#OpMegaupload ~ Government's case against file-sharing site overreaching, attorney says
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 20, 2012
Government's case against file-sharing site overreaching, attorney says
By Michael Pearson, CNN
January 20, 2012 -- Updated 1737 GMT (0137 HKT)
(CNN) -- U.S. authorities overreacted in shutting down the online file-sharing site Megaupload and seeking criminal charges against its executives, the company's American lawyer said Friday.
"We believe that the allegations are without merit and Megaupload is going to vigorously defend against the case," attorney Ira Rothken said.
Federal authorities shut the site down Thursday, the same day they announced indictments against seven people connected to the site, accusing them of operating an "international organized criminal enterprise responsible for massive worldwide online piracy of copyrighted works." Four of those charged were arrested Friday in New Zealand at the request of U.S. authorities.
Megaupload assembles worldwide criminal defense
The FBI has begun extradition proceedings in New Zealand to bring Kim Dotcom, aka Kim Schmitz, to the United States to face charges of racketeering, money laundering, and Internet piracy.
DotCom and three associates are in custody and are being held without bail until Monday, when a new hearing is scheduled. Three other alleged accomplices are still at large. During a hearing yesterday, DotCom told the court he didn't object to allowing photographers in the courtroom. He said: "We have nothing to hide."
In an interview with CNET, Ira Rothken, an attorney well known in the tech sector for defending Web sites accused of copyright violations, said that his clients are assembling a team of crack copyright, criminal and technology attorneys to defend them in courts across the globe.
Hackers shut down major US websites
Updated January 20, 2012 18:58:00
Hackers in the United States have reacted angrily to news of the shutdown of the file sharing site Megaupload.
BRENDAN TREMBATH: A major US investigation into movie piracy has led to arrests on the other side of the world and the shutdown of a popular file-sharing site.
The founder of Megaupload.com is one of those arrested. Kim Dotcom, as he calls himself, has faced a court in New Zealand.
Sympathetic hackers have taken their own action. They've shutdown internet sites belonging to the US Department of Justice and the FBI.
Suzanne Hill reports.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:08 Kim Dotcomby That's Mon (মন আলমাজি)686 views
- 5:02 US GOV message to ANONYMOUSby somdofritz2293,340 views
- 2:19 Mr Dotcom Gets Ready For Battleby TVNewZealand3,653 views
- 9:21 Kim Schmitz Interviewby puromedia129,790 views
- 2:41 Mr. Dotcom: Megauploader, Megaracer | Spiegel Onlineby jim berlin12,914 views
- 58:10 Understanding Switchesby Eli the Computer Guy189,906 views
- 27:42 VPN - Virtual Private Networkingby Eli the Computer Guy362,978 views
- 11:01 How to Share Files and Folders With Windows 7by Eric Smith11,522 views
- 44:01 Introduction to File Sharingby Eli the Computer Guy38,375 views
- 57:38 Introduction to Networkingby Eli the Computer Guy320,718 views
- 8:42 Megaupload Seized Before Trialby TheAlyonaShow4,489 views
- 23:17 Kim Dotcom Exclusive Interview 'I will fight this and win'by 3 News437,960 views
- 9:48 Linux + Samba file sharing setupby Sean Buckley6,707 views
- 1:02:39 Network Cablingby Eli the Computer Guy165,186 views
- 3:00 Megaupload Owner 50 years Prison - Kim Dotcom @ Kim Schmitzby Dewa TV24,818 views
- 8:01 Filesharing-Abmahnung erhalten? Richtiges Verhalten nach Erhalt einer Filesharing-Abmahnung! - 14by Marcus Dury16,199 views
- 5:43 Waldorf Frommer | Abmahnung | Unterlassungserklärungby Verbraucherdienst e.V.534 views
- 7:02 Illegale Downloadsby StrafblogTV506 views
- 2:48 ★ ☆ ✰ Celeberties Endorse Megaupload ✰ ☆ ★by ItsNotFunnyBro17,235 views
- 11:01 Fermeture de Megaupload : Réaction & Coup de gueule !by SwaggConnection7,881 views
- Loading more suggestions...