Jon Ferrara of Nimble - TWiST #189
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 20, 2011
Join our new mailing list and be the first to learn about upcoming guests! Go to thisweekin.com/email.
0:00-1:00 Welcome to TWiST everyone!
1:00-3:00 We make be taking this show on the road to London and Paris, right Tyler?
3:00-4:00 If you want all the TWiST insidery goodness, join the TWiST Backchannel! Go to twistlist.co to join right now.
4:00-6:00 Thank you to GoToMeeting for sponsoring the show.
6:00-7:30 We're here today with Jon Ferrara, CEO of Nimble and former founder of GoldMine.
10:30-11:30 How did you fund the company when you were just 27?
13:00-15:15 So you got the VARs (value added retailers) to manage their own sales people and then the clients used it too?
15:15-16:15 The CRM software put a hand around the neck of the sales people? So it's babysitting them?
16:15-18:30 How do you separate the relationships that the employees have with their clients from those that the company has with the clients?
18:30-19:30 Let's take a tour of Nimble.
19:30-20:30 Jon shares the premise behind Nimble: platform unity.
20:30-23:30 How long have you been working on this project?
25:00-26:30 What if I start dating someone and it pulls that info it? Is it buyer beware?
26:30-28:00 What are you charging for this?
28:00-32:30 Thank you to Hiscox for sponsoring the show. Let's take a look at a Q&A session I had with Jim Whetstone from Hiscox about how they help protect small businesses.
32:30-35:00 So during your break, Salesforce.com really took out. When you think about it, what do you think?
35:00-35:45 If someone won't tell you the price of something, don't you think it's a good indication that you're about to get ripped off?
35:45-37:30 Insight from Tyler: It's like being a graveyard shift security guard at a mattress shop.
37:30-39:15 What hasn't changed about running a company today?
39:15-41:30 So you get the person who doesn't have a lot of experience and train them up?
43:15-46:00 Are you a single founder this go-around? Are you funding this yourself?
46:00-47:45 Jason recounts his experience with seeking funding when he founded Mahalo.
47:45-50:00 Jon recounts when he met a VC at Sequoia who went above and beyond to connect.
50:00-52:15 Question from the chat: How did Jon get Nimble.com and how much did it cost?
52:15-53:30 What was the hardest moment in the history of GoldMine?
53:30-56:00 Jon tells a story about when he was 90 days into GoldMine and his future wife moved in with him and his co-founder.
57:30-58:00 Jason: I'm asking everyone to go try Nimble.com.
58:00-58:15 If you're a developer who wants to work at Nimble, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
58:15-01:01:15 Thank you to GoToMeeting and Hiscox for sponsoring the show.
01:01:15-01:04:30 If your kid asks for money for either college or to start a business, would you give him the choice?
01:04:30-01:04:45 Jon: We're going to announce the MailChimp and Nimble integration soon.
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Multilingual? Translate this episode of TWiST into another language and email the transcript to email@example.com
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Keep up with the latest from our sister company LAUNCH:
The 50+ Startups TechCrunch Didn't Cover--But We Did
Facebook News Ticker Provides Live Account of Friends' Activity
Klout Finally Integrates Google+
Vimeo Rumored to Launch Music Store Tomorrow
Very Meta: Kickstarter Project for "KickStarter the Movie"
Special thanks to the members of the TWiST Backchannel Producer Program! See a list of all the members of the program at twistlist.co
Louis-Eric Simard, Benjamin Gifford, Jacek Artymiak, Octavian Mihai, Will Paoletto, Geoffrey Clapp, Eien Hyett, Jeff Hoffer, Kyle Lonzo, Austin Miller, Rashaun Sourles, Robb Kunz, Greg Berry, Sean Lynch, Mary Ann Halford, Jim Joyce, Morgan Howard, Margaret Johns, Kyle M. Brown, Paul Cole, Nick Duncan, Magnus Ingvarsson, Amir Ayalon, Carlos Zaidenweber, Avery Keitt, Joshua Shipsey
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by ThisWeekIn 23,614 views
- 1:21:39 Travis Kalanick of Uber - TWiST #180by ThisWeekIn 8,805 views
- 1:07:03 - Startups - Jake Winebaum of Brighter.com - TWiST #191by ThisWeekIn 2,913 views
- 45:27 - Startups - London Meetup on TWiST #153by ThisWeekIn 2,033 views
- 1:20:58 Kevin Systrom of Instagram- TWiST #196by ThisWeekIn 9,961 views
- 1:21:22 News Roundtable with Jason Nazar and James Altucher - TWiST #175by This Week In 2,768 views
- 1:18:50 - Startups - Dmitry Shapiro of Anybeat - TWiST #187by This Week In 3,870 views
- 1:22:33 Arnie Gullov-Singh of Ad.ly - TWiST #177by This Week In 3,297 views
- 1:19:49 - Startups - News Roundtable with Paul Kedrosky and William Quigley - TWiST #182by ThisWeekIn 2,726 views
- 19:38 Relationship experts will love Nimble.by Robert Scoble 1,387 views
- 1:27:18 Shark Tank Takeover - TWiST #183by ThisWeekIn 7,312 views
- 1:24:04 - Startups - Dan Gould of Chill - TWiST #204by This Week In 2,861 views
- 1:11:35 David Helgason of Unity Technologies on TWiST #157by ThisWeekIn 3,182 views
- 1:14:06 News Roundtable with Brian Alvey and Dave Mathews - TWiST #171by ThisWeekIn 2,828 views
- 1:03:34 Seoul, South Korea Meetup - TWiST #184by This Week In 7,309 views
- 55:28 Jason's ReadWriteWeb Talk in NYC - TWiST #169by ThisWeekIn 2,814 views
- 21:45 Lockhart Steele of Curbed and Eater - TWiST #173 Bonusby ThisWeekIn 1,216 views
- 53:22 Chris Dixon of Hunch - TWiST #172by ThisWeekIn 4,369 views
- 17:30 - Startups - Lukas Biewald of CrowdFlower on TWiST #154 Bonusby ThisWeekIn 1,541 views