FDR's Economic Bill of Rights
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 28, 2009
Our Economic Bill of Rights ..what's the hold up?
[Excerpt from President Roosevelt's January 11, 1944 message to the Congress of the United States on the State of the Union]
It is our duty now to begin to lay the plans and determine the strategy for the winning of a lasting peace and the establishment of an American standard of living higher than ever before known. We cannot be content, no matter how high that general standard of living may be, if some fraction of our people—whether it be one-third or one-fifth or one-tenth—is ill-fed, ill-clothed, ill-housed, and insecure.
This Republic had its beginning, and grew to its present strength, under the protection of certain inalienable political rights—among them the right of free speech, free press, free worship, trial by jury, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. They were our rights to life and liberty.
As our nation has grown in size and stature, however—as our industrial economy expanded—these political rights proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness.
We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. Necessitous men are not free men. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.
In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all—regardless of station, race, or creed.
Among these are:
1. The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
2. The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
3. The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
4. The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
5. The right of every family to a decent home;
6. The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
7. The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
8. The right to a good education.
All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.
Americas own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for our citizens.
For unless there is security here at home, there can not be lasting peace in the world.
Standard YouTube License
- 45:03 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Hitler's Stealth Fighter 720Pby Superior HistoryFeatured 1,041,320
- 4:47 Franklin Roosevelt -Second Bill of Rightsby Brent Abrahamson 74,699 views
- 2:01 FDR Second Bill of Rights Speech Footageby KillWill3 122,140 views
- 28:26 PRESIDENT KENNEDY'S STATE OF THE UNION MESSAGEby Public.Resource.Org 14,846 views
- 5:37 FDR Fireside Chat. 2nd Bill of Rightsby gkgreger 16,881 views
- Franklin D. Roosevelt 11,284 videos52
- 2:16 Roosevelt's Second Bill Of Rightsby n4mwd 3,792 views
- 3:45 FDR Economic Recovery Plan, Fireside Chat #4 1933/10/23by Universal Newsreels 76,252 views
- 2:14 FDR in 1936 and 2008by actorallanrich 90,197 views
- 3:02 FDR: I Welcome Their Hatredby heckofjob's channel 64,136 views
- 2:01 FDR Second Bill of Rights (restored)by natjohnson2009's channel 14,993 views
- 4:28 America's 21st Century Economic Royalistsby Jim Harrison 2,736 views
- 8:00 FDR DECLARES WAR (12/8/41) - Franklin Delano Roosevelt , WWII , Infamy Speech , 24400by PeriscopeFilm 6,600 views
- 9:44 I welcome their hatred F D Rooseveltby Brent Abrahamson 51,889 views
- 9:38 FDR1936pt1.mp4by Brent Abrahamson 1,082 views
- 1:55 Labor Day - FDR - Second Bill of Rightsby houston750007 1,848 views
- 1:54 FDR's 2nd Bill Of Rightsby watchwinder 5,752 views
- 9:05 Franklin D Roosevelt's speech after Pearl Harborby GeneralWAS 11,393 views
- 1:04 FDR: WARNING ABOUT TODAY'S REPUBLICANSby The Goodlucks 324,761 views
- 5:10 FDR's first fireside chat: the banking crisisby JoeInRuralGeorgia 31,649 views
- 2:15 ELEANOR ROOSEVELT 'BUMPED' INTO OUR FAMILY OUTING TO HYDE PARKby rantsnslants 1,731 views
- Loading more suggestions...