Motorcycle Hits Deer @ 85 mph | Helmet Cam
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 5, 2009
ANALYSIS & Damage Assessment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQRv1H...
I hit a buck (had 2+ in. antlers) on my 04 GSXR 1000 on June 28, 2009.
I did not crash, but the bike was totaled. It literally jumped right in front of me and I had no time to react! In the analysis (link above), you can see the deer was only on cam for 6 frames which is 6/30 or 1/5 of a sec! Therefore, speed had nothing to do with impact.
Factors to consider (in debatable order of importance):
1. Speed: a) at limit only .5 sec to react b) going faster *I* would have evaded
2. Momentum: a) accelerating out of the corner b) not enough time to let off
3. Angle: Bike was almost all the way leaned over
4. Deer mid-air: a) less resistance b) not high enough to knock me off
5. Deer impact location: Only hit neck, not body
6. Deer angle: Jumped from -right- side while I was leaning -right- into it
7. Deer weight: a) approx. 100 lbs (45 kg) b) not a fully grown buck yet
8. Ride position: Usually hang off bike, but was taking it easy
9. Frame sliders: Protected leg from tearing off
10. Exhaust: OEM (not shorty) prevented carcass from hitting rear wheel
11. Post impact: No car in oncoming lane
12. Wobbles: Violent steering caused front wheel to lift off ground
13. Bars: a) throttle hand came off b) if left hand came off... whiiiskey throttle!
14. Corner: Caught bars and dropped front just in time to turn, avoiding woods
15. Full gear: Deer brushed knee- no injury
16. Camera angle: a) cam tilted too low b) if normal, impact wouldn't be visible
17. Rider behind: a) avoided spinning deer in approx 1 second b) didn't swerve
18. # of riders: 10 approx 1-10 secs ahead and 5 approx 1-10 secs behind
19. Following distance: Deer jumped in between 2 riders
20. Time unpredictable: a) time the deer jumped b) time i was there that day
I rode the bike for another 45 mins until I had to shut it off to prevent engine damage because the radiator was busted. I survived without a scratch. The deer was still in mid air as it's neck/shoulder was sliced by my right fork and brake rotor. Then it busted my frame slider all the way back, brushed my knee (leaving fur in the velcro), and flung off the exhaust, when it made like a top and spun to the other side of the road, leaving a blood trail over 50 ft. The 2 lines of blood keep intersecting, which show how much the deer spun.
Lastly, I want to mention that my right is a wide open field. There's 1/4 mile before woods. Deer heard us coming at least 10-20 secs before the first rider passed. If it did not hear us coming from miles away, then it had to have seen the other bikes go by. It tried to go between us... This stray deer ignored all instincts! Freak accident and nothing else! If you think slower speed would have avoided impact, then watch the analysis. If I was going faster, I would have avoided it entirely and the guy behind me could have hit it too.
Am I lucky I didn't die or am I unlucky this shit happened? Many things in life cannot be controlled. It's best to keep calm and carry on!
Standard YouTube License
- 2:12 Motorcycle Crash Compilation 2012 HD - Stunt Bike Crashes Motorbike Accidents - Blox Starz TVby Blox Starz Lifestyle TV (((Subscribe)))Featured 1,434,699
- 4:14 Evanescence - Bring Me To Lifeby EvanescenceVEVO 64,291,879 views
- 2:27 The Monster mud truck tips over while crushing an old Blazer at Eagle Mountain 2011by Joe Metzler 555,808 views
- 7:38 Twin Cam 88 Upgradeby candlstudios 103,718 views
- 7:48 The scariest video you have ever watched in the name of scienceby Shukhrat Bek 11,893,795 views
- 7:59 Deer Hunting ( live footage of kill )by SKIPOLERULES 328,007 views
- 0:41 Suzuki gs500f accelerationby alexhigdon88 3,382 views
- 1:01 Bike Blow Up and DYNO Testing Reynolds Motorsports Open Houseby Dexter Niles 65,250 views
- 4:53 Ya Da Turdy Point Buck Songby minnesotagrl1 97,737 views
- 0:07 gs550 suzuki cafe racer first rideby t y 25,458 views
- 1:05 Stupid Blonde in TV, She is Very Stupid, She Don'tby Chero lion 4,639,611 views
- 0:24 Elephant vs Crocby LozV100 3,418,516 views
- 10:55 How to prevent motorcycle theftby mrmaxstorey 59,748 views
- 0:19 Underwater Cameras Are Awesomeby Fang2K 6,953,089 views
- 7:17 Rifle Season Deer Hunting 2010 Pennsylvania #3by Leatherwoodoutdoors 149,184 views
- 1:33 Is this Britain's best bus driver ? How to get up Saltburn Bank!by simjem 4,713,432 views
- 1:17 Car hits deerby scrawnysumo 406,924 views
- 0:42 Why cops don't like baggy clothesby onetym282 827,721 views
- 58 videos Play all Motorcycle Reviewsby motorcycle
- Official Hot Wheels Channel 278 videos54K
- 3:00 Little Yellow Blanket by Dean Brodyby Brendan G 345,720 views
- 2:22 Motorcycle Chain Maintenanceby viewdo600rr 218,419 views
- Loading more suggestions...