Obamacare vs. Samaritan Health-Care Ministry: A Case Study
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 1, 2013
When Jason Morris' son Cole was two years old, he broke his thighbone and spent several weeks in a full-body cast. The medical bills came to about $13,000, but Morris, his wife, and six children don't have health insurance. Instead they belong to Samaritan Ministries, an organization of devout Christians who chip in to cover each other's medical bills. Following the usual process at Samaritan, members from all over the country mailed the Morris family small checks that added up to enough money to cover all the bills. "We had the emotional side of it," says Morris, "but the financial side of it was completely taken care of."
Samaritan has about 86,000 members spread among all 50 states, which makes it the largest of three "health care sharing ministries" in the U.S. Households of three or more are required to send $370 each month to another family to help cover the bills from a medical crisis. Headquartered in Peoria, Illinois, where 94 staffers coordinate the bill-sharing process, the organization is based on the belief that patients are ultimately responsible for their own medical bills. But in times of crisis, the community bands together to pitch in and help bear the burden. "Faith in God applied to health care," is one of the organization's mottos."We had the emotional side of it, but the financial side was completely taken care of."
Samaritan may soon become a casualty of new incentives created by Obamacare, which does virtually nothing to do reduce third-party payments in delivering health care. When their bills are mostly covered by insurance companies or the government—which may also be heavily subsidizing their premiums as well—patients aren't discerning shoppers.
For full text and links: http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/10/01...
Written, shot, edited, and narrated by Jim Epstein
Go to http:reason.com/reasontv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason TV's YouTube Channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 44:13 Drugs, Inc.: San Francisco Meth Zombies (Full Episode)by National Geographic Featured 864,023
- 42:45 Obamacare was Written to Bankrupt Americaby TheAlexJonesChannel24,274 views
- 6:31 Pelosi taken apart by David Gregory on false Obamacare promisesby Washington Free Beacon374,451 views
- 1:00:12 George Will's Libertarian Evolution: Q&A on Obama, Syria, & the Power of Choiceby ReasonTV38,917 views
- 13:10 The Story of Your Enslavementby Stefan Molyneux2,242,794 views
- 11:55 John Stossel - The ObamaCare Regulation Overloadby LibertyPen19,177 views
- 6:42 Oklahoma Doctors vs. Obamacareby ReasonTV185,564 views
- 35:16 The Truth About Obamacareby Stefan Molyneux67,814 views
- 29 videos Play all U.S. - Healthcareby joneslanglasalle
- 1:25 Most Ridiculous Ticket Everby Mike Koziel44,621 views
- 1:30:44 Obamacare is The End Game for Americaby TheAlexJonesChannel63,260 views
- 6:34 Re: Why Are American Health Care Costs So High?by HowTheWorldWorks12,630 views
- 11:11 Understanding the Financial Crisis - very good explanation!by Mostafa Mourad988,090 views
- 10:38 HEATED: CNN Wolf Blitzer Goes After Michele Bachmann Over ObamaCareby YouHotNews262,932 views
- 57:40 The Cost of U.S. Healthcareby Council on Foreign Relations1,444 views
- 2:52 Photographer asked to hand over camera to military policeby G20 Detainee169,894 views
- 4:18 cresencio ramirez mis hermanos niños triquis campeones en argentina 2013 15 de octubre 011by Yilio Ramirez26,425 views
- 2:25 NIGNFY Extended: Max Keiser on NSA spying (04Nov13)by liarpoliticians3,578 views
- 51:44 Jim Rohn - Get Serious - Alive or Dead ?by Jim Rohn unofficial Channel68,486 views
- 8:42 How Government Solved the Health Care Crisis!by Stefan Molyneux18,182 views