Small Business Owner Fears Obamacare's Impact on Jobs and Economy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 22, 2011
In 2006, when Indiana small-business owner Scott Womack purchased a development agreement to expand his IHOP franchise into Ohio, he had no idea Congress would pass a massive overhaul of the health care system four years later.
Today, one year after that legislative overhaul became law, Womack is very aware of Obamacare -- and of its effects on his plans for growth.
Under the year-old law, Womack must provide health insurance to all full-time employees beginning in 2014. Right now, he employs nearly 1,000 full- and part-time workers and already offers insurance to his management staff. He simply does not know how he'll generate the revenue to do more.
Womack estimates the cost of the law to his company will be 50 percent greater than his company's earnings -- in other words, beyond his ability to pay.
That's not because his company of 12 IHOP restaurants in Indiana and Ohio is unprofitable. Quite the opposite, in fact. By industry standards, he's doing well. But labor-intensive restaurants generate profits of just 5 percent to 7 percent per employee.
With fears about how he'll afford to provide health insurance with those low profit margins, Womack is worried about his expansion plans in Ohio. He can't exactly cancel his development agreement. But he'll only be able to fund his new restaurants -- and the construction, real estate and manufacturing jobs that would go along with them -- if Obamacare is repealed.
"If the health care reform law is not repealed or if the employer mandate doesn't go away, we're going to have to take drastic action," Womack explains.
From his perspective, the law represents Congress' fundamental misunderstanding of important differences among industries. He's frustrated that so few lawmakers sought input from people like him -- but he's doing what he can to speak up now to offer a glimpse into the law's effects on small-business owners.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:01 Obama's Health Plan In 4 Minutesby The UpTakeFeatured 140,657
- 3:37 Obamacare's Impact on Doctorsby HeritageFoundation 72,670 views
- 3:16 Obamacare's Impact on Familiesby HeritageFoundation 9,444 views
- 4:02 Why Obamacare is Wrong for Americaby HeritageFoundation 3,918 views
- 4:26 Exclusive Video: Gov. Mitch Daniels on Obamacare's Devastating Consequencesby HeritageFoundation 22,380 views
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 22,122 videos87
- 5:03 Dr. Fred Shessel: Obamacare Threatens Patients and Doctorsby Docs4PatientCare 33,574 views
- 4:07 Top 10 Mistakes New Business Owners Makeby ronilynndeutch 105,736 views
- 2:56 FOX NEWS: The ObamaCare Effect On Jobsby LibertyPen 3,176 views
- 9:21 ObamaCare 101: What the Healthcare Law Means to You Part 1 of 3by The John Birch Society 45,968 views
- 7:34 Healthcare Explainedby malekanoms 82,921 views
- 2:19 Small Business Owner on Obamacare: Every Restaurant You Eat At Is Impacted Negativelyby jim hoft 8,489 views
- 14:29 Dr. Jill Vecchio--PPACA Pt 5 Doctors and Patientsby DrJillVecchio 8,741 views
- 10:46 Small Business Loans: The Dirty Little Secret and ...by 504LoanExperts 24,342 views
- 4:30 Why Obamacare Was Ruled Unconstitutionalby Battlefield315 95,343 views
- 6:53 So You Like Obamacare...by Melissa Melton 1,843 views
- 11:39 How to start a Small Business with no Money and Bad Credit?by judy jackson 142,075 views
- 17:47 10 Ways to Finance and Start a Businessby Brian Tracy 61,906 views
- 4:22 Scott Rasmussen on the Unpopularity of Obamacareby HeritageFoundation 2,514 views
- 3:27 Starbucks CEO: Health Care Law to Hurt Small Businessby FoxNewsInsider 3,665 views
- 9:05 Health Reform Explained Video: "Health Reform Hits Main Street"by KFFhealthreform 655,884 views
- Loading more suggestions...