#OpMegaupload ~ Government's case against file-sharing site overreaching, attorney says
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 20, 2012
Government's case against file-sharing site overreaching, attorney says
By Michael Pearson, CNN
January 20, 2012 -- Updated 1737 GMT (0137 HKT)
(CNN) -- U.S. authorities overreacted in shutting down the online file-sharing site Megaupload and seeking criminal charges against its executives, the company's American lawyer said Friday.
"We believe that the allegations are without merit and Megaupload is going to vigorously defend against the case," attorney Ira Rothken said.
Federal authorities shut the site down Thursday, the same day they announced indictments against seven people connected to the site, accusing them of operating an "international organized criminal enterprise responsible for massive worldwide online piracy of copyrighted works." Four of those charged were arrested Friday in New Zealand at the request of U.S. authorities.
Megaupload assembles worldwide criminal defense
The FBI has begun extradition proceedings in New Zealand to bring Kim Dotcom, aka Kim Schmitz, to the United States to face charges of racketeering, money laundering, and Internet piracy.
DotCom and three associates are in custody and are being held without bail until Monday, when a new hearing is scheduled. Three other alleged accomplices are still at large. During a hearing yesterday, DotCom told the court he didn't object to allowing photographers in the courtroom. He said: "We have nothing to hide."
In an interview with CNET, Ira Rothken, an attorney well known in the tech sector for defending Web sites accused of copyright violations, said that his clients are assembling a team of crack copyright, criminal and technology attorneys to defend them in courts across the globe.
Hackers shut down major US websites
Updated January 20, 2012 18:58:00
Hackers in the United States have reacted angrily to news of the shutdown of the file sharing site Megaupload.
BRENDAN TREMBATH: A major US investigation into movie piracy has led to arrests on the other side of the world and the shutdown of a popular file-sharing site.
The founder of Megaupload.com is one of those arrested. Kim Dotcom, as he calls himself, has faced a court in New Zealand.
Sympathetic hackers have taken their own action. They've shutdown internet sites belonging to the US Department of Justice and the FBI.
Suzanne Hill reports.
Standard YouTube License
- 23:17 Kim Dotcom Exclusive Interview 'I will fight this and win'by 3NewsNZ 416,315 views
- 2:47 MegaUpload Kim Dotcom Gets Life Imprisonment.by Mike Hunt 10,489 views
- 3:00 Megaupload Owner 50 years Prison - Kim Dotcom @ Kim Schmitzby Dewa TV 22,944 views
- 2:19 Mr Dotcom Gets Ready For Battleby TVNewZealand 3,222 views
- 5:02 US GOV message to ANONYMOUSby somdofritz2 217,849 views
- 1:43 #OpMegaupload ~ Breaking News (Newzar): Cyber War Breaks Out Over Megaupload.com Shutdownby NeedToAwaken 1,436 views
- 1:55 Anonymous #OpMegaupload - The Internet Strikes Backby Dienameless420 114,356 views
- 9:21 Kim Schmitz Interviewby puromedia1 26,706 views
- 0:50 #OpMegaupload ~ First video: Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom appears in courtby NeedToAwaken 2,800 views
- 8:42 Megaupload Seized Before Trialby TheAlyonaShow 4,354 views
- 8:39 #OpMegaupload ~ Anonymous' Operation Megaupload explainedby NeedToAwaken 754 views
- 2:54 Megaupload founder Kim DotCom finally released in New Zealandby African Movie Reporter 27,960 views
- 2:48 ★ ☆ ✰ Celeberties Endorse Megaupload ✰ ☆ ★by ItsNotFunnyBro 16,974 views
- 2:51 Can walmart control Wikipedia?by HyperMediaNews 1,067 views
- 0:50 First video: Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom appears in courtby RussiaToday 655,880 views
- 9:11 Kim Dotcom (Schmitz) - Founder of Megauploadby IMadeaTutorial 364,928 views
- 2:09 Alarm spreads among file-sharing websitesby AlJazeeraEnglish 1,231 views
- 4:17 Megaupload Song HDby OrebroGamers 14,588 views
- 2:11 Megaupload Megavideo CEO Kim dotcom Schmitz appears in courtby DerReichsmarschall 46,664 views
- 1:51 Anonymous ~A message to the eliteby NeedToAwaken 524 views
- Loading more suggestions...