Small Business Owner Fears Obamacare's Impact on Jobs and Economy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 22, 2011
In 2006, when Indiana small-business owner Scott Womack purchased a development agreement to expand his IHOP franchise into Ohio, he had no idea Congress would pass a massive overhaul of the health care system four years later.
Today, one year after that legislative overhaul became law, Womack is very aware of Obamacare -- and of its effects on his plans for growth.
Under the year-old law, Womack must provide health insurance to all full-time employees beginning in 2014. Right now, he employs nearly 1,000 full- and part-time workers and already offers insurance to his management staff. He simply does not know how he'll generate the revenue to do more.
Womack estimates the cost of the law to his company will be 50 percent greater than his company's earnings -- in other words, beyond his ability to pay.
That's not because his company of 12 IHOP restaurants in Indiana and Ohio is unprofitable. Quite the opposite, in fact. By industry standards, he's doing well. But labor-intensive restaurants generate profits of just 5 percent to 7 percent per employee.
With fears about how he'll afford to provide health insurance with those low profit margins, Womack is worried about his expansion plans in Ohio. He can't exactly cancel his development agreement. But he'll only be able to fund his new restaurants -- and the construction, real estate and manufacturing jobs that would go along with them -- if Obamacare is repealed.
"If the health care reform law is not repealed or if the employer mandate doesn't go away, we're going to have to take drastic action," Womack explains.
From his perspective, the law represents Congress' fundamental misunderstanding of important differences among industries. He's frustrated that so few lawmakers sought input from people like him -- but he's doing what he can to speak up now to offer a glimpse into the law's effects on small-business owners.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:25 Obama: Small Business 'Heart' of Economyby AssociatedPress Featured 3,328
- 3:37 Obamacare's Impact on Doctorsby The Heritage Foundation79,975 views
- 5:47 Indy 500 Winner Bobby Unser vs. the U.S. Governmentby The Heritage Foundation34,342 views
- 3:16 Obamacare's Impact on Familiesby The Heritage Foundation10,465 views
- 2:22 Government Union Collective Bargaining 101by The Heritage Foundation74,267 views
- 10:43 Dennis Miller-special Nancy Pelosiby analogueproductions107,871 views
- 8:52 Pelosi embarrassed?by FinancialTraffic22,371 views
- 9:52 WATCH Judge Jeanine Nuke Nancy Pelosi's "Brilliant" Obamaby 68Truthseeker47,091 views
- 4:38 Report: Doctors quit on Obamacareby alaphiah12327,268 views
- 56:42 The Doctor's Story: How Obamacare is hurting the patient-physician relationshipby Association of American Physicians and Surgeons12,842 views
- 6:31 Pelosi taken apart by David Gregory on false Obamacare promisesby Washington Free Beacon325,330 views
- 47:54 HERITAGE FOUNDATION: "How Modern Liberals Think"by Politicstv671,258 views
- 4:54 A Doctor Sings The "Obama Care Blues" Health Care Reform Music Videoby Wayne Liebhard15,907 views
- 3:10 Secret Formula For Business Successby salesdogs121,631 views
- 9:21 ObamaCare 101: What the Healthcare Law Means to You Part 1 of 3by TheJohnBirchSociety52,033 views
- 2:20 Obama Refuses to Rule Out Jail Time for People Who Don't Buy Health Insurance.by LamePseudonym131,222 views
- 1:00:28 Reasons Why Small Business Fails - Cardone Zoneby Grant Cardone
- 5:23 Obamacare Explained Part 1by bartlettcom30,736 views
- 4:01 Obama's Health Plan In 4 Minutesby UpTakeVideo167,526 views
- 2:40 Highlights from The Blithering Idiot.by cablenewsguy18,798 views
- Loading more suggestions...