Kitchen Timer For Panning Timelapse With Tiny Cameras
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 14, 2009
Demostrating the timelapse function of the Ultra Intervalometer Script for CHDK (a "hack" for the firmware of Canon compact digital cameras that use the Digic II or Digic III processor).
The first clip was recorded as a 640X424 video on my Nikon D90 and sped up 5x (I just wanted to make a quick demostration video so saved myself the trouble of making a timelapse out of photos from the D90)
The second clip is the timelapse from the little ELPH, just JPGs from the camera resized down to 640x480 for expediency's sake and put together into a timelapse using free software called JPGvideo, which works great, but requires major processing power to output at larger resolutions...I have te size down before or it just doesn't work...I think you need RAM equal to or greater than the size of video you want to output in order for it to work.
If you did this same tehnique outdoors on a nice day, locked the exposure and ISO, recorded RAW instead of JPG and processed them nicely, it could turn out pretty nicely. And depending which little Canon you're shooting with, you can output at pretty high resolutions if you have a good enough computer.
The camera was panned using a 60-minute kitchen timer with tripod parts glued to it. The quality is (potentially, I know this video is dull) better than the VGA "timelapse video" mode on some of the newer IXUS/ELPH cameras.
Only for demostration purposes, so please, again, forgive the dullness, it's really really cold outside.
The music is a song called Sanyan Sunrise (Could It Be Me) by Dan S., and it's apprently free to use, you can listen to it or download it here: http://ccmixter.org/files/axisone/13710
Thanks to Milapse for the inspiration to get into making timelapse videos, I've ordered the "Milapse" telescope head setup so I'll be making some high quality ones (outdoors I promise) this spring and summer.
Milapse: Thanks again for the cool videos and tips, I wanted to tell you about CHDK and all of this 11 months ago (remember my comment?) but after my comment and your reply I was unable to comment again for a while because I was in China and they decided to block Youtube at that poarticular moment in history (think, what was going on in China around 11-12 months ago that would make them want to block Youtube?).
Anyway, better late than never....CHDK seems like the best way to make timelapses with little compact digital cameras, the intervalometer scripts are even more adjustable than most "built in" intervalometers, of which there are far too few anyway, and as a bonus CHDK lets you record RAW.
This is probably my last time with the tiny cameras and kitchen timers anyway, can't wait to get the "Milapse" setup and do some better quality videos and more fancy pans with my D90.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:17 Timelapse Guide (Compact Digital Cameras - Part 2)by milapse38,744 views
- 1:11:14 اضحك ساعه كامله وبدون ملل مع اجمل كاميرا خفيهby WaEeLTv9,611,180 views
- 4:57 Time Lapse Pan DIY Under $10by jordiniman56,703 views
- 9:58 Two Axis Panning Timelapse Head for DSLR (ready to buy)by milapse188,144 views
- 8:56 Time Lapse Tutorial with a Nikon DSLR (Part 1)by Lilkiwiguy87145,819 views
- 6:05 Timelapse Guide (The Basics - Part 1)by milapse13,652 views
- 5:19 The Longest Way 1.0 - walk through China and grow a beard! - a photo every day timelapseby Christoph Rehage3,820,941 views
- 4:24 360 Degree Panning Time Lapse Tripod - iPhone Egg Timerby hpndvr24,366 views
- 6:17 Panning Timelapse Motor Controller (hacked clock) ver. 2.0by milapse12,566 views
- 2:56 Helsinki - Panning Time Lapseby SatunnainenKulkija5,024 views
- 9:57 Timelapse Guide (Digital SLR - timescapes.org - part 3)by milapse12,701 views
- 18:03 Building Popsicle Mansion Time Lapseby TheMrFinneth1,951,636 views
- 3:02 Nikon D90 Shooting Infoby Elite Video349,465 views
- 9:55 So baut man ein neues Objectiv für canon IXUS 30 40 50 55 60 65 einby Chip-Tip H. & C. GmbH27,319 views
- 9:59 Two Axis Panning Timelapse Head for DSLR (custom made)by milapse27,660 views
- 6:33 DSLR Tips: How to blur water for a dreamy effectby Gordon Laing645,916 views
- 5:47 D.I.Y. Time Lapse Photography. (part 2 of 2)by Kyle Clements751 views
- 4:05 CHDK - Canon Hack Development Kitby GetConnected TV Show44,259 views
- 3:50 Egg Timer Pan Time Lapseby Tinkwalksamok4,657 views
- 4:03 9 months in 1000 pictures stop motion (Pregnancy time lapse!) - Osher, Tomer and Baby Emmaby BachiRules3,812,883 views
- Loading more suggestions...