Mitt Romney Embraces Privatizing Medicare and Social Security and Raising Eligibility Ages
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 18, 2012
I'm waiting to see how Mitt Romney walks any of this back once the general election begins if he ends up winning the Republican presidential nomination because I don't see how his statements tonight on Social Security and Medicare are going to help him with seniors later on, no matter how many times he reiterates that the cuts won't affect current recipients or those over fifty five years of age. During this Monday night's Republican debate Romney apparently thinks that seniors don't care what happens to their children or grandchildren.
Romney was asked what he would do in regards to Social Security and Medicare and he started things out with one of the Republican zombie lies out there, that President Obama cut $500 billion from Medicare. Mother Jones has more on why that's just not true here -- Return of the Big GOP Medicare Lie.
He also fully endorsed raising the eligibility ages for both Social Security and Medicare, endorsed Paul Ryan's plan to privatize Medicare, means testing which turns the programs into welfare programs and block-granting Medicaid back to the states. He also seemed to completely contradict himself within the time frame of a few minutes with his follow up a little later in the debate when he said "we simply can't say we're going to go out and borrow more money to let people set up new accounts to take money away from Social Security and Medicare today." Just what does he think those "voluntary" accounts are going to do to future benefit recipients? It's bad enough the man flip flops on every issue, he couldn't even get his talking points straight within a sentence of each other.
Sadly the awful policies he was promoting here rather than raising taxes on the wealthy and raising the income cap on payroll taxes and curbing the cost of health insurance by moving to a single payer program are not anything that either interests or is supported by his fellow Republican primary contenders, or the hapless moderators asking the questions during the debate.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:46 Presidential Debate 2012 on Social Security: Candidates Clash Over Vouchersby ABCNews 20,213 views
- 10:09 Mitt Romney on Medicareby RepublicHeritage 640 views
- 5:51 Mitt Romney Hit From Both Sides By Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich at Presidential Debateby UnfilteredView 3,273 views
- 1:24 Ron Paul Makes Mitt Romney Look Stupidby TheLiberalPacifist 1,407,138 views
- 7:42 Mitt Romney's Medicare Fraudby UC Vibes 4,701 views
- 2:06 Romney defends his extreme wealthby CNN 6,274 views
- 6:01 Mitt Romney's plan for the economyby CBSNewsOnline 15,647 views
- 3:01 Ron Paul Makes Moderator Look Stupid on Military Spending - South Carolina Debate 1-16-2012by R11110000 582,941 views
- 2:11 Mitt Romney on Social Securityby granitestatescsr 956 views
- 3:17 Cafferty File: Privatizing Social Securityby heathr456 44,062 views
- 2:13 Fact-checking Romney's Medicare cut claimsby CBSNewsOnline 1,500 views
- 6:14 Ron Paul - End Medicare, Social Security & Medicaid?by TheYoungTurks 86,162 views
- 2:55 Mitt Romney Interview On The Economyby speaknowamerica2009 5,684 views
- 10:36 NEW Romney-Ryan LIES about Medicare & Welfare reform! - Last Wordby PlanetEarth Trimtab 34,928 views
- 1:24 Ron Paul on Israel 2012 presidential debateby americansanscullotes 42,168 views
- 25:44 Mitt Romney Delivers Detailed Speech on Reforming Government and Medicareby FreedomsLighthouse 5,132 views
- 9:56 Milton Friedman - The Social Security Mythby LibertyPen 125,446 views
- 2:32 Ron Paul tells Mitt Romney to read the Constitution!by KramerDSP 383,044 views
- 5:57 Romney - Cut Social Security, Medicareby TheYoungTurks 27,360 views
- 1:11 Romney, Ryan answer critics of Medicare positionby CBSNewsOnline 39,776 views
- Loading more suggestions...