Uploaded on Nov 20, 2010
Title : AUSTRALIA, JAMES COOK UNIVERSITY: Introductory Video.
Why choose JCU?
Australia's leading tropical research University -
Named after the British explorer Captain James Cook, JCU is Australia's leading tropical research university and Queensland's second oldest university offering excellence in teaching and research.
Our main campuses are based in the coastal northern Queensland cities of Townsville and Cairns with additional campuses in Brisbane and at JCUS in Singapore, offering the same high quality Australian education in a dynamic Asian environment. Over 17,000 students including 5,000 international students from 100+ nationalities currently study with JCU.
Ranking and Awards -
James Cook University has been consistently ranked in the top five tropical universities of the world for research performance in our areas of research excellence: ecology/environment, plant and animal science, geosciences, coral reef science and tourism. Further attest to our quality teaching and research expertise includes:
* JCU is ranked in the top 500 universities in the world in the 2008 Shanghai Jiao Tong University Academic Ranking of World Universities. In the Asia-Pacific region, JCU is ranked in the top 100.
* JCU is ranked in the top 5% of universities worldwide based on 2009 assessment by two of the world's leading university ranking systems - the Shanghai Jiao Tong University and the Higher Education and Accreditation Council.
* Home to Australia's first professor of Tourism, JCU's Tourism programs are recognised by the World Tourism Organisation (WTO). James Cook University is also ranked among the top 12 tourism education institutions in the world and is recognised for its special focus on ecotourism
* JCU received five 5 star graduate ratings in the 2009 Good Universities Guide for:
- Graduates getting a full time job
- Positive graduate outcomes
- Access by equity groups
- Indigenous participation
- Gender balance
* James Cook University is a member of the select group, Innovative Research Universities Australia, one of only three university alliances recognised by the peak body Universities Australia
* Seven JCU academics won national Carrick Award citations for Australian university teaching in 2008, a prestigious award highlighting outstanding contributions to student learning
* As Australia's pre-eminent tropical research university, JCU is ranked first in the world for citations in the field of coral reef ecology (www.esi-topics.com/coralreef), and is in the top three in its fields of research strength in ecology and environment, plant and animal sciences, and geosciences.
Standard YouTube License