The Celtics love them some Shavlik Randolph
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 29, 2013
BOSTON -- When security opened the Celtics locker room after Friday's 118-107 win over the Hawks, reporters rushed to Shavlik Randolph's locker, but the PR staff announced he had already left. The Duke product generally makes postgame small talk for a bit with anybody willing to listen, so his absence came as a surprise to some.
For the C's, though, it should be refreshing. On the best night of his NBA career, Randolph ducked the media scrum, dodged questions that would have made his China-to-Boston journey the headline in Saturday's papers and generally just avoided becoming the focus on a night when veteran teammates Paul Pierce (20-10-10 triple-double), Jeff Green (game-high 27 points) and Jason Terry (24 points on 10 shots) all performed better.
In other words, Randolph knows his role. That or he wanted to watch his alma mater's Sweet 16 date with Michigan St. Either way, his new teammates welcomed the opportunity to heap praise upon the journeyman.
"He understands who he is," said Celtics coach Doc Rivers, "and he does it."
So, who is Randolph? He's a guy Sports Illustrated's Seth Davis dubbed the "biggest recruiting bust" of the 2000s. He's a guy who went from being a McDonald's All-American to an undrafted NBA free agent. He's a guy who showed promise as a 76ers rookie in 2005, shattered his ankle during practice (We talking about practice!), and then bounced back and forth on a series of contracts with the Blazers, Heat and Wizards. He's a guy who left for China, where he found himself again, averaging 32.0 points and 14.6 rebounds for the Foshan Long Lions.
Above all, he's a guy who wanted another NBA chance, who earned another chance, so the C's gave it to him.
"Talk about a guy executing his role," said Terry. "That is his role for us — come in, provide energy, rebound, bang, be a presence in the paint — and he did all that tonight. He earned every bit of that money he's been getting."
The Celtics signed Randolph to a 10-day contract on March 1, and while the 29-year-old didn't see the court in his first five games, the C's must've liked what they saw in practice, since they signed him to another 10-day deal on March 11. He made three appearances in green over his next five games, totaling 10 points and 13 boards in 36 minutes, and the Celtics rewarded him with a contract for the rest of this season and an option for 2013-14.
Against Atlanta, a Celtics team in desperate need of rebounding without Kevin Garnett in the lineup cashed in on Randolph, who came one point shy of his first career double-double (9 points, 13 rebounds) in 21 minutes.
"He played great," said Avery Bradley. "I have a lot of respect for him. He plays so hard. It's hard to learn our system so fast, and I feel like he did a great job. ... He was the player of the game to me. Shav was just battling."
For more on the Celtics, visit weei.com/celtics.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:13 NBA 2012-13: Heat at Celtics: What Losing Rajon Rondo Meansby BBALLBREAKDOWN Featured 52,581
- 1:19:51 Chris Wilcox talks Celtics injuries, Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green, the Playoffs & much more - CLNS Radioby CLNSRadio2,133 views
- 1:08:33 Real Estate Training by Glenn Twiddleby Glenn Twiddle542 views
- 3:00 'There's a dislike' between Heat and Celticsby Ben Rohrbach2,825 views
- 6:26 Celtics order up Chinese pu-pu platterby Ben Rohrbach1,390 views
- 1:24 Bayless Calls LeBron softby Maurice Coleman1,266 views
- 1:07:37 Why We're Like This: The American Impulse to Intervene, Stephen Kinzerby The University of Scranton617 views
- 4:26 Shavlik Randolph dances Michael Jackson at CBA fanby comptoncory23,576 views
- 4:09 Paul Pierce Triple-Double 20 pts,10 reb,10 ast vs Atlanta Hawks - Highlights 3/29/2013by OfficialCelticsHD6,558 views
- 4:24 Shavlik Randolph 16 points (career high),7 rebounds vs Cleveland Cavaliers - Highlights 4/5/2013by OfficialCelticsHD5,422 views
- 11:19 Rajon Rondo Amazing Triple-Double 18pts 17rebs 20asts vs Jeremy Lin the Knicks Complete HD Highlightby pennyccwai .726,368 views
- 1:31 Shavlik Randolph on His Time in China and the Celticsby CLNSRadio1,345 views
- 5:29 Stereotypes: Pickup Basketballby Dude Perfect6,186,793 views
- 4:51 Stuff - Boston Celtics Fans Sayby ScooterMagruder113,861 views
- 23:58 Chicago Bulls vs Boston Celtics 86'' Classic - (Michael Jordan vs Larry Bird Duel)by princexmilano1,522,722 views
- 5:12 Exclusive interview with Shavlik Randolph from Boston Celtiby anniexingyan406 views
- 7:35 Paul Pierce & Kevin Garnett: All about consistencyby Ben Rohrbach657 views
- 4:33 Celtics PG Rajon Rondo: 'I love my teammates'by Ben Rohrbach5,325 views
- 1:43:26 USA v Nigeria - Men's Basketball Group A | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics1,448,335 views
- 6:20 Heat vs. Celtics Game 6: LeBron James highlights - 45 points, 15 rebounds (6.8.12)by TheAssociationLiveHD212,088 views
- Loading more suggestions...