Obama: Jerusalem must remain undivided, Israeli capital
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 6, 2008
Barack Obama's position on the future of Jerusalem is crystal clear. Of course, there are some people who want it to seem muddied and muddled, among them those embattled leftists (many Jewish) who want him to appear as anti-Israel as they are. It won't work; he is, as I've said many times, a good Zionist, like Martin Luther King and Ronald Reagan, Al Gore and George W. Bush. Forgive the mixing of types. But that has been the range of American support for Israel for decades.
There is also a somewhat larger group of right-wingers (also many of them Jews) who are deft at the blogosphere and insistent that Obama is no friend of Israel, at all. Of course, these men and women are not antagonistic toward Israel in the slightest. But they seem to be more comfortable with the friendship of John Haggee than with the Zionist solidarity of any Democrat.
What's the new fuss about? On Wednesday, Obama told the AIPAC conference in Washington that "Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided." On Thursday, he told CNN that, of course, Jerusalem will be part of whatever negotiations take place in the context of a peace effort. Does the second statement contradict the other, as Obama's critics have mobilized themselves into charging?
Surely, even rabid McCain supporters understand that there will have to be some parley before there's an agreement, even an agreement short of full peace. This is so self-evident that I am stunned that one has to assert the obvious. (I myself doubt that there will be an agreement of any sort any time soon. But that's another matter.)
So let's examine what Obama believes. One that Jerusalem is and will continue to be the capital of the Jewish state. There are no ifs or buts about that. This was not always the official American position. Still, it is now, and Obama has affirmed it will continue to be American policy under his presidency. Frankly, unless Jimmy Carter were suddenly to pick up a second term it is inconceivable that any American president would renege on this.
Obama also asserted that the city will remain undivided. This is his guarantee of American backing for a city map that will not cut off the Mount of Olives from the rest of Jerusalem and that Pisgat Ze'ev and Neve Ya'akov which, east of Arab neighborhoods, were added and annexed to Jerusalem after 1967 and will remain in Jerusalem.
But keep in mind that these intricate matters must be hashed out and ratified at the negotiating table. Unilateral action is always unstable, and these acts will become permanent in the eyes of the Palestinians .
There are Israeli interests that depend on the unification of the city. Many Arabs have been sneaking into Jerusalem to live ihere precisely because they do not want to live under Palestinian sovereignty. Not at all. This race to the city continues the demographic contest in Jerusalem that goes back to the 1840's and which has been continuously and decisively won by the Jews. That's one of the reasons why many Israelis, hard-line and soft -- most Israelis, in fact -- want an independent Palestinian state.
There are many Arab neighborhoods not only in Jerusalem but on the periphery of it. Jews need not be guaranteed undivided access to Sur Bahir and Jabul Mukhabir and perhaps a dozen other Palestinian areas. The question is what rights will their inhabitants have to work in Jerusalem? Or visit Jerusalem? Can anybody pretend that this will be determined without negotiations with the Palestinians?
It's easy to utter "eternal and unified capital of Israel." But Israel does not want that as a slogan or a cliche. Jewish force can keep it that way. But unless it is negotiated there will always be the nagging question as to whether the world acknowledges the fact. In the meantime, all of the embassies in Israel are in Tel Aviv.
Standard YouTube License
- 38:00 Jay Leno and Barack Obama Speech at White House Correspondents Dinnerby Best Internet VideosFeatured 48,214
- 2:36 Obama tells Jewish voters: Barack = Baruchby AntiConformist911 39,667 views
- 0:38 Obama: Jerusalem Will Be Israel's Capitalby AssociatedPress 22,480 views
- 5:45 A student Asks Obama about israel's Human Rights violationsby LamaTV i 227,851 views
- 10:21 Pier Morgan #1, Benjamin Netanyahu 2011, CNN, Itamar massacre, Fogel, Iranby rubinmom100 9,781 views
- 6:02 American Muslims celebrating 9/11by xGH3x 195,284 views
- 2:33 Barack Obama, Rahm Emanuel @ AIPACby AntiConformist911 28,269 views
- 5:38 The REAL Reason Israel Attacked Syriaby StormCloudsGathering 103,853 views
- 1:25 Israelian soldier commits suicide during Sarkozy's departureby Peter Wolf 46,262 views
- 7:19 Obama - The Anti-Israel Presidentby dhfcenter 446,821 views
- 1:46 Romney vs Obama on Jerusalemby Pamela Geller 2,513 views
- 0:52 OBAMA SELLS OUT ISRAEL.....AGAIN! Carney Will NOT Answer Jerusalem Question...by Naked Women Eat Fruit 2,344 views
- 5:33 Obama courts Israel lobbyby The Real News Network 30,337 views
- 3:46 Obama and Palestineby The Real News Network 37,381 views
- 10:52 Top Secret Obama 2012 World War 3 Illuminati Antichrist Conspiracy!by exposedapostasy 2,716,163 views
- 2:07 Israeli Troops in Syria (5.16.13)by OmniChristianVids3 1,906 views
- 8:55 Obama : The DNC errupts in boos as God and Jerusalem are put back into the Platform (Sept 05, 2012)by SignsofThyComing 41,118 views
- 6:17 Chomsky on Obama on Israel & Palestine 23 Jan 2009 Part 3/3by yrrmom 2,364 views
- 3:32 The Hypocrisy of the Obama Administration on Israelby TheRealEmet 2,438 views
- 5:11 MIR: Jerusalem - Can Obama Walk the Walk?by linktv 4,462 views
- Loading more suggestions...