Dan Gilbert on our mistaken expectations, Best Brain Supplements
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 10, 2012
http://www.excelerol.com - Best Brain Supplements
Dan Gilbert believes that, in our ardent, lifelong pursuit of happiness, most of us have the wrong map. In the same way that optical illusions fool our eyes -- and fool everyone's eyes in the same way -- Gilbert argues that our brains systematically misjudge what will make us happy. And these quirks in our cognition make humans very poor predictors of our own bliss.
The premise of his current research -- that our assumptions about what will make us happy are often wrong -- is supported with clinical research drawn from psychology and neuroscience. But his delivery is what sets him apart. His engaging -- and often hilarious -- style pokes fun at typical human behavior and invokes pop-culture references everyone can relate to. This winning style translates also to Gilbert's writing, which is lucid, approachable and laugh-out-loud funny. The immensely readable Stumbling on Happiness, published in 2006, became a New York Times bestseller and has been translated into 20 languages.
In fact, the title of his book could be drawn from his own life. At 19, he was a high school dropout with dreams of writing science fiction. When a creative writing class at his community college was full, he enrolled in the only available course: psychology. He found his passion there, earned a doctorate in social psychology in 1985 at Princeton, and has since won a Guggenheim Fellowship and the Phi Beta Kappa teaching prize for his work at Harvard. He has written essays and articles for The New York Times, Time and even Starbucks, while continuing his research into happiness at his Hedonic Psychology Laboratory.
"Gilbert's elbow-in-the-ribs social-science humor is actually funny. ... But underneath the goofball brilliance, [he] has a serious argument to make about why human beings are forever wrongly predicting what will make them happy."
New York Times Book Review
Standard YouTube License
- 1:30:38 Art of Happy & Healthy Relationship - Prof. E.V. Swaminathanby OmshantiVideoFeatured 13,131
- 23:46 Nietzsche "The Consequences of Ideas" - R.C Sproulby Argin Gerigorian 9,334 views
- 1:01:10 Be Your Own Therapistby GoogleTechTalks 297,688 views
- 21:52 Dan Dennett on our consciousness, Best Brain Supplementsby excelerol 10,444 views
- 10:17 Matt Killingsworth: Want to be happier? Stay in the momentby TEDtalksDirector 116,857 views
- 21 videos Play all Science & Techby vampyzamby
- 1:19:46 Fearless Freedom, The Secret to Happinessby DrukpaPublications 2,634 views
- 21:04 Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you areby TEDtalksDirector 1,141,937 views
- 13:04 Daniel Gilbert - Learning Techniquesby JamPlayDotCom 5,263 views
- 51:32 Big Think Interview With Elizabeth Gilbertby bigthink 17,622 views
- 34:26 Matthieu Ricard on Happiness - part 1by actionforhappiness 16,841 views
- 20:20 TEDxUNC - Dan Ariely - The Unexpected Joys and Problems with Creationby TEDxTalks 3,113 views
- 3:33 Power Up Your Brain - Supplements for Better Brainsby Beth Feldman 2,421 views
- 19:50 Keith Barry: Brain magicby TEDtalksDirector 1,431,699 views
- 2:01 Why Be Happy When You Could Be Interesting?by Big Think 301,650 views
- 19:05 Susan Cain: The power of introvertsby TEDtalksDirector 1,386,822 views
- 21:49 Chip Conley: Measuring what makes life worthwhileby TEDtalksDirector 79,439 views
- 9:49 synthetic happinessby Trà Dương 13,904 views
- 17:58 Daphne Bavelier: Your brain on video gamesby TEDtalksDirector 264,080 views
- 11:31 Shawn Achor on Happinessby SUCCESSmagazine 21,704 views
- 7:27 Ron Gutman: The hidden power of smilingby TEDTalks 488,246 views
- Loading more suggestions...