Fox News: The Nonsense Zone // Who is behind the Occupy Wall Street movement?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 22, 2012
IPS is grateful to Bill O'Reilly for this opportunity to showcase our proud history of public scholarship on inequality, peace, justice, and the environment.
The Institute for Policy Studies is honored to join the long list of respected individuals and organizations that Bill O'Reilly has attacked on his Fox News show. During the opening segment of his May 22 tirade, O'Reilly attacked us for serving as the Occupy movement's "headquarters." He even implied that some central figure is making decisions about what color Occupy "agitators" should wear. These are hilarious claims about a movement that defiantly makes decisions through the direct participation of all of its members, rather than in a top-down process. And that would include fashion choices.
We don't know how O'Reilly and his colleagues cooked up their theories. They didn't bother to contact us before staging this attack. But IPS is nevertheless grateful for this opportunity to showcase our proud history of public scholarship on inequality, peace, justice, and the environment.
We have worked on the issue of inequality for two decades. We host one of the leading web sites for facts, figures and analysis, www.inequality.org. Our annual Executive Excess report , now in its 18th year, garners major mainstream media coverage on the growing gap between CEO and worker pay. Recently, IPS was invited to give testimony on this research to the Senate Budget Committee. IPS is also doing a great deal of research on the transition away from a speculative Wall Street economy to a green and demilitarized Main Street economy .
IPS researchers were very pleased when the Occupy encampments raised awareness of the growing problems with extreme inequality and how war spending fuels the economic crisis. During his broadcast, O'Reilly claimed that the Occupy movement is no longer about inequality. He's wrong. This movement continues to highlight the great divide between the 1 percent and the 99 percent, and it continues to draw attention to how a casino Wall Street has crashed our economy and corrupted our politics. The Occupy movement has brought these vital issues into dinner conversations across this country.
Starting last fall, IPS conducted workshops on inequality, environmental justice, and ending wars, with Occupy DC. We offered to let them use our space for meetings when the weather was bad or on weekends. Two weeks ago, IPS offered them space in our offices where they are producing an online newspaper called DC Mic Check . SEIU, the dynamic union of janitors and other service workers, has made a contribution to help us cover the costs.
IPS is an independent, nonpartisan, and non-profit organization. For nearly half a century, we have worked with and provided research and analysis to a diverse set of social movements, unions, and others for peace, justice, and the environment. Thank you, Bill O'Reilly, for putting us in the spotlight.
John Cavanagh is the director of the Institute for Policy Studies. http://www.ips-dc.org/
Standard YouTube License
- 1:45:05 What are the IMF and the World Bank? Why Should I Care?by InstPolicyStudies 261 views
- 4:21 Phyllis Bennis on the claim of chemical weapons Syriaby InstPolicyStudies 191 views
- 1:25:41 What is The African Diaspora's Responsibility Towards Africa?by Institute for Policy Studies 19 views
- 1:04:25 Africa and The Global Arms Trade Treatyby InstPolicyStudies No views
- 4:53 Alex Jones Rips Fox News a New One!by Anonymous0US0 916 views
- 14:46 Occupy Wall Street: The History of the Movement (THE BEST OCCUPY MOVIE)by Ayesha Samiyyah Kirk 1,061 views
- 3:17 '1%' CEO Confronts Occupy Protesters mrcTVby http://www.crusader18.blogspot.com/ 177,838 views
- 12:41 Papantonio: How Wall Street Fuels Income Inequalityby golefttv 477 views
- 5:02 Occupy Detroit Movementby WHATANTICS 1,035 views
- 12:43 2012.06.04 - GBTV - The Glenn Beck Radio Program - Economic End Gameby Jared Law 1,030 views
- 45:14 Revolution, Civil Society, and Change in the Arab Regionby InstPolicyStudies 10 views
- 14:24 Pastor Tony Evans w/ Glenn Beck On GBTV, Books "Oneness Embraced" & "The Kingdom Agenda" Way to Liveby Glenn Beck Book List 12,613 views
- 6:43 Miller Time - Dennis Miller - O'Reilly Factor - 5-9-12by RightSightings 5,138 views
- 24:06 ΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ ΤΡΑΓΚΑΣ Εξαγγελία το νέο φόρουμ ελλαδα Ε.Α.Μby ΠΑΡΑΤΟΛΜΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΑΣ 227 views
- 23:16 ΜΕ ΤΟ ΒΛΕΜΜΑ ΣΤΟ ΜΕΛΛΟΝ ΣΤΙΣ ΣΥΜΜΑΧΙΕΣ ΤΩΝ ΚΟΜΜΑΤΩΝ Αby 1FocusWebTv 514 views
- 5:59 Occupy at NATO -- Pelosi Drive - DC Comics New Gay Hero -- Miller Time -- The Factor -- 5-23-12by RightSightings 895 views
- 5:09 Bill Burr - "What Are You, A Fag!?"by xloosefusionx 390,001 views
- 0:58 ΓΕΩΡΓΙΑΔΗΣ (22-5-2012) - Ο ΞΕΠΕΣΜΟΣ ΤΟΥ... ΤΟΝΟΥ !by FILOSTRATOS2 425 views
- 10:56 George Osborne + IMF Christine Lagarde on UK economy (22May12)by liarpoliticians 1,210 views
- 9:58 The Rachel Maddow Show - Obama keeps focus on Romney's time at Bainby Licentiathe8th 2,637 views
- Loading more suggestions...