Brazil Launches New Tough Campaign Against Crack Epidemic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 13, 2012
Brazilian health and justice authorities gathered in Rio de Janeiro Friday (April 13) to launch a program to fight the country's growing crack cocaine epidemic.
The initiative is part of a larger $2.3-billion dollar plan launched by the government of President Dilma Rousseff which began in November to combat drug trafficking and consumption by 2014.
Brazil's Minister of Justice, Jose Eduardo Cardozo, said it is important to continue the fight against drug trafficking.
"Our challenge consists on seriously tackling the drug problem. With one side of the programme fighting the traffic as it should be fought and vigourously putting drug dealers in jail in the midst of fighting their offences. On another front, giving addicts the necessary health treatment to help them with social reintegration," said Brazilian Minister of Justice, Jose Eduardo Cardozo at an event highlighting the efforts being made in Rio de Janeiro.
Sao Paulo, another city included in the program, has police and specially trained social workers carrying out daily inspections in the streets of "cracolandia," a place where hundreds of crack cocaine addicts used to walk freely with their pipes in hand.
The Brazilian Minister of Health, Alexandre Padilha, said authorities expect to expand the treatment locations by 2014.
"It is possible to beat crack cocaine. We estimate that, by 2014, we will have in Brazil some 14 thousand beds for different kinds of treatments. In partnership with non-Governmental entities and in psycho-social centres, we have beds in clinics and some in hospitals and specialized shelters."
Officials said that $365 million U.S. dollars of the anti-crack package would be invested solely in the treating patients.
Most of the world's cocaine still comes out of the Andean countries of Colombia, Peru and Bolivia, even after billions of dollars have been spent eradicating crops.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:30 The U.N Condemns North Korea's Satellite Launch Attemptby IBTimesTV160 views
- 1:01 Police Man Clings to Moving Bus Driven By a Convicted Criminalby IBTimesTV960 views
- 1:03 Man Found Squatting in Diddy's Hampton Mansionby IBTimesTV159 views
- 1:16 Newly Built German Cruise Ship Heads Through Narrow Canal into Open Seaby IBTimesTV506 views
- 9:08 Big BangTheory Season 6 Bloopers HDby UsaVine / Fail Channel42,401 views
- 5:21 Brazilian crack cocaine epidemicby Channel 4 News7,045 views
- 43:16 Ministro da Justiça, José Eduardo Cardozo, presta esclarecimentos sobre Operação Porto Seguroby ParlaTubeBrasil360 views
- 14:49 Thomas Sowell - Affirmative Actionby LibertyPen23,783 views
- 8:11 Alex Jones Show - FBI Rant!by wannaberichlikeme476 views
- 7:20 The Dark Side of Rio - Brazil 2010by Journeyman Pictures82,466 views
- 2:01:49 American Drug War: The Last White Hope: Pre Release Cutby TheStraight911Truth501,296 views
- 14:43 Legend Thomas Sowell On The Occupy Cry Babiesby J. Barnes101,238 views
- 2:13 Deadly effect of Brazil's new drugby Al Jazeera English35,174 views
- 38:27 Thomas Sowell discusses his newest book, Intellectuals and Raceby HooverInstitution44,713 views
- 2:47 Addiction to crack cocaine a growing problem in Brazilby AussieNews112,492 views
- 52:50 Uncommon Knowledge: Thomas Sowell on the Vulgar Pride of Intellectualsby PJ Media75,046 views
- 8:03 Medicare Fraud (Part 1 of 2) - How Criminals Are Getting Rich Defrauding Medicare....by Slumdog9114,929 views
- 4:46 Thomas Sowell Dismantles Feminism and Racialism in under 5 Minutesby Reading The Score253,929 views
- 36:42 Thomas Sowell -- Dismantling Americaby HooverInstitution89,649 views
- 3:18 Brazil police invade biggest slumby Al Jazeera English15,951 views
- Loading more suggestions...