Train Vs. Tornado, Train Loses!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 3, 2009
January 7, 2008 ...The tornado started at 3:30 pm about 1.2 miles north of Poplar Grove in Boone county and ended at 3:48 pm about 3.2 miles north northeast of Harvard in McHenry county, Illinois.
The first signs of damage were at Quail Trap road where trees were damaged and sections of roofing were removed from a shed. A large barn was destroyed and other buildings were severely damaged. Large trees were snapped or uprooted. The tornado reached its maximum intensity of EF3 at the northeast corner of Centerville road and Beaverton road. A two story farm house and garage were leveled and large trees were stripped of all branches. The tornado was about 100 yards wide through this area.
There was damage to trees, power lines, barns, and sheds. The tornado then crossed the Boone/McHenry county line as a weak EF0 tornado with just minor tree damage at this point. It crossed Hunter road and continued to track northeast across Ryan road as an EF0 and caused mainly minor tree damage. It crossed White Oaks road then it uprooted a hardwood tree and snapped off pine trees at their base along Maxon road. The tornado intensified as it moved toward the town of Lawrence where it produced the worst damage. Significant damage occurred in the town of Lawrence particularly at a house that had more than half of its roof ripped off and garage blown out.
The tornado then moved across the Chicago and Northwestern railroad where it blew 12 railroad freight cars off the track. The train was moving at the time the tornado hit it...so as the main engine stopped...the remaining cars on the track continued along it and slammed into the front part of the train. This caused a few more cars to derail...including one containing hazardous materials that caused the evacuation of the town of Lawrence.
As the tornado moved east of Lawrence it once again started to weaken with some tree damage and shingles off of a few houses on the northeast side of town. It then ran along Oak Grove road for a stretch where it produced EF1 damage with a hardwood tree snapped at its base and knocked over an old...weakly structured barn with estimated winds around 100 mph. It then headed across farm fields and headed for hwy 14 where it damaged a metal barn and sheared a few trees. As it crossed highway 14 it flipped a semi-trailer and injured the driver at a truck stop weigh station.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:12 something u may have missed in toy story 2by austinsonic341,868 views
- 1:08 Head on train collision (video shot from onboard)by terryk12331,299,400 views
- 8:20 12,000-year-old unexplained structureby SolutreanAhnenerbe2,962,948 views
- 3:19 Train vs Train With Derailment - Vader WAby Matthew Washam1,090,827 views
- 1:13 Spectacular 1913 Train Collisionby graficsfx761,967 views
- 8:11 Severe Storm in Texas with Tornado Sirensby Matthew Shultz293,266 views
- 84 videos Play all boom an ouchby hgmjbtl
- 0:59 *MUST SEE*! This Is Why People Get Hit By Trains!?!by Tcostello1052,693,173 views
- 2:13 60163 Tornado Steam Engine launchby leadingedgetv1,146,939 views
- 2:58 High speed freight train Texasby geoffmackley108,632 views
- 0:20 Train vs. Cowby maousn752,590,352 views
- 6:51 Tornadoes, Lightning in Rare Videoby National Geographic3,153,375 views
- 0:46 Strong Winds Whip Trucks, Train in Iowaby AssociatedPress346,722 views
- 8:28 Dangerous Tornado Hits My House!by Lampofilm505,241 views
- 8:24 LARGEST TORNADO EVER!!! From Birth to Death (w/ Radar & Commentary) 5-31-13by Pecos Hank771,039 views
- 2:02 Tornado Chases Trainby harleyguy1501,990,077 views
- 0:55 Cow vs. Locomotiveby bytebark4,124,909 views
- 8:27 EF3 Tornado Hits Norfolk Southern Trainby Heath Nicks30,281 views
- 0:51 Teen Hits Deer - 5 Hours After Buying Car!by byebyehooptie355,387 views
- 8:26 F5 Tornado in Elie, Manitoba on June 22nd, 2007by Justin Hobson3,468,633 views