Brazil Launches New Tough Campaign Against Crack Epidemic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 13, 2012
Brazilian health and justice authorities gathered in Rio de Janeiro Friday (April 13) to launch a program to fight the country's growing crack cocaine epidemic.
The initiative is part of a larger $2.3-billion dollar plan launched by the government of President Dilma Rousseff which began in November to combat drug trafficking and consumption by 2014.
Brazil's Minister of Justice, Jose Eduardo Cardozo, said it is important to continue the fight against drug trafficking.
"Our challenge consists on seriously tackling the drug problem. With one side of the programme fighting the traffic as it should be fought and vigourously putting drug dealers in jail in the midst of fighting their offences. On another front, giving addicts the necessary health treatment to help them with social reintegration," said Brazilian Minister of Justice, Jose Eduardo Cardozo at an event highlighting the efforts being made in Rio de Janeiro.
Sao Paulo, another city included in the program, has police and specially trained social workers carrying out daily inspections in the streets of "cracolandia," a place where hundreds of crack cocaine addicts used to walk freely with their pipes in hand.
The Brazilian Minister of Health, Alexandre Padilha, said authorities expect to expand the treatment locations by 2014.
"It is possible to beat crack cocaine. We estimate that, by 2014, we will have in Brazil some 14 thousand beds for different kinds of treatments. In partnership with non-Governmental entities and in psycho-social centres, we have beds in clinics and some in hospitals and specialized shelters."
Officials said that $365 million U.S. dollars of the anti-crack package would be invested solely in the treating patients.
Most of the world's cocaine still comes out of the Andean countries of Colombia, Peru and Bolivia, even after billions of dollars have been spent eradicating crops.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:30 The U.N Condemns North Korea's Satellite Launch Attemptby IBTimesTV 130 views
- 1:03 Man Found Squatting in Diddy's Hampton Mansionby IBTimesTV 82 views
- 1:01 Police Man Clings to Moving Bus Driven By a Convicted Criminalby IBTimesTV 852 views
- 1:33 2012 Ford Focus Reviewby IBTimesTV 115 views
- 5:21 Brazilian crack cocaine epidemicby Channel4News 1,686 views
- 7:20 The Dark Side of Rio - Brazil 2010by Journeyman Pictures 61,750 views
- 10:34 How the CIA Helped Create the Crack Epidemicby MALCOLM X 146,477 views
- 8:45 CIA Crack Conspiracyby muddyjenkins 26,853 views
- 2:47 Addiction to crack cocaine a growing problem in Brazilby AussieNews1's channel 8,393 views
- 5:26 Team Coverage: Record-Breaking Colorado Drug Bustby 7NewsDenver 1,966 views
- 26:32 Connections between Freeway Ricky Ross, the Bush Administration, and the crack cocaine epidemicby noitv 88,024 views
- 2:18 Sao Paolo steps up fight against crack cocaineby AFP 4,095 views
- 5:05 Crack Epidemicby cbradley0116 10,374 views
- 40:50 J is for Junkie [Full Length Documentary]by Corey Davis 479,267 views
- 1:16 Newly Built German Cruise Ship Heads Through Narrow Canal into Open Seaby IBTimesTV 301 views
- 2:01:49 American Drug War: The Last White Hope: Pre Release Cutby TheStraight911Truth 433,584 views
- 7:47 The CIA and Crack Cocaineby nyakuti5 253,446 views
- 5:03 Too Short Talks about Pimps and Hoes Before The Crack Eraby TEKHOUSETV's channel 4,483 views
- 54:09 The CIA, Drug Trafficking and American Politics: The Political Economy of Warby The Film Archive 136,147 views
- 2:13 Deadly effect of Brazil's new drugby AlJazeeraEnglish 32,281 views
- Loading more suggestions...