Merkel preaches federalism to MEPs, warns Britain against EU exit
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 8, 2012
German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday urged EU leaders to deepen fiscal and economic integration in the EU.
Addressing the European Parliament in her first visit since 2007, Merkel streessed the need for a deal on the EU budget during the next European Summit.
"A renewed economic and monetary union needs common economic policy. We can see it very clearly today, we didn't have and we don't have economic policy coordination which is binding (...). I will be supporting an ambitious plan of action in December for the new EMU. There should be concrete measures for all our partners.(...). We need the necessary interaction so that it can really work in the sense of greater economic cooperation that Jacques Delors talked about.", said German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Responding to MEPs calls for a federal Europe, the German Chancellor said that a shift of powers to Brussels would be her long-term vision for Europe.
"Let's not longer think that with half measures we can solve the problem of the euro (...). Either we make the step to a federal Europe, or we have problems.", said Liberals leader Guy Verhofstadt.
"Of course the European Commission will one day become a government, the EU council a second chamber and the European Parliament will have more powers. But for now, we have to focus on the euro and give people a little bit of time to come along," Merkel said.
Only hours before meeting British Prime Minister David Cameron, the german Chancellor also said she believes the UK should remain in the EU.
"I want a strong UK within the EU. The UK was with us when we were liberated from National Socialism, I cannot imagine the UK not being part of Europe," Merkel said.
Talks on whether Britain should distance itself from the Union are slowly spreading across the country. Cameron has repeatedly threatened to veto any deal on the EU budget if his demands for reducing it are not met.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:50 David Cameron's press conference after the EU Council Summit - October 2012by EurActiv2,067 views
- 4:36 Angela Merkel's press conference after the EU Council Summit - October 2012by EurActiv3,187 views
- 1:40 Merkel and Hollande Arrive at the European Council Summit - October 2012 RAW VIDEOby EurActiv2,607 views
- 2:01 EU leaders welcome Obama's re-electionby EurActiv1,777 views
- 24:08 BBC HARDtalk - Guy Verhofstadt & Richard Ashworth - Members of the European Parliament (26/9/12)by BBC HardTALK2,491 views
- 4:16 United States of Europe? #N3by NextNewsNetwork3,387 views
- 57:57 The making of Angela Merkel(unusual politician) a German enigma with Andrew Marr BBC documentaryby solti hood17,731 views
- 13:18 Nigel Farage on BBC Paxman July 2012by NigelFarageFans12,486 views
- 5:02 Nigel Farage speaks to Angela Merkel - 7th November 2012by MightyDemocracy7,169 views
- 23:54 UK membership in the EU-A Simple Question-12-05-2011by PressTVGlobalNews2,034 views
- 15:26 UK Independence day - Leaving the European Unionby ukipmedia16,135 views
- 9:29 CNBC UKIP Nigel Farage on Merkel Visiting Greece Amid Protests October 2012by TruthAndFreedom101393 views
- 55:08 The Making of Merkel with Andrew Marr BBC documentary 2013 about Angel Merkel imp politicianby solti hood35,473 views
- 8:29 euronews reporter - UK-EU: should I stay or should I go?by euronews (in English)14,625 views
- 1:24:34 Roma - Presidenza italiana Unione europea, audizione Bagnai (04.12.13)by Pupia - News e Politica2,175 views
- 9:50 euronews the network - The UK and the EU: in or out of the Union?by euronews (in English)7,809 views
- 15:01 Gregor Gysi macht die Merkel zur Schnecke.(1/2)by Markus Heidegger408,508 views
- 4:56 Britain: Anti-EU Sentiment | European Journalby DW (English)5,258 views
- 10:28 Guy Verhofstadt on State of the Unionby ALDE ADLE2,951 views
- 12:48 JIM ROGERS - 2013 to Be Bad, 'God Knows What Will Happen in 2014'by 829speedy158,963 views
- Loading more suggestions...