What's Your Story? - David Sieveking
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 29, 2011
Berliner David Sieveking started out much like any other recent film graduate; he did not know what he was going to do next but he knew, as a director, he had to find some direction. On a whim, Sieveking flew to Fairfield, Iowa, to meet his idol, legendary cult writer and director David Lynch. Lynch was speaking at a transcendental meditation centre, one of many started by the followers of the teachings of Mahirishi Mahesh Yogi. Mahirishi Mahesh Yogi is famed for his spiritual teachings of transcendental meditation as a form of enlightenment, influencing people worldwide, including the Beatles. Lynch, a staunch believer in transcendental meditation, encourages Sieveking to learn it (at 2500 dollars a lesson) to open his consciousness and find creativity.
While Sieveking's film starts out with him trying to gain enlightenment and career direction from his mentor, he is sent on another journey where, bit by bit, he is exposed to the well-oiled machine that is the global transcendental meditation movement. Sieveking is enthusiastic in his journey, trying to soak up information that so many tell him is the only way to happiness, including hours of meditation, chanting and 'Yogic flying' from which the documentary takes its name. However, the cracks begin to show as Sieveking states: "A great idea turns into a great ideology where if you are not with us, you are against us." The preaching of enlightenment turns into the censorship of individual voice until Sieveking is eventually kicked out of the movement.
Through David Learns to Fly, Sieveking is given what he has hoped for, artistic expression through making a film of his own, even though it is at the expense of alienating his idol David Lynch. The documentary has received worldwide acclaim as a critical look into the financial and psychological disparities within social lifestyle movements such as these. Humourous, at times unbelievable and incredibly insightful, David Learns to Fly shows us that even transcendental meditation cannot guarantee everybody personal enlightenment.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:36:33 David Wants To Fly - Documentaryby Quotated8,895 views
- 15:10 Markus Lanz (vom 23. Januar 2013) - ZDF (2/5)by MarkusLanz201212,348 views
- 15:55 Interview David Sievekingby DOK Spotters Leipzig2,213 views
- 3:17 David Wants to Fly Trailerby beamafilm1,339 views
- 29:35 Skoda KulturCheck - David Sieveking über seinen Film „Vergiss mein nicht"by rheinmaintv479 views
- 1:00:23 Maharishi Gandharva Veda (Raga Shudh Vasanta) - Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasiaby Balraj Jittla53,471 views
- 0:55 Lynne Twist on Fairfield, Iowaby Chris Attwood633 views
- 19:26 Christianity, Transcendental Meditation and Religion explained by Maharishi Mahesh Yogiby Transcendental Meditation68,379 views
- 15:00 Markus Lanz (vom 16. Januar 2013) - ZDF (3/5)by MarkusLanz20124,577 views
- 39:57 An Introduction to the Transcendental Meditation Programby Transcendental Meditation102,394 views
- 15:01 Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - The Seven States Of Consciousness - Part 1 (1967) Vinylby doctordel8,975 views
- 1:00:05 Música zen para relajarse o concentrarse y practicar la meditación trascendental.by RelaxDimension9,931 views
- 5:49 David Lynch in Berlin: Interview Teil 2by tmdeutschland1,693 views
- 6:11 Transcendental Meditation - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi at Lake Louise, Canada, 1968by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi223,828 views
- 5:22 MYSTICA TV: Filmkritik "David Wants to Fly"by MYSTICA Redaktion1,227 views
- 8:24 David Lynch - Transcendental Meditationby fivealex2009122,977 views
- 57:28 Vedic Schools in the Himalaya (full documentary)by Anamay1084,678 views
- 19:04 Transcendental Meditation. The world's best kept secret?: Chris Greathead at TEDxJesmondDeneby TEDxTalks22,099 views
- 7:03 What's Your Story? - Richard Stanleyby onesmallseedtv964 views
- 5:04 What's Your Story? - Michael Auretby onesmallseedtv1,317 views
- Loading more suggestions...