Modern Money & Public Purpose 2: Governments Are Not Households
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 17, 2012
The Columbia Pre-Law Society Proudly Presents:
GOVERNMENTS ARE NOT HOUSEHOLDS: Implications Of Monetary Sovereignty & Stock-Flow Consistent Accounting
Moderator: Thomas Edsall, Joseph Pulitzer II and Edith Pulitzer Moore Professor of Journalism, Columbia University
Speaker 1: Warren Mosler, President, Valance Co., Inc.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Kelton, Associate Professor of Economics, University of Missouri-Kansas City
Part of the 2012-2013 Seminar Series on Contemporary Issues in Law and Political Economics organized by the Workers' Rights Student Coalition
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
This seminar will examine the legal and institutional structure of the current global monetary system, with a particular emphasis on the economic freedoms afforded to nations such as the U.S., U.K., Japan, Canada and Australia that use a non-convertible fiat currency with a floating exchange rate. Questions to be addressed include:
How does a fiat currency with a floating exchange rate differ from other types of currencies?
How does government spending and taxation work?
Why is accounting important for understanding the economy?
How can monetarily sovereign nations address their current economic problems?
Stephanie Kelton, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of Economics and Chair of the Economics Department at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, Research Scholar at The Levy Economics Institute and Director of Graduate Student Research at the Center for Full Employment and Price Stability. Her research interests include monetary theory, fiscal policy, Federal Reserve operations, international finance and employment policy. Dr. Kelton can be followed on Twitter @deifictowl as well as at the blog New Economic Perspectives, which she created and currently edits.
Warren Mosler is the President of Valance Co, Inc., and Senior Financial Advisor to Senator Ronald E. Russell, President of the 29th Legislature of the U.S. Virgin Islands. He is the founder and current manager of the III Funds, which peaked at over $5 billion AUM in 2007 and currently manages about $1.5 billion, as well as the Founder and President of Mosler Automotive, which manufactures the MT900 sports car in Riviera Beach, Florida. Mr. Mosler has written a number of academic papers on issues relating to macroeconomics and monetary policy, and is the author of Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy (2010). He maintains a personal blog, moslereconomics.com, and can be followed on Twitter @wbmosler.
- 1:31:54 TTA Podcast 96- A Conversation with Matt Dillahuntyby TheThinkingAtheist Featured 26,016
- 2:04:28 Modern Money & Public Purpose 4: Real vs. Nominal Economyby ModernMoneyNetwork3,026 views
- 2:01:28 Modern Money & Public Purpose 3: The Eurozoneby ModernMoneyNetwork7,513 views
- 1:58:21 MMT vs. Austrian School Debateby ModernMoneyNetwork18,995 views
- 2:01:28 Modern Money & Public Purpose 3: The Eurozoneby ModernMoneyNetwork737 views
- Warren Mosler 143 videos2
- 1:45:03 Modern Money & Public Purpose 1: The Historical Evolution of Money and Debtby ModernMoneyNetwork18,891 views
- 2:23:34 Modern Money & Public Purpose 7: Financial Reformby ModernMoneyNetwork1,461 views
- 1:27:16 Warren Mosler's Soft Currency Economics (audio edited)by Econ Perspectives From KC409 views
- 25:56 Michael Hudson: Money & Debtby ModernMoneyNetwork7,156 views
- 1:28:44 David Friedman & Bob Murphy - The Chicago Vs. Austrian School Debate - PorcFest Xby RedPillRecording16,322 views
- 47:11 How Money Is Made - Documentaryby MoneyAndFinance166,455 views
- 55:05 Booms and Busts, Mises vs Keynes - And Religion As a Bulwark against Tyrannyby Stefan Molyneux10,966 views
- 44:04 Thomas Woods schooling Krugman and NY Times 7-10-09by Carter Callahan17,851 views
- 2:27:17 Modern Money & Public Purpose 8: Economic Rightsby ModernMoneyNetwork1,250 views
- 27:04 L. Randall Wray -- MODERN MONEY: the way a sovereign currency "works"by ModernMoneyNetwork5,229 views
- 42:50 Hartmann-Modern Money Theoryby wilrodx1268 views
- 27:44 Peter "Socialist" Schiff _ Exposed by MMT's Michael Hudsonby Minethis17,031 views
- 59:36 The Problems with Keynesian Solutions to the Current Depression | Robert P. Murphyby misesmedia15,164 views
- 1:27:20 The Economist as Philosopher: Adam Smith and John Maynard Keynes on human nature, social progress...by lsewebsite19,808 views