Merkel preaches federalism to MEPs, warns Britain against EU exit
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 8, 2012
German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday urged EU leaders to deepen fiscal and economic integration in the EU.
Addressing the European Parliament in her first visit since 2007, Merkel streessed the need for a deal on the EU budget during the next European Summit.
"A renewed economic and monetary union needs common economic policy. We can see it very clearly today, we didn't have and we don't have economic policy coordination which is binding (...). I will be supporting an ambitious plan of action in December for the new EMU. There should be concrete measures for all our partners.(...). We need the necessary interaction so that it can really work in the sense of greater economic cooperation that Jacques Delors talked about.", said German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Responding to MEPs calls for a federal Europe, the German Chancellor said that a shift of powers to Brussels would be her long-term vision for Europe.
"Let's not longer think that with half measures we can solve the problem of the euro (...). Either we make the step to a federal Europe, or we have problems.", said Liberals leader Guy Verhofstadt.
"Of course the European Commission will one day become a government, the EU council a second chamber and the European Parliament will have more powers. But for now, we have to focus on the euro and give people a little bit of time to come along," Merkel said.
Only hours before meeting British Prime Minister David Cameron, the german Chancellor also said she believes the UK should remain in the EU.
"I want a strong UK within the EU. The UK was with us when we were liberated from National Socialism, I cannot imagine the UK not being part of Europe," Merkel said.
Talks on whether Britain should distance itself from the Union are slowly spreading across the country. Cameron has repeatedly threatened to veto any deal on the EU budget if his demands for reducing it are not met.
Standard YouTube License
- 12:48 JIM ROGERS - 2013 to Be Bad, 'God Knows What Will Happen in 2014'by 829speedyFeatured 103,484
- 3:50 David Cameron's press conference after the EU Council Summit - October 2012by EUXTV 1,787 views
- 4:36 Angela Merkel's press conference after the EU Council Summit - October 2012by EUXTV 2,864 views
- 1:40 Merkel and Hollande Arrive at the European Council Summit - October 2012 RAW VIDEOby EUXTV 2,263 views
- 2:59 How influential is the UK in Europe? Who are the most influential Britons in Europe? #UK40by EUXTV 826 views
- 15:26 UK Independence day - Leaving the European Unionby ukipmedia 11,728 views
- 9:29 CNBC UKIP Nigel Farage on Merkel Visiting Greece Amid Protests October 2012by TruthAndFreedom101 191 views
- 8:29 euronews reporter - UK-EU: should I stay or should I go?by Euronews 10,869 views
- 6:56 EDL - Pat Condell - The Islamic Enemy Withinby melanoma321 15,289 views
- 1:55 In 1990 Thatcher warned that the Euro would end European democracyby wakeup2thelies 86,467 views
- 4:56 Britain: Anti-EU Sentiment | European Journalby deutschewelleenglish 4,028 views
- 10:54 Chancellor Merkel Addresses Congress (1) on world issues, Meets with Pres. Obamaby StartLoving2 75,856 views
- 10:28 Guy Verhofstadt on State of the Unionby ALDE ADLE 2,459 views
- 1:57 Guy Verhofstadt: Biggest waste of EU resources is Nigel Farage's salaryby ALDE ADLE 104,017 views
- 1:39 Londres - Hollande se fait encore ridiculiserby armageddon16x16 2,185 views
- 13:18 Nigel Farage on BBC Paxman July 2012by NigelFarageFans 12,119 views
- 4:07 Cameron blows off Merkel's pitch for UK to back bigger EU budgetby oneryrussian 744 views
- 3:11 'Who the Hell You Think You Are?' Nigel Farage throws egg in Eurocrat facesby RussiaToday 1,077,904 views
- 9:50 euronews the network - The UK and the EU: in or out of the Union?by Euronews 5,957 views
- 2:32 German Chancellor visits Russiaby FullWorldNews 456 views
- Loading more suggestions...