Modern Money & Public Purpose 2: Governments Are Not Households
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 17, 2012
The Columbia Pre-Law Society Proudly Presents:
GOVERNMENTS ARE NOT HOUSEHOLDS: Implications Of Monetary Sovereignty & Stock-Flow Consistent Accounting
Moderator: Thomas Edsall, Joseph Pulitzer II and Edith Pulitzer Moore Professor of Journalism, Columbia University
Speaker 1: Warren Mosler, President, Valance Co., Inc.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Kelton, Associate Professor of Economics, University of Missouri-Kansas City
Part of the 2012-2013 Seminar Series on Contemporary Issues in Law and Political Economics organized by the Workers' Rights Student Coalition
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
This seminar will examine the legal and institutional structure of the current global monetary system, with a particular emphasis on the economic freedoms afforded to nations such as the U.S., U.K., Japan, Canada and Australia that use a non-convertible fiat currency with a floating exchange rate. Questions to be addressed include:
How does a fiat currency with a floating exchange rate differ from other types of currencies?
How does government spending and taxation work?
Why is accounting important for understanding the economy?
How can monetarily sovereign nations address their current economic problems?
Stephanie Kelton, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of Economics and Chair of the Economics Department at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, Research Scholar at The Levy Economics Institute and Director of Graduate Student Research at the Center for Full Employment and Price Stability. Her research interests include monetary theory, fiscal policy, Federal Reserve operations, international finance and employment policy. Dr. Kelton can be followed on Twitter @deifictowl as well as at the blog New Economic Perspectives, which she created and currently edits.
Warren Mosler is the President of Valance Co, Inc., and Senior Financial Advisor to Senator Ronald E. Russell, President of the 29th Legislature of the U.S. Virgin Islands. He is the founder and current manager of the III Funds, which peaked at over $5 billion AUM in 2007 and currently manages about $1.5 billion, as well as the Founder and President of Mosler Automotive, which manufactures the MT900 sports car in Riviera Beach, Florida. Mr. Mosler has written a number of academic papers on issues relating to macroeconomics and monetary policy, and is the author of Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy (2010). He maintains a personal blog, moslereconomics.com, and can be followed on Twitter @wbmosler.
- 58:29 Bill Black: Our System is So Flawed That Fraud is Mathematically Guaranteedby Peak Prosperity Video ChannelFeatured 20,609
- 2:01:28 Modern Money & Public Purpose 3: The Eurozoneby ModMonPubPurpose 6,443 views
- 1:45:03 Modern Money & Public Purpose 1: The Historical Evolution of Money and Debtby ModMonPubPurpose 14,590 views
- 2:02:52 Modern Money & Public Purpose 5: Constitutional Historyby ModMonPubPurpose 628 views
- 2:01:28 Modern Money & Public Purpose 3: The Eurozoneby ModMonPubPurpose 414 views
- 2:04:28 Modern Money & Public Purpose 4: Real vs. Nominal Economyby ModMonPubPurpose 1,825 views
- 44:04 Thomas Woods schooling Krugman and NY Times 7-10-09by Carter Callahan 15,518 views
- 45:11 Why You and I Can't Spend More Than We Bring In, but the Government Can - and Probably Shouldby Econ Perspectives From KC 4,458 views
- 30:27 David Harvey -Unravelling Capital´s Contradictionsby BIOECONTV's channel 3,729 views
- 14:44 MMT Movie: Economics for Dummiezby Haiku Charlatan 7,101 views
- 1:21:15 Summit MMT - Stephanie Kelton: sectorial balance, public deficit and private saving [15/18 ENG]by Teoria della Moneta Moderna 1,485 views
- 14:30 Beppe Grillo Tour de Force Regionali 2013 M5S Trieste 18-04-2013 2a parteby bruky5 1,021 views
- 7:29 Judge Napolitano ~ IRS Controversy & Obamaby RonPaulCC2012 678 views
- 23:31 Max Keiser: fictitious capital with Michael Hudsonby Press TV 26,807 views
- 6:23 Where does money come from?by Paul Meli 6,394 views
- 57:40 Eben Moglen speaking at HOPE Number 9 in NYC about Walled Gardens and the First Law of Roboticsby Ben Solwitz 3,092 views
- 4:13 2012 Tony Awards - Book of Mormon Musical Opening Number - Helloby Leah Ward 40,562 views
- 1:20:15 An Evening with Syriza: On Greece and the Eurozone - Part 2by ModMonPubPurpose 262 views
- 56:10 The Age of Uncertainty Episode 6 The Rise and Fall of Moneyby sveinbjornt 3,715 views
- 25:56 Michael Hudson: Money & Debtby ModMonPubPurpose 4,786 views
- Loading more suggestions...