Protecting Freedom In The Patent System: The Public Patent Foundation's Missi...
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 3, 2008
Google Tech Talks
August 6, 2008
Many patents granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office ("PTO") are undeserved. They are granted for several reasons, including that the PTO is not aware of significant prior art (knowledge already in the public domain), that the PTO's employees are not given sufficient time and resources to do an effective screening of patent applications and that the rules regarding how patents are granted are skewed through perverse patent policy to favor the granting of patents. Undeserved patents injure the public because they can be used by private actors to preclude activity that would otherwise be permissible, if not desirable. This causes prices for goods to be artificially high, the advancement of science to be thwarted, and civil liberties to be inappropriately restrained.
The Public Patent Foundation ("PUBPAT") is a not-for-profit legal services organization whose mission is to represent the public interest against the harms caused by errors in the patent system, and particularly the harms caused by undeserved patents and unsound patent policy. PUBPAT provides the general public and specific persons or entities otherwise deprived of access to the system governing patents with representation, advocacy and education. In this Google Tech Talk, PUBPAT's Founder and Executive Director, Mr. Daniel B. Ravicher, will discuss PUBPAT's mission in greater detail and describe the specific activities PUBPAT undertakes to accomplish that mission.
Speaker: Daniel B. Ravicher
Daniel B. Ravicher is Executive Director of the Public Patent Foundation ("PUBPAT") and a Lecturer in Law and Associate Director of the Intellectual Property Law Program at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. Prior to founding PUBPAT, Mr. Ravicher was associated with the patent law practice groups of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, LLP, and Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler, LLP, all in New York, and served the Honorable Randall R. Rader, Circuit Judge for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. Mr. Ravicher is a registered patent attorney and he writes and speaks frequently on patent law, including testifying before the U.S. Congress on the topic of patent reform. As a result of his accomplishments and professional reputation, IP Law & Business magazine included Mr. Ravicher on its 'Top 50 Under 45' list for 2008. Mr. Ravicher received his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was the Franklin O'Blechman Scholar of his class, a Mortimer Caplin Public Service award recipient and an Editor of the Virginia Journal of Law and Technology, and his bachelors degree in materials science magna cum laude with University Honors from the University of South Florida.
This Google Tech Talk was hosted by Boris Debic.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:04 2011's most incredible inventionsby CBSNewsOnlineFeatured 250,215
- 1:37:42 The Extended Mind: Recent Experimental Evidenceby GoogleTechTalks 294,338 views
- 1:02:18 The Patent Pollution Problem: Its Causes, Effects and Solutionsby GoogleTechTalks 9,231 views
- 56:31 The Secret History of Silicon Valleyby GoogleTechTalks 219,133 views
- 58:08 No Time to Thinkby GoogleTechTalks 131,286 views
- 12 videos Play all Intellectual Propertyby lacomj
- 49:21 Intellectual Property: Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrightby DardenMBA 18,480 views
- 52:02 Intellectual Property: How to Review a Patent Applicationby UCtelevision 26,380 views
- 27:29 Protect & Market Your Ideas & Inventionsby Daniel Bender 103,615 views
- 57:57 Software Patent Debateby ComputerHistory 4,787 views
- 9:56 Monsanto Patent for a Pig (Pt.1 of 5)by sowhtttt 119,019 views
- 56:02 Rethinking IP Completely | Stephan Kinsellaby LibertyInOurTime 5,051 views
- 57:53 Larry Wall Speaks at Googleby GoogleTechTalks 45,643 views
- 3:58 Patent attorney's advice on how to protect your brilliant ideaby DiceOutLoud 14,740 views
- 1:05:21 Transform Your Mind, Change Your Brainby GoogleTechTalks 524,992 views
- 4:37 patent warsby matrixware 23,591 views
- 3:20 How to Get a Patent in 5 Stepsby NoroIP 26,436 views
- 14:23 Intellectual Property Law - Tutorial 1 - Introductionby Reviewsforyoutoo 5,211 views
- 2:36 Will a Patent Attorney Steal My Invention? Chicago Patent Attorney Richard Beem Explainsby beemlaw 5,665 views
- 48:33 Wuala - a distributed file systemby GoogleTechTalks 85,630 views
- 1:20:48 The Patent Game: Experiments in the Cathedral of Lawby GoogleTechTalks 3,186 views