Meteorite Explosion - Russia Chelyabinsk 2/15/2013 - Asteroid expected to pass close by Earth
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 15, 2013
From RT: http://rt.com/news/russia-meteor-mete...
The Russian Urals region has been stricken by a sudden cosmic attack. Unidentified flying objects exploded over several major cities, including Chelyabinsk, where the blast waves blew out windows and disrupted mobile connections.
The Emergency Ministry said the incident was caused by a shower of meteorite debris. Unconfirmed reports suggested that a meteorite was shot down by Russian air defenses. Multiple dashboard videos appeared online, showing huge fireballs flying over buildings and exploding with a strong blast. A local zinc factory was the worst-hit, with some of its walls collapsed.
Fireball explosion wreaks havoc across region.
'Shock and frustration': Locals report on meteorite crash in Russian Urals (VIDEO)
A man identifying himself as Viktor poses for a photograph after receiving treatment for injuries sustained from a shock wave that followed after a falling object was sighted in the sky in the Urals region, at an emergency room in a hospital in Chelyabinsk February 15, 2013.(Reuters / Andrei Kuzmin)
9:07 GMT: "The object could be about a meter in diameter and weigh a few tons," said Valeriy Shuvalov of the Institute of Geosphere Dynamics. "As it entered the atmosphere, it broke into a cloud of pieces that flew on, creating a blast wave and emitting light. That's where the flashes came from, as well as broken windows. Most of the object's material evaporated, the remaining pieces slowed down and fell. It was most likely of iron nature as it penetrated so far through the atmosphere. However, we still don't have the exact data on the debris."
8:56 GMT: The Chelyabinsk regional governor reported that an emergency team discovered that a meteorite fell into a lake near the town of Chebarkul.
8:49 GMT: The number of people requesting medical assistance has risen to 500.
8:30 GMT: Residents of Chelyabinsk buy out plastic wrap to screen the windows blown off by the meteor shower blast wave, as temperatures are expected to fall to -14°C at night.
8:20 GMT: More than 400 people have requested medical attention for minor injuries after a meteor shower hit the Russian Urals region. The number of injured may change, police said.
Damaged factory in Chelyabinsk. Photo from znak.com
CCTV cameras register the moment of explosion
8:10 GMT: Oleg Malkov, an aerospace scientist at Moscow State University, told Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper that the meteorite went undetected by space scanners, likely because it was coming from the direction of the Sun. "We can only register stones coming from the direction of the night sky," he explained. Malkov confirmed that the meteor shower in the Urals was not connected to the 2012DA14 asteroid that will approach Earth in a few hours.
8:03 GMT:Up to 250 injured, 3 in critical condition after meteorite hits
7:46 GMT: Ekaterinburg's observatory has officially deemed the incident a fireball meteor shower. No evacuations were called for, and radiation levels were determined to be normal.
7:40 GMT: Vice Premier Dmitry Rogozin wrote on Twitter that he will offer suggestions to Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev on how to prevent or mitigate meteorite damage in future.
7:30 GMT: The number of people seeking medical attention has risen to 150.
* Thank You RT for keeping updates on the matter, also thanks to all the people who's videos are included in the compilation. It is uploaded for educational and informational matters. No profit being made. For more recent update, please use the RT link from the beginning of the info.
Music: Red Button TV (Music for the YouTube backgrounds)
If anyone wishes to re-upload this video, please do so, but please preserve the links and references from the video info.
Thank You for watching.
Originally uploaded by RedButtonTV1
Standard YouTube License
- Created using YouTube Video Editor
- View attributions
- 1:12 Russian meteor impact footageby GlobalLeaksFeatured 535,121
- 1:31 UFO 2013 Anderson Cooper LEAKED CNN FOOTAGE HDby TheRamboHawkz 234,214 views
- 1:48 Amazing UFO attacked the meteorite to defend ourselves, Russia, Feb 15, 2013 HDby ✦ UFOvni ☮ UFOlogist ✦ 228,587 views
- 1:17 Birds vs Planesby dmutantx 11,684,596 views
- 4:22 Russia Reveals Hidden Treasure in 35 million year old Asteroid Craterby desertrosetx 437,415 views
- 1:14 Meteorite falls over Russian Urals - At Least 400 injures - UFO/Meteorite (15.02.2013)by TheAmazingViral 418,661 views
- 44:24 Cosmic Collisions-Asteroid Impact Documentaryby DarkMattersTV 39,169 views
- 0:29 Russian Asteroid MASSIVE CRATER - MUST SEE 2-15-2013by Cole Flournoy 303,807 views
- 4:13 jon stewart on an unfazed russia over the meteor explosion , just how fucked up are they all ?by Dave Fazekas 265,584 views
- 2:36 2012 DA14 ASTEROID COMING THIS WEEK!!by TheLifebeyondearth 560,809 views
- 2:01 Meteor falls at Russia near Chelyabinsk. Filmed in Magnitogorskby paladinMgn 3,060,221 views
- 1:22 Meteorito cae en Rusia 15 de febrero del 2013by ezlary1 5,085,029 views
- 2:25 Russian Meteor: Best footage compilation FULLby John Kocalis 28,380 views
- 7:09 Skyfall: Hundreds injured as meteorite wreaks havoc in Russia's Uralsby RussiaToday 2,531,528 views
- 1:47 Dramatic video of Clelia II Antarctic cruise ship slammed by giant wavesby RussiaToday 9,615,841 views
- 1:01 tsunamiby HongLin 7,137,237 views
- 3:46 A Meteorite Hit My House - Cool Science Experimentby SteveSpanglerScience 166,141 views
- 0:24 Tank Camion Crashby 33Bjc 5,725,829 views
- 6:20 20-Hiroshimas-Strong: Meteorite blast devastates Russia's Uralsby RussiaToday 568,114 views
- 1:01 RUSSIA, METEOR BLAST IN LOCAL SCHOOL !! Meteor Hits Russia. (15.02.2013)by TheAmazingViral 183,552 views
- Loading more suggestions...