Melting Trends: Arctic Ice Completely Gone by 2020?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 31, 2009
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2009/08/18/A_REALLY_In...
Environmentalist Dan Miller discusses images of arctic ice melting trends at the North Pole. He argues that light once reflected off the surface of the melting ice is now being absorbed by water, priming a feedback loop that will continuously accelerate the melting process.
Dan Miller's presentation focuses on why the UN IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) reports are actually best case scenarios. For example, IPCC climate models do not include the effect of melting permafrost releasing greenhouse gases, even though the permafrost is melting now and it holds more greenhouse gases than all that mankind has ever released.
Another example is that IPCC predictions of sea level rise only take into account thermal expansion of the oceans and melting of glaciers; the largest factor, disintegration of glaciers, was not included because it is hard to model. The result is that sea level rise will likely be substantially higher this century than the IPCC predicts.
Miller discusses several other potential catastrophes that are not included in IPCC predictions and also discusses tipping points that could put climate change solutions out of our reach in years or decades, the psychology of climate change, and why it is difficult for people to respond to the threat posed by a warming earth.
His talk concludes with a discussion of ways to address climate change and the risks and opportunities that companies face due to the climate crisis. - Berkeley Cybersalon
Dan Miller is Managing Director of the Roda Group. He is the former president of Ask Jeeves, Inc., a Roda Group affiliate company. He is currently working with a number of Roda Group affiliated companies to assist them with their business development efforts. Mr. Miller sits on the Board of several Roda Group companies.
At the end of 1994, Mr. Miller retired from his position as Executive Vice President of TCSI Corporation (Nasdaq: TCSI), a company he co-founded with his Roda Group partner, Roger Strauch. Mr. Miller retired from the Board of Directors of TCSI in June of 1997. TCSI is a leading provider of integrated software products and services for the global telecommunications industry.
Prior to TCSI, Mr. Miller was a systems engineer at Hughes Aircraft's Space and Communications Group where he was responsible for designing communications payloads for commercial communications satellites.
Standard YouTube License
- 22:00 Inside the 1996 Everest Disaster - Ken Kamlerby ForaTv1,045,367 views
- 5:44 Fire and Ice: Permafrost Melt Spews Combustible Methaneby ForaTv46,696 views
- 3:40 The Feedback Loop: Ecological Damage Soon Beyond Controlby ForaTv10,537 views
- 4:07 How Does a Warming Arctic Affect Global Climate? - Susan Hassolby ForaTv4,313 views
- 8:34 What Scientists Are Seeing Over Antarcticaby SpaceRip1,333,079 views
- 52:07 K2 : Climbing the World's Toughest Mountain (Full Documentary)by Learn About Everything137,858 views
- 45:08 (HD) Earth Under Water in Next 20 Years - National Geographic Documentaryby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,130,556 views
- 14:29 Civilization Found melting out of ice in Antarctica!?by WhatsUpInTheSky371,663,078 views
- 48:55 Antarctica - The Ice Melts (BBC Documentary)by ScienceTopicsChannel5,631 views
- 52:30 Under the Antarctic Ice - Beauty of The Natureby Civil Digital630,648 views
- 9:00 Greenland Ice Melt At 97 Percent, NASA Satellites Showby jimbonumber971,546 views
- 23 videos Play all Climate Change - Melting Glaciersby heatedhearth
- 7:35 Antarctica's Ice on the Move - Antarctica's Climate Secretsby NETnebraska70,247 views
- 3:19 Earth 100 Million Years From Nowby SpaceRip6,620,847 views
- 7:22 Real Ancient Technology Found in Cuzco Peru 2012 Newby nano63a1,638,915 views
- 2:42 Apophis in 2029 or 2036by Dominique van Limburg Stirum2,013,237 views
- 54:51 Climate Change 2013: Greenland Ice Sheet & Northern Polar Jet Stream - Peter Sinclairby newculture18,424 views
- 2:25 Disappearing Arctic Sea Ice - Melting Polar Ice Cap | Earth Science Footage Videoby Bright Enlightenment16,786 views
- 6:48 Permafrost Methane Time Bomb NBC Newsby GlobalClimateNews7,961 views
- 0:34 Arctic Ice Has Record Melt In June 2012 - Further info pls see introby Sundrumify4,765 views