping of potentially radioactive waste that experts fear can contaminate water supplies in major population centers including New York City, are the health consequences worth the economic gains?
Marcellus Shale contains enough natural gas to supply all US gas needs for 14 years. But as gas drilling takes place, using a process called hydraulic fracturing or "fracking," toxic chemicals and methane gas seep into drinking water. Now experts fear that unacceptable levels of radioactive Radium 226 in gas development waste.
Fracking chemicals are linked to bone, liver and breast cancers, gastrointestinal, circulatory, respiratory, developmental as well as brain and nervous system disorders. Such chemicals are present in frack waste and may find their way into drinking water and air.
Waste from Pennsylvania gas wells -- waste that may also contain unacceptable levels of radium -- is routinely dumped across state lines into landfills in New York, Ohio and West Virginia. New York does not require testing waste for radioactivity prior to dumping or treatment. So drill cuttings from Pennsylvania have been dumped in New York's Chemung and other counties and liquid waste is shipped to treatment plants in Auburn and Watertown New York. How radioactive is this waste? Experts are calling are for testing to find out.
New York State may have been the first state in the nation to put a temporary hold on fracking pending a safety review, but it allows other states to dump toxic frack waste within its boundaries.
With a gas production boom underway in the Marcellus Shale and plans for some 400,000 wells in the coming decades, the cumulative impact of dumping potential lethal waste without adequate oversight is a catastrophe waiting to happen. And now U.S. companies are exporting fracking to Europe.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:51 The reason I quit working in the ND oilfieldby lasvegascollapseFeatured 78,368
- 4:43 Genetically Modified Salmon - Coming Soon?by linktv 19,377 views
- 11:37 Chernobyl - The Real Storyby Link TV 18,038 views
- 27:42 Toxic Environments: US and Chinaby linktv 6,038 views
- 6:26 MIR: Israel vs. Iran: The Writing Is on the Wallby Link TV 474,119 views
- 41:21 Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coaliti 55,040 views
- Hydraulic fracturing 7,575 videos19
- 34:29 Truthland: Dispatches from the Real Gasland - Full Movie [HD]by TruthlandMovie's channel 75,875 views
- 9:48 i got arrested 4 posting this vidby SickNick69 9,903,845 views
- 7:18 Hydraulic Fracturing 3D Animationby TrialExhibits 48,029 views
- 3:20 Oilfield Directional Drilling Nightmare.mp4by RoughneckCity Videos 589,783 views
- 1:20 Air Force of Iranby Iran Defense League 1,003,999 views
- 3:33 CNN Explains: Frackingby CNN 67,495 views
- 4:11 Worker killed while venting tankerby WorkSafeBC 449,263 views
- 24:17 Unearthed: The Fracking Facadeby uneartheddocumentary 41,373 views
- 11:41 "Gasland" Director Josh Fox Arrested at Congressional Hearing on Natural Gas Frackingby Democracy Now! 37,212 views
- 29:35 North American Drilling Corporation: Video tour of drilling rig....by NADCnews 169,281 views
- 10 videos Play all FAQs about Marcellus Shale Frackingby NRCCEwvu
- 4:59 Fox News Fracking Fumble on Halliburton Loophole?by LiberalViewer's Media and Political Analysis 48,290 views
- 4:44 ND OIL TRUCKER TALKS REALITIES OF LIFE IN THE ND OIL FIELDS - OIL JOBS - WHEATHERby David Query 17,179 views
- 11:39 Tar Sands Oil Extraction - The Dirty Truthby Sustainable Guidance 189,500 views
- 14:24 Advice for people moving to Williston ND north dakotaby wrbuford13 16,297 views
- Loading more suggestions...