Two Jews On Shame
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 30, 2011
'Shame' Film Review
By Joan Alperin-Schwartz
A goodlooking man in his thirties sits on a New York City subway starring intensely at a married woman seated across from him. It's obvious to the viewer that he's hitting on her and it's just as obvious, that's she's enjoying it.
The man is Brandon (Michael Fassbender) and he is a sex addict. Thanks to Steve McQueen's brilliant direction, we get to be a voyeur into Brandon's depraved but always fascinating world.
Brandon lives in a sterile New York City apartment...Everything is neat and orderly...which is a sharp contrast to his everyday life.
Brandon has a successful career, his co-workers like him, and he's very good friends with his boss, Dave (James Badge Dale)...There is one, slightly embarassing moment between the two guys...Dave chews out Brandon for having way too much porn on his hard drive...
Of course, Brandon doesn't only spend his time surfing the web for hot, naked girls. He's busy masturbating at least several times a day...at home and in the bathroom at work.
When he's not pleasuring himself, Brandon trolls the local bars, hooking up with random women. And if that doesn't do the trick to quench his sexual urges, he picks up the phone and orders up a prostitute.
Brandon doesn't enjoy sex. He needs sex...the way a person needs air and water. Brandon's terrified of intimacy.
He goes out on a date with a fellow co-worker, Marianne (Nicole Beharie). They get along great, but at the end of the night instead of making love to Marianne, Brandon hooks-up with a call girl.
All that said, Brandon seems to be managing just fine, until...
His suicidal sister, Sissy (Carey Mulligan) comes to visit, sending him on a downward spiral.
Besides, making a film about an addict, McQueen, through these two psychically damaged characters, has made a movie about a very different New York. He shows us a city filled nameless, lonely people, riding the subways, going to bars, restaurants...trying to make a connection...
...A connection that Brandon and Sissy so desperately want...But when Sissy stands in front of a microphone at a downtown nightclub, singing a very slow rendition of 'New York, New York'and tears stream down Brandon's face, we realize, that a connection...is the one thing that these two people...may never have.
'Shame' is a must see for anyone that loves edgy, dark, and visually stunning filmmaking. It opens in theaters, Friday, December 2, 2011 and because of the subject matter has an NC 17 rating.
The 'Two Jews On Film' were fairly close with their bagel rating...Check out our video, to see what John thought about this film.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:00 Girl In Trouble (Brother Caught Everything on Cam)by cheezx215Featured 4,105,209
- 6:15 Shame - Brandon and Sissy's heated argumentby AcademyAwardsPerson 57,857 views
- 19:48 On-Set Footage 'A Dangerous Method'by MakingOf 3,800 views
- 4:15 Shame - bar sceneby osiris3yhn 57,517 views
- 3:57 Shame: Uncensored Director's Cut (Trailer Spoof)by Brian Reiss 20,479 views
- 6:22 Interview: Michael Fassbender, Steve McQueen on 'Shame,' sex and moreby MattPaisRedEye 26,732 views
- 15:21 Carey Mulligan talks 'Shame'by MakingOf 15,148 views
- 24:43 Michael Fassbender 'A Dangerous Method'by The Hollywood Reporter 22,944 views
- 2:58 Women vs men in bathroomby eguerilla 457,367 views
- 1:54 Michael Fassbender on Shame and Sex Scenes (Venice International Film Festival)by myETVmedia 54,233 views
- 13:50 Michael Fassbender On Strombo: Full Interviewby TheHour 132,929 views
- 2:24 Michael Fassbender feels "Shame" in Studio Qby Qtv 26,204 views
- 6:37 Michael Fassbender, Steve McQueen & Nicole Beharie - Shame, MK2 Bibliothèque (Paris)by InterStellaFr 20,037 views
- 3:38 Sex with Jewish girl costs Arab man 18 months in Israeli jailby RussiaToday 1,346,510 views
- 8:12 Home for the Holidaysby MomentumFilms 115,207 views
- 3:51 Arab 'rape by deceit' conviction in Israel defendedby AlJazeeraEnglish 28,488 views
- 6:47 Shame Movie Reviewby TheBoysdontcry96 211 views
- 5:15 American Violet - interview with Nicole Beharieby blacktreemedia 20,363 views
- 2:33 World's Greatest Shit, from a HOT girl (PART 2)by lucasmaximus80 1,006,673 views
- 9:49 Shame (2011) Film Reviewby Sean Malin 876 views
- Loading more suggestions...