FDR's Economic Bill of Rights
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 28, 2009
Our Economic Bill of Rights ..what's the hold up?
[Excerpt from President Roosevelt's January 11, 1944 message to the Congress of the United States on the State of the Union]
It is our duty now to begin to lay the plans and determine the strategy for the winning of a lasting peace and the establishment of an American standard of living higher than ever before known. We cannot be content, no matter how high that general standard of living may be, if some fraction of our people—whether it be one-third or one-fifth or one-tenth—is ill-fed, ill-clothed, ill-housed, and insecure.
This Republic had its beginning, and grew to its present strength, under the protection of certain inalienable political rights—among them the right of free speech, free press, free worship, trial by jury, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. They were our rights to life and liberty.
As our nation has grown in size and stature, however—as our industrial economy expanded—these political rights proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness.
We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. Necessitous men are not free men. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.
In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all—regardless of station, race, or creed.
Among these are:
1. The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
2. The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
3. The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
4. The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
5. The right of every family to a decent home;
6. The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
7. The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
8. The right to a good education.
All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.
Americas own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for our citizens.
For unless there is security here at home, there can not be lasting peace in the world.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:32:14 Tora! Tora! Tora! - The Real Story of Pearl Harborby VentosDeGuerra226,653 views
- 45:04 Pearl Harbor: Disaster for Japan | National Geographics Documentary | Military & Warby DocumentaryRoom887,398 views
- 26:10 All in the Family S2 E12 Cousin Maude's Visitby rob brunelle18,576 views
- 6:27 Pearl Harbor - Dec. 7, 1941 - The only color film of the attackby CVL23USSPRINCETON169,424 views
- 2:57:13 Hitler - El Reinado del mal [ESPAÑOL] - [COMPLETO]by SephironHD2,118,578 views
- 1:10:44 Hitler in Colourby l0rnz0r2,816,819 views
- 26:19 All in the Family S1 E3 Oh, My Aching Backby rob brunelle35,954 views
- 45:03 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Hitler's Stealth Fighter (720P)by SUPERIOR HISTORY5,697,138 views
- 109 videos Play all Food4Thoughtby Markel87
- 26:03 All in the Family S1 E7 Mike's Hippie Friends Come to Visitby rob brunelle27,490 views
- 10:00 The "N" Word Unbleeped, All in the Family/ George Jeffersonby abanthro118,695 views
- 4:04 "We Were Stunned When We Saw This in Michael Moore's Latest Film" — Claire Shipman of ABC Newsby mmflint242,666 views
- 26:16 All in the Family S1 E8 Lionel Moves Into the Neighborhoodby rob brunelle45,666 views
- 1:53:40 The Obama Deception HQ Full length versionby ChangeDaChannel13,543,394 views
- 5:37 FDR Fireside Chat. 2nd Bill of Rightsby gkgreger17,258 views
- 3:10 Archie Bunker predicts conditions under Obamaby Dean Pennington194,305 views
- 2:01 FDR Second Bill of Rights Speech Footageby KillWill3131,074 views
- 1:14 Michael Moore's 'Capitalism: A Love Story' - Flint Sit-Down Strikeby mmflint33,885 views
- 3:47 Michael Moore: What We're Seeing is the End of Capitalismby mmflint556,193 views
- 46:45 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Hitler's Sunken Secretby SUPERIOR HISTORY943,803 views