Naval Heritage | Kevin McCranie: War of 1812
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 4, 2012
Professor Kevin D. McCranie speaks about the continued importance of understanding the War of 1812.
"The Naval War of 1812: A Strategic Appraisal at Two Hundred Years"
Naval Heritage Lecture Series
April 2, 2012
Presented by: Professor Kevin D. McCranie, Strategy and Policy Department, and author of "Utmost Gallantry: the U.S. and Royal Navies at Sea in the War of 1812"
Professor McCranie notes:
"Two hundred years ago, the United States declared war on Great Britain. The resulting conflict, the War of 1812, pitted the greatest power in the world against a fledgling United States. On one level, the war solidified the place of the United States Navy in the country's defense establishment. Stories of valor, honor, and achievement from the war remain with us today. Based on deeper analysis, the war offers many unique operational and strategic insights. The United States possessed a small, qualitatively capable navy, but it was also a navy faced with growing pains in the areas of leadership and readiness. America's opponent possessed a very different worldview as the world's dominant naval power with near global commitments. Moreover, at the outbreak of the War of 1812, Britain was engaged in an ongoing war with Napoleonic France. While Britain managed different but multiple threats, the Americans attempted to contest the seas. Though a traditional victory was out of the question given a British numerical advantage of nearly fifty-to-one, the Americans protracted the war and made sea control a very expensive proposition for Britain. Explaining the design, execution, and effects of operations by both the British and American navies conveys the continued relevance of studying the War of 1812 on its two hundredth anniversary."
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the speaker's own and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Naval War College, the Department of the Navy, the Department of Defense, or any other branch or agency of the U.S. Government.
Standard YouTube License
- 54:32 World War Two: Pacific Campaign Ending 1945by wicked400mFeatured 1,418
- 1:18:58 A Tale of Three Cities: How the U.S. Won World War IIby USArmyWarCollege 9,210 views
- 1:10:12 A War of Empire and Frontier: The Philippine-American War, 1899-1902by USArmyWarCollege 3,602 views
- 19:58 The War of 1812by nuclearvault 20,676 views
- 1:04:15 Clausewitz and Contemporary Warby USArmyWarCollege 17,496 views
- 1:03:26 The War of 1812 Canadian View.by thechipmunck414 6,350 views
- 6:04 Henry Kissinger on the fall of the USA rise of China (19Jan11)by liarpoliticians 101,684 views
- 50:27 World War 1: Tactics And Strategy High Definition (Colorised)by AnonAvatar 288,365 views
- 5:13 America's 1800 War with Franceby USMarineRifleman0311 1,316 views
- 1:22:49 The Third World's Warby lsewebsite 18,058 views
- 51:02 CSF 2012 | Gen. Joseph Dunford Jr.: U.S. Grand Strategy in Maritime Powerby usnavalwarcollege 2,352 views
- 27:15 Navy Submarine Force - Silent Service - RECON - Military Videos - The Pentagon Channelby MilitaryClips.com 80,145 views
- 47:57 Christopher Hitchens on 1989 & the Role of the U.S. in the World (October 8, 2005)by TheSasss1 8,205 views
- 8:08 The Naval Wars with France and Tripoli (1953) - Part 1by usnavyhistory 3,499 views
- 5:45 "Old Ironsides" - 1950's newsreel about USS Constitution.by wdtvlive42 7,026 views
- 5:17 Francis Fukuyama: China vs. United Statesby carnegiecouncil 4,771 views
- 10:11 War of 1812 pt1-2 History of the United States Navy 1955 US Navy Training Filmby Jeff Quitney 1,235 views
- 1:24:44 2011 SNA Naval Heritage Program: Guadalcanalby EmpireMediaGroupInc 330 views
- 6:10 The Hand of God or Coincidence ~ The War of 1812by pangeanet 4,731 views
- 2:10 War of 1812 Bicentennial: Battle of Queenston Heights - British-Canadians near victoryby naturalhero 887 views
- Loading more suggestions...