Mothers of Slain Teens Speak Out for Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 9, 2012
Virginia Nuñez will never forget the most horrific day of her life - February 9th 2008. That's the day she found her 17-year-old daughter Brenda Lee Nuñez stabbed to death inside her own home.
"I got the phone and called 9-1-1 and told them to hurry because she was still warm," Nuñez said in tears. "But my daughter was already dead." Maria Galvan understands Nuñez's pain. She too lost her 17-year-old daughter to a brutal murder in august of 2010. Tiffany Galvan was left to die in a Brownsville park after being stabbed about 48 times.
"I still have a lot of pain - I sometimes feel that I'm dreaming, that it was just a nightmare," Galvan said, "and I just come back to real life and I know that she's gone." The similarities between the two Brownsville murders are eerie. Brenda Lee was killed by an ex-boyfriend who was stalking her. Hector Herasti, who authorities said tied-up, sexually assaulted and stabbed Brenda to death, will spend the rest of his life in jail for the crime.
A boy Tiffany dated, Javier de la Rosa, is behind bars awaiting trial for her murder. February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month and the grieving mothers urge parents to get tough on their children's dating lives, and even encourage them to hold-off on dating until an older age.
"They are supposed to focus on school," Galvan said. "I wish I could have my daughter now to tell her, 'do not have a boyfriend, focus in school, get your career, it's not important to have a boyfriend at this age, you're too young.'" Nuñez said her daughter never told her she feared her boyfriend, but adds that before her death, Brenda did express regret for having a relationship at such a young age.
"Towards the end she would say, 'gosh mom I don't know why I feel in love so young I should've never fallen in love,'" Nuñez said. "I never knew why she used to tell me that."
These mothers only have the memories of their daughters to hold on to now, but hope their tragedies inspire other parents to get involved before it's too late.
"Have more communication and...within schools have (a) type of program where they can alert the students not to get involved so young with boyfriends (and girlfriends)."
Standard YouTube License
- 2:21 Courtroom reacts to teen murderer's 90-year-sentencingby kgbt4tv Featured 5,837
- 1:23 New murder details surface during killer's sentencing trialby kgbt4tv3,134 views
- 1:34 Brownsville Murderby kgbt4tv4,053 views
- 1:56 BROWNSVILLE MURDERby kgbt4tv1,625 views
- 19:12 Teen Dating Violence [Complete]by ~Taii6,458 views
- 17:16 Brenda's Story: a Case History of an Abused Teenby FamilySupportRR5,533 views
- 6:29 My Story of Dating Abuse/Violenceby perfectsinger187,542 views
- 10:58 The Enigmatic Truthby Ronke Ogunmakin8,103 views
- 7:00 Dating Abuse Tragedy - Siobhan Russell inspires DASHby KellyWurx4,684 views
- 4:16 Speak Up: My Story of being Stalkedby kelseymarie7323,261 views
- 10:29 Tiffany being silly XDby bl33d22688 views
- 14:53 Teens Talk About Dating Abuseby EssexDA2,002 views
- 1:14:36 Just Melvin, Just Evil - Classic Documentary about Abuseby Arin Kambitsis2,595,244 views
- 12:17 Crazy About Youby TeenHealthFX4,926 views
- 19:44 Stop the Violenceby sandycityut927 views
- 48:56 Teen Dating Violenceby Eli Karam22,127 views
- 3:19 Break the Silence - Teen Dating Violence PSAby AlbanyCountyDA1,510 views
- 12:11 Twisted - Teen Dating Violenceby tvbygirls3,275 views
- 7:48 Deadly Teen Dating - Tyra (Part 1)by Megami284744,081 views
- 7:07 Maury: 24 y/o Thinks 45 y/o FIANCÉ is Sleeping w Her MOM!! (2010)by therazorsedge2815,936 views
- Loading more suggestions...