Ustad Abdul Wahid Khan - Raag Patdip
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 1, 2011
One of the few existing recordings of Ustad Abdul Wahid Khan, an extremely influential artist of the Kirana Gharana.
A number of Abdul Wahid Khansaheb's students became renowned musicians. They included Sureshbabu Mane, Hirabai Badodekar, Begum Akhtar, Saraswatibai Rane, Pran Nath, Ram Narayan, Shakoor Khan, and Mohammed Rafi.
Ustad Amir Khan was also extremely influenced by the music of Abdul Wahid Khan.
The following description is taken from the KishoriRay's upload of Abdul Wahid Khan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhlbmr...
Ustad Abdul Wahid Khan and Ustad Abdul Karim Khan popularized the Kirana Gharana style of classical music in India.
Although a youthful prodigy of the Kolhapur court, remaining unchallenged after his public debut there at age 18, Abdul Wahid Khan had no inclination to spend time singing in the courts. Instead he lived a devout, reclusive life, singing in the presence of holy men and at the tombs of Sufi saints and only occasionally sang in public. The most striking fact on his performance was apparently his alap. The time he took, the care, to elaborate the raga was exceptional among khayal singers: he might take hours on one raga. When Salamat Ali Khan was asked by one of his disciples for a description of Abdul Wahid Khan, he replied: he would begin to improvise in Lahore and you could travel to Delhi and back, and he would still be improvising. More than that you don't ask. Ustad Ali Akbar Khan said that when most musicians came to the radio station, they sang their raga and went home. When Abdul Wahid Khan would come, however, he would sing his scheduled broadcast and then just continue for 20 hours or so. People would come and go, and he would still be singing.
His command of the art was such that no other musician ever performed in his presence. Abdul Wahid Khan practiced Todi and Darbari day in and day out. When asked why he limited himself to only two ragas, his response was that he would have dropped the second one also if morning time could last forever. One lifetime, according to him, was not enough to do justice to any raga. He was forced to change from Todi to something else only because of the setting sun and the gathering darkness.
Born in Kirana, he later moved to Lahore where he made an independent career until his death in Saharanpur in 1949. Ustad Abdul Wahid Khan was inferred the title of "Sirtaaj-e-Mousiki" the Crown of All Musicians, The King of Music. He had a most religious and pious attitude to life, paying homage throughout his life to his pir the Sufi, Khwaja Ali Ahmed Nafi Alam, a saint living in Multan in the Punjab, now Pakistan. Requiring rigorous discipline and fierce devotion, Abdul Wahid Khan accepted very few disciples, among them Pandit Pran Nath who became one of the most important disciples through his ceaseless practice, natural talent and extraordinary ability to serve his master. For almost 20 years he served his Guru and in 1970 came to the USA where he has many disciples in New York, California and Oregon including the American composers La Monte Young and Terry Riley.
Ustad Abdul Wahid Khan had only one surviving son, who followed in his father's footsteps to also become a great musician on the sarangi and voice. Ustad Hafizullah Khan was a senior artist with the highest ratings at All India Radio in Delhi for over 35 years.
Standard YouTube License
- 20 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Ustad Abdul Wahid Khan - Raag Patdip
- 17:54 Hirabai Barokedar and Saraswati Rane - Raga Chandrakauns Jugalbandiby clmusic888 Featured 9,566
- 1:28:17 Bihag - The Last Concert of Ustad Amir Khan (Calcutta)by Raga Rang1,465 views
- 22:27 Raag Rang 1) Raga - Hamsadhwaniby Sagar Music5,587 views
- 27:43 Ustad Amir Khan Vocal Recital: Raga Rageshree and Tarana in Malkauns Ragaby Nehal Mehta31,893 views
- 8:17 Ustad Abdul Karim Khan, Raga Basant (Vilambit and Drut together)by cactus176223,056 views
- 28:19 Shakhsiyat with Ustad Imrat Khanby Rajya Sabha TV3,140 views
- 4:09 Ustad Abdul Karim Khan: Jamuna ke teerby cactus176219,940 views
- 2:00:55 Ustad Amir Khan Live in Londonby rliesky569,606 views
- 33:09 Jugalbandi: Vocal and Sitar: Raag Purvi - Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan and Ustad Imrat Khanby Nehal Mehta7,132 views
- 10:01 Ustad Amir Khan - All India Radio Documentary (Part 1)by RaagRasa6,431 views
- 32:51 Joy in the Morning - Pt Ulhas Kashalkar Sings Alhaiya Bilawalby havanurmic4,585 views
- 28:00 GREAT ALAPS-Ustad amir khan-raag shuddha kalyanby thuryina12,444 views
- 13:51 Raga Basant Bahar - Ustad Amir Khanby clmusic8887,193 views
- 28:40 Raga Devgiri Bilawal by N Rajam on Violinby Nehal Mehta17,450 views
- 27:46 Ustad Amir Khan - Raga Jogby aliaziz879,705 views
- 29:24 Ustad Amir Khan ~ Raga Ahir Bhairav (1984)by DroneSoma5,164 views
- 13:36 Ustad Amir Khanby cactus17621,427 views
- 14:48 Baba Allaudin Khan AlR documentaryby RaagRasa8,596 views
- 12:21 Ustad Amir Khan Singing Raga Hamsadhwani, 1955by cactus17625,588 views
- 58:38 Ustad Ali Akbar Khan & Sri Swapan Chaudharyby simplyvipin18,020 views
- Loading more suggestions...