Pam Spaulding at Women's Media Center Awards
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 18, 2009
2009 Women's Media Center Awards, NYC. I was honored in the Online Journalism/New Media category. Here is the transcript:
Carole Jenkins: ...Democratic National Convention. Pam received the 2006 Distinguished Achievement Award from the Manatt Horowitz Trust for making signifigant contributions in the eradication of homophobia, and she provides essential journalism and conversation. Pam, where are you, you're fabulous...
Pam Spaulding: I'm over here.
Gloria Steinem: Pam, this is to you for creating a website that gives the LGBT community a strong and sightful voice and a center of action.
Pam: Oh my... gosh. Okay, I didn't make a speech, but I do have people I want to thank.
First I want to thank the Women's Media Center, Gloria and Carol; I can't believe that when I got this email, saying that I was going to be honored... I was like, "why?"
"Who am I; I'm just running this little, you know, blog..."
And I think what is most heartening is about being recognized for this award is because it's about new media. This is a catagory, a much maligned catagory, of 'journalism slash commentary, original reporting and muckraking' and we do alot of it at the Blend.
Obviously, same-sex marriage is in the news, and I'm giving the Obama administration hell right now on my blog. The last week has been exciting, to say the least.
I think that a couple of bloggers and I have made it, alot of pressure on our core advocacy organizations like HRC, to do the right thing and come out strong in making it clear that thate brief on DOMA was outrageous.
But I also want to recognize my readers; without my readers, I am just another voice out in the wilderness on the digital space.
I want to thank my co-bloggers; I had to write them down to remember them because I have so many of them now: Julien Sharp, Russ Bellville, Daimeon Pilcher, Terrence Heath, Louise and Lurleen, and I want to give a big shout-out to Autumn Sandeen, who is breaking new ground as a transgender blogger and advocate.
She covered so many issues that it was necessary for me to include her on my roster and it brought so much gratitude from a community that is fighting desperately for rights, and I'm glad we're getting noticed for that, too.
I also want to thank my ever patient wife, Kate; she is a 'blog widow', because I am probably the only honoree tonight who is being honored for something I do in my spare time.
I'm IT manager at Duke University Press, and my director is very kind to let me spend all of my paid time off covering the Democratic Convention last year and the rest of the race, so I am grateful for Duke University Press as well.
Kate, I love you; I love that we are married right now, as we're standing here in New York...
We celebrate our fifth anniversary on July first, and we are about to return to our home in North Carolina, where we have no rights whatsoever.
So we're gonna work really hard, at our state level, to do what we can.
And to wrap, I want to thank my brother Tim, who has been with me through times thick and thin, from being nearly homeless for a time, and to my mom, who has passed away.
She died in 1997, so she never got to see her son earn his doctorate and become a professor at the University of Delaware; she never got to see me win this award, but one thing she did stress, all the time, is education.
Reading, from the time we were just out of the womb, she never- she always believed in us, and we always had the intestinal fortitude to go on, even in times of adversity, and Tim, you know we have that bond and we'll never lose it and I am just so grateful for everything. Thank you.
Gloria: I think we better stay on Pam's good side...
Standard YouTube License
- 8:08 New American Druglordsby daniel hopsickerFeatured 100,060
- 3:52 Gloria Steinem "The Reintegration of Barbarella"by TheOmegaInstitute 1,671 views
- 9:56 Pam Spaulding: Life in the Shoes of a Bloggerby OutGiving 146 views
- 8:09 Stress Relief - Japanby Journeyman Pictures 25,438 views
- 6:54 Autumn Sandeen Interviewedby autumn59 3,123 views
- 5:35 Transgender Murderby dreamindemon 3,311 views
- 1:26:18 Reza Aslan at Portland Community College, March 2011by Portland Community College 13,720 views
- 4:45 "Gorilla" Affairs - Jamaica 2010by kandrewn007's channel 337 views
- 10:03 Autumn Sandeen Speaks At San Diego Scouting For All Rallyby autumn59 262 views
- 3:14 Portrayal of Black Women in Media - I, Tooby 40AcresMule 38,450 views
- 2:46 If the Burka's Banned, What Comes Next?by ForaTv 25,616 views
- 5:40 Gloria Steinem interviews Bette Midler clip 2 of 2by surfergirlCali's channel 4,085 views
- 8:03 Peterson Tuscano Interviewed by Autumn Sandeen - Rev.1by autumn59 395 views
- 10:34 Beth Karas Of TruTV In Session Interviewed By Autumn Sandeen Of Pam's House Blendby autumn59 3,812 views
- 7:20 Voices From The Angie Zapata Family Vigil (April 14, 2009)by autumn59 2,827 views
- 2:58 Catherine Loria with Jed Madela - Malacanang - Tomorrowby Mart Ilagan 8,264 views
- 5:48 Freedom To Marry Day 2009by Syd & Will get married 858 views
- 0:52 Autumn Post Gastric Bypassby autumn59 831 views
- 6:02 Pam Spaulding on CNNby Pam Spaulding 3,882 views
- 7:01 NCLR's Shannon Minter Interviewed for Pam's House Blend by Autumn Sandeenby autumn59 496 views
- Loading more suggestions...