First Nations - Alive & Well - Manitoulin Island, Ontario
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 31, 2011
Alan Corbiere, an Ojibwe himself, and executive director of the Ojibwe Cultural Foundation welcomed us, and all his fellow human beings, to come and enjoy 'Spirit Island' or Manitoulin Island as it more famously known. From June to the beginning of October all 7 of the First Nations tribes on the island are very alive and active in presenting their rich culture to all the visitors from around the world that come to the island to enjoy it's beauty and culture. Everyone can experience the rich and very wonderful First Nations culture.
Every weekend there is a pow wow or cultural experience of some sort to take part in. There are also many interpretive centers, museums and craft shops all linked into the Great Circle Trail that dissects Manitoulin Island. The trail itself is worth the trip but if you have never been to a pow wow than it is an exhilarating cultural event, that you must experience firsthand. Music, dance, singing, native costumes they all blend together to make a riveting and unforgettable experience.
A pow wow is a celebration of color, noise and energy that has been a part of the First Nations culture for centuries. Giving thanks and praying to the Gods for all the bounty given to them from Mother Earth and praying for a prosperous upcoming season is part of the First Nations culture and it is done through the pow wow. It's a powerful experience based on centuries of ritual and practice.
Manitoulin Island is rated the second best place in the world for sailing after the Greek Islands. It's bays, inlets, calm waters and beautiful scenery make it a sailors dream. But getting off the water and stepping foot on land to experience the First Nations culture is equally rewarding. Manitoulin Island is a magnificent part of Canada and the world, and is worth visit by land or by sea. You on your own or take your family but get to Manitoulin. It's worth the trip.
They don't call it the Great Spirit Island for nothing!
Visit our site: http://www.greatcanadianadventuretour...
Join us on Facebook and Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 59:34 Our Home on Native Land - Wikwemikongby cpacFeatured 9,442
- 12:22 MANITOULIN ISLAND WINDFARM PROTEST~MARCH 31.2012by GMOFREEZONE 1,023 views
- 3:33 Wikwemikong. Pow Wow 2010. Part 3by MrFastdeer 3,100 views
- 5:54 FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) ♥ Heartbreaking ♥by eursweet7 215,248 views
- 1:28 Great Spirit Circle Trail - Manitoulin Island - Sagamok Regionby GSCT2009 397 views
- 9:18 Canning Salmon_0003.wmvby chigeeng 8,821 views
- 19:54 Kathleen Wynne: Aboriginal Education in Ontarioby AgendaStevePaikin 714 views
- 21:00 Northern College's Timmins Ontario 2010 Pow Wowby Kenny Harrison 765 views
- 7:24 The First People (Part 1: The Begining)by letkiewiczj 112,933 views
- 2:30 World Class Sailing -- Manitoulin Island, Ontarioby 2011gcat 927 views
- 9:49 MANITOULIN ISLAND LIFE - 10 Minute YOUTUBE VERSIONby Patrick Kiley 20,027 views
- 1:45 Indian Removal Act of 1830by Durbin373 23,448 views
- 4:35 The Canadian Shieldby Hussar566 3,082 views
- 1:24 Manitoulin Raccoon, George Take Twoby Andrea Smith 1,090 views
- 9:01 Squamish Nation Pow Wow 2011 FULL REGALIA First Nations Native Dance in Vancouverby Ray Van Eng 5,089 views
- 15:21 A First Nation Elder was verbally abused by Portage Place Mall security,by douglasrthomas 3,864 views
- 11:38 First Nations millionaires clubby sunnewsvideo 129,514 views
- 6:49 Manitoulin Pro Challenge 2012by Aaron Tuerk 2,448 views
- 9:54 Journey to the North Channel, Lake Huronby Kevin Walters 686 views
- 7:27 "Wisdom of Ages" First Nations Stories performed by Coast Tsimshian storyteller Shannon Thunderbirdby Gustavo Thomas 1,973 views
- Loading more suggestions...