TEDxMaastricht - Luciano Floridi - "The fourth technological revolution"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 6, 2011
Who are we? And what is our role in the universe? Information technology is radically changing not only how we deal with the world and make sense of it, or interact with each other, but also how we look at ourselves and understand our own existence and responsibilities. Philosophy Professor Floridi ( @Floridi ) will discuss such impact of information technology on our lives and on our self-understanding; he will take us along the Copernican revolution, the Darwinian revolution, the Freudian revolution right up to speed with the Turing revolution: a world of inforgs in a global environment ultimately made of information. Floridi will talk about expanding our ecological and ethical approach to both natural and man-made realities, in order to cope successfully with the new moral challenges posed by information technology. Ready for some philosophy? You bet!
What is TEDx?
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxMaastricht, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxMaastricht event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
Please take a look at this video that explains what TEDx has become:
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 25 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. The annual TED Conference invites the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes. Their talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Al Gore, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani,Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The annual TED Conference takes place in Long Beach, California, with simulcast in Palm Springs; TEDGlobal is held each year in Oxford, UK. TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily, and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide.
TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world, and the TEDFellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Standard YouTube License
- 25:28 TEDxAmsterdam 2012 Rory Sutherland - The Next Revolution Will Be Psychological, Not Technologicalby TEDxTalks6,312 views
- 17:08 TEDxMaastricht - Simon Sinek - "First why and then trust"by TEDxTalks282,948 views
- 19:53 TEDxMaastricht - Daniel Kraft - "What's next in healthcare?"by TEDxTalks17,495 views
- 8:38 TEDxMaastricht - Sophie van der Stap - "Girl with the nine wigs"by TEDxTalks18,163 views
- 18:12 TEDxMaastricht - Tim Hurson - "The shock of the possible"by TEDxTalks18,449 views
- 8:37 TEDxMaastricht - Thomas Power - "The end of organizations as we know them"by TEDxTalks4,726 views
- 18:54 TEDxFCCollege - Saba Gul - Why intellect is not enoughby TEDxTalks5,973 views
- 12:24 TEDxBoulder - Peter McGraw - What Makes Things Funnyby TEDxTalks97,133 views
- 15:53 TEDxSydney - David Chalmers - The Extended Mindby TEDxTalks33,403 views
- 7:53 TEDxMaastricht - Ragna van den Berg - "This is your captain speaking"by TEDxTalks8,897 views
- 17:14 Economics of the Information Revolution: Jim Whitehurst at TEDxRaleigh 2012by TEDxTalks2,276 views
- 19:56 TEDxGWU - Peter Bock - Emergence of Creativity in Artificial Intelligenceby TEDxTalks3,823 views
- 19:03 TEDxSF - Roz Picard - Emotion Technologyby TEDxTalks22,369 views
- 14:08 TEDxMaastricht - Frans Hiddema - "The least used resource: patient"by TEDxTalks1,692 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,343,503 views
- 11:49 TEDxMaastricht - Nicolette Mak - "Purpose, perception and power"by TEDxTalks2,291 views
- 16:43 TEDxGreenville - Max Strom - There is No App for Happinessby TEDxTalks23,682 views
- 11:36 How technology moves society - not politics: Lasse Birk Olesen at TEDxCopenhagen 2012by TEDxTalks16,841 views
- 10:16 TEDxMaastricht - Dancing Doctorsby TEDxTalks816 views