This video is unavailable.
US School Shooting: Gunman Kills 27
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 15, 2012
US In Shock Over School Massacre
Vigils are held in Newtown, Connecticut, as the small US town grieves for 20 children and seven adults murdered by a lone gunman.
The United States is in shock after a man murdered his mother at home before gunning down 20 children and six adults in a Connecticut school.
The heavily armed gunman, named as 20-year-old Adam Lanza, shot the children - aged between five and 10 years old - at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where his mother had worked as teacher.
Dawn Hochsprung, the head teacher at the school in Newtown, was among those killed in the shooting, which began at around 9:30am - just after school day started.
After storming through several classrooms, Lanza, who was wearing a bullet-proof vest and carrying two handguns, turned one of the guns he was carrying on himself.
An emotional US President Barack Obama wiped tears from his eyes as he told a stunned country: "Our hearts are broken today."
A boy weeps as he is told what happened A young boy weeps after learning of the elementary school massacre
Mr Obama hinted at possible gun law reform, declaring that the latest atrocity signals that the country should come together to take meaningful action, "regardless of the politics".
Of the children killed, Mr Obama said: "They had their entire lives ahead of them - birthdays, graduations, wedding, kids of their own."
Children told their parents they had heard bangs and, at one point, a scream over the intercom. Teachers ordered them to hide in closets or corners.
"I was going back to my classroom and I heard like a person kicking on the door and I turned around I smelled smoke," an eight-year-old boy told NBC.
Obama President Obama hinted at gun law reform in an emotional address
Reports said Lanza killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, and then drove to the school in her car.
At least three guns were found - a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both pistols, inside the school, and a high-powered rifle in the back of the car, authorities said.
A law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity said some of the guns used in the attack may have belonged to Lanza's mother, who had legally purchased five weapons.
The attack, just two weeks before Christmas, was America's second-deadliest school shooting, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech university massacre in 2007 that left 32 dead.
Authorities offered little clue as to the motive for the shootings in the picturesque small town northeast of New York City.
The gunman was believed to suffer from a personality disorder and lived with his mother in an affluent part of Newtown.
A map showing the location of Newtown The shooting happened at a school in the town, 60 miles from New York
State police Lt Paul Vance said just one person suffered an injury and survived, indicating that the gunman was unusually accurate or methodical in his fire.
Lanza's older brother Ryan, 24, of Hoboken, New Jersey, has been questioned by police but a law enforcement official said he was not believed to have had any role in the shooting and was "extremely cooperative".
Ryan Lanza told law enforcement he had not been in touch with his brother since about 2010.
Hours after the shooting, hundreds of people gathered for a vigil, the crowd filling the church to capacity and spilling outside its doors.
A young boy is comforted outside Sandy Hook Elementary School after a shooting in Newtown Frantic parents rushed to the school to find out if their children were OK
Some lit candles while others joined hands to sing Christmas songs.
"Evil visited this community today," State Governor Dan Malloy said earlier.
David Connors, whose triplets were at the school during the shooting but were unharmed, said he was still horrified.
"It's hard. I've never imagined a thing like that could happen here."
Police said they expected to be able to make public the identities of the victims later on Saturday.
Prime Minister David Cameron said: "It is heartbreaking to think of those who have had their children robbed from them."
The Queen sent a message to Mr Obama in which she said she was "deeply shocked and saddened".
President Obama Addresses The Nation On The Connecticut School Shooting US flags were flown at half mast over the Capitol and White House
UN chief Ban Ki-moon wrote to Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy to give his "deepest condolences at the shocking murders," a statement said.
"The targeting of children is heinous and unthinkable," he added in condemning the "horrendous" crime.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:48 Anderson Cooper Response: Sandy Hook Conspiracyby christogarcia 304,755 views
- 9:56 History Day 2011 Documentary - Columbine High School Massacreby MissingInventory 460,342 views
- 46:53 Zero Hour | The Massacre at Columbine High | 2004 | Full Documentaryby FULLEHQ 614,789 views
- 3:12 Connecticut Massacre: 20 kids killed in school shooting in US, gunman deadby RussiaToday 494,865 views
- 6:22 Top 10 Infamous Mass Shootings in the U.S.by WatchMojo 464,407 views
- 4:58 Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting: Remembering the Victims That Died in Newtown, Connecticutby ABCNews 263,959 views
- 4:22 Connecticut Shooting Tragedy: The Victimsby hi5viralnews1 15,368 views
- 2:42 Funerals continue for victims of Connecticut school shootingsby newsdailyplanet2 3,041 views
- 6:50 HIGH SCHOOL GIG WEB SERIES - EP2by highschoolgig 224,300 views
- 4:30 Newtown Elementary School Shooter Detailsby ABCNews 157,385 views
- 3:48 President Obama weeps over Connecticut school massacreby CNN 160,066 views
- 6:25 Virginia Tech School Shooting FULL VIDEOby xmikex95 1,531,946 views
- 3:19 Tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School: Story of Fallen Teacher in Newtown, Connecticut Shootingby ABCNews 421,293 views
- 6:36 US School Massacre: 27 People (20 Children) Killed In Connecticut & Obama Tears Upby TheCheckItOutChannel 10,391 views
- 2:39 Masscre 29 Killed 20 Children Dead Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting Newtown Connecticutby VipOnly6922 24,329 views
- 3:22 Connecticut Shooting: Sandy Hook Elementary Teachers' Reactions to Gunshots - ABC Newsby ABCNews 293,217 views
- 4:34 Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting: Why Did Adam Lanza Snap? - ABC Newsby ABCNews 445,970 views
- 1:04 Funeral for a father and son killed by Sandy .. More »by VideoTopNews 10,707 views
- 6:44 Crazy Orange County Police Pursuitby KTLA 8,512,892 views
- 4:50 Rohullah Nikpa Olympic 2012 in Londan part1by afghan afghan 9,368 views
- Loading more suggestions...