Zé Manel - Africa Unite (Maron di Mar 2001)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 13, 2010
Artist: Zé Manel
Title of the song: "Africa Unite"
Name of the album: "Maron di Mar"
Release date: 2001
Lead vocal: Zé Manel
Background vocal 1: Dimita Batise
Background vocal 2: John "Dubi" Hampton
Drums: Zé Manel
Percussion: Zé Manel
Bass guitar: Dennis Smith
Rhythm guitar: Zé Manel
Piano: Steve Carter
Synth harmonica: Zé Manel
Music: Zé Manel
Lyric: Zé Manel
Singer and multi-instrumentalist, Zé Manel is the most famous and influential contemporary musician to emerge from the West African country of Guinea-Bissau. By the age of seven, Zé, playing drums and acoustic guitar, had become the main attraction of Super Mama Djombo band. During the 1970's, this seminal orchestra played a major role in the liberation struggle of this former Portuguese colony.
In 1982, Zé released his first solo album "Tustumunhos di Aonti" (Yesterday's Testimony), which sounded the alarm over the formation of a new repressive ruling class in Guinea-Bissau. The album was a national event (people in Guinea-Bissau today still sing the songs from this soulful, relevant album), but the political environment was heating up and Manel's fans were concerned for his safety. Manel fled his homeland. This self-exile took him to Portugal, France and, finally, the United States.
His American debut album, "Maron di Mar" on Cobiana Records and released in 2001, was an instant success. It received rave reviews from European and American media and was nominated for best album at the All African Kora Music Awards in South Africa, and best world music album at the Just Plain Folks Music Awards in the USA.
He returns with a new album "African Citizen" on the M10 label. His message in the title track is more global. Zé calls for African unity, peace, and stability on all the continents. He delivers his messages in the most beguiling of tenor voices accompanied by his acoustic guitar and percussion. In this latest release, Zé's uniquely innovative talent expands the boundaries of both traditional and contemporary Guinea-Bissau dance music, creating a new musical genre that is urban yet profoundly steeped in the roots of his homeland.
In 2004 the CD "African Citizen" won best album and best song of the year in the African music category.
This is an organization which instead of having Corporate sponsorship, is put together by Songwriters, Recording Artists, Music Publishers, Record Labels and others in the Music Industry.
He performed a stirring rendition of the winning song Voz do Sangue with his band at the award ceremony in Los Angeles and was presented with the two awards.
Sung in many languages (Kriol, Portuguese, English, and French), the lyrics are as declamatory and inflammatory as his rhythms are infectiously danceable. Zé sings of love for family and friends, respect for women, compassion for children, social justice, and he poignantly describes the ravages of poverty, prostitution, AIDS, and the dictatorships that repress the advancement of people. Zé said he faced the challenge of blending cultures while preserving his own. "I am respecting our traditional music, but we want to make more progress towards meeting other cultures".
The album was recorded in the United States with guest artists from around the world. African Citizen reflects Zé's dream of cultural fusion : one world, one people, many voices.
Buy his music and read more at http://www.zemanel.com/
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Afriça unite" on
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:53 Ze Manel Africa is not Independentby manpiresFeatured 2,929
- 4:05 Ze manel - The Mask Of Racismby OilyBoily84 7,567 views
- 4:17 ASSIM KU MUSICA KUNSAby Anssumane Silla 10,808 views
- 10:12 Tabanka Djazby HermenCarvalho 8,368 views
- 3:58 José Carlos Schwarz - Po Cata Bida Lagartuby fabifive 23,444 views
- 11:30 IVA & ICHY - PUTI DI MEL.wmvby elias sá 26,966 views
- 7:09 Guiné-Bissau FBMJ - Caminho Sukuroby Edson Incopté 134,658 views
- 4:45 Néné Tuty - Rapaz Kumbusby AfricaStickMusic 10,501 views
- 81 videos Play all SWEET AFRICA.by NYABINGHI2
- 4:19 Karyna Silva Gomes sings "Mana" (Sister)by katinternationale 7,418 views
- 3:36 ZE CARLOS SCHWARZ - Nna nega bedju_Guiné-Bissauby panhapubis 7,487 views
- 5:02 ISMAEL LO - AFRICAby shamvara 164,712 views
- 2:09 Super Mama Djombo - Balieraby Ólafur Páll Geirsson 4,684 views
- 5:08 Super Mama Djombo - Dissan na m'beraby Ólafur Páll Geirsson 12,012 views
- 4:55 Ze Manel - Na Kaminho Di Lutaby vidus88 885 views
- 4:56 Guinea_Bissau_-_Rui_Sangara_-_N_punta_Bu_Nome.mp4by NUNO INJAI NOGUEIRA 13,537 views
- 3:52 Africa Unite - La Storiaby Dave Bit 149,576 views
- 4:41 Esperança by Zeras Bunca Sanha,Guiné Bissauby AlloysOjimpor 20,526 views
- 4:39 Gumbé di Noss (by Saluky System).mpgby djugudre 114,921 views
- 2:58 Ze Manel - I Am Thatby OilyBoily84 3,984 views
- 6:22 Super Mama Djombo - Bissau kila muda (acoustic)by GunnlaugurG 14,807 views
- Loading more suggestions...