Humanoid robot learns to clean a whiteboard
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 14, 2011
A humanoid robot learns to clean a whiteboard by upper-body kinesthetic teaching. The research is from an Italian-Japanese collaboration between the Italian Institute of Technology and Tokyo City University.
The video shows a Japanese humanoid robot (Fujitsu HOAP-2) learning a surface cleaning task by imitation learning. The presented approach allows a free-standing, self-balancing humanoid robot to acquire new motor skills by kinesthetic teaching. The method controls simultaneously the upper and lower body of the robot with different control strategies. Imitation learning is used for training the upper body via kinesthetic teaching, while at the same time ankle/hip reaction motion patterns are used for keeping the balance of the robot. During demonstration, a force/torque sensor is used to record the exerted forces, and during reproduction, a hybrid position/force controller is used to reproduce the learned trajectories in terms of positions and forces to the end effector.
This research will be presented at the International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) in May 2011 in Shanghai, China.
We present an integrated approach allowing a free-standing humanoid robot to acquire new motor skills by kinesthetic teaching. The proposed method controls simultaneously the upper and lower body of the robot with different control strategies. Imitation learning is used for training the upper body of the humanoid robot via kinesthetic teaching, while at the same time Reaction Null Space method is used for keeping the balance of the robot. During demonstration, a force/torque sensor is used to record the exerted forces, and during reproduction, we use a hybrid position/force controller to apply the learned trajectories in terms of positions and forces to the end effector. The proposed method is tested on a 25-DOF Fujitsu HOAP-2 humanoid robot with a surface cleaning task.
Dr. Petar Kormushev (IIT)
Prof. Dragomir N. Nenchev (TCU)
IIT - Italian Institute of Technology, Advanced Robotics Dept.
TCU - Tokyo City University, Mechanical Systems Engineering Dept.
Photos of whiteboard cleaning robot HOAP-2:
Robot learns to flip pancakes
Link to publication:
Kormushev, P., Nenchev, D.N., Calinon, S., and Caldwell, D.G., "Upper-body Kinesthetic Teaching of a Free-standing Humanoid Robot", IEEE Intl. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2011), 2011.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Robot learning videos by Petar Kormushev
- 2:46 Hexapod Robot Ready To Conquer Extreme Obstaclesby Robots DreamsFeatured 343,579
- 7:49 Top 3 Humanoid Robots In The World! - Robots Dominate World!!!by ForeverSupernova 37,635 views
- 3:16 High Speed Adept Quattro Robot handling steel balls on conveyorby AdeptRobots 236,053 views
- 2:22 The Sarcos Robotby cmurobotics 1,107,203 views
- 9:11 World's Top3 Humanoid Robots - Asimo vs HPR-4 vs NAO!by Annie Lee 2,526,990 views
- 81 videos Play all ROBOOOTSSsssby MaiAriSquee
- 2:25 Most disturbing robot ever (Japanese child robot)by ionelhummer 954,473 views
- 1:00 High Speed Pancake stacking with Flexpicker Robotsby RGLumaAutomation 165,244 views
- 4:07 Paul the robot drawing Patrickby Patrick Tresset 1,201,134 views
- 1:03 Japanese Androids Train for First Ever Robot Marathonby NTDTV 21,605 views
- 2:05 Humanoid robot REEM-Bby Davide Faconti 570,601 views
- 4:02 Aldebaran's New Nao Robot Demoby spectrummag 422,636 views
- 1:39 Robot learns to flip pancakesby Petar Kormushev 220,455 views
- 3:36 Nao robot: Human-Robot Emotionally Assisted Interactionby TdmRobotArchitecture 6,618 views
- 1:26 Robot arm, SketchUp plan #1by Aki Korhonen 115,685 views
- 4:36 Robot Japan 2011 Dance Contestby tempusmaster 75,480 views
- 6:42 First humanoid robot in space | On the International Space Station by 2011by SpaceChronologyCom 2,035 views
- 1:36 Highlights of ASIMO at the 2011 Sundance Film Festivalby Honda 158,976 views
- 1:33 Man sees with 'bionic eye'by ITN 2,832,689 views
- 9:49 New Honda Robot ASIMO 2012 - All features and behaviorsby Navas Azeez 1,163,796 views
- 3:32 NAO Next Gen : the new robot of Aldebaran Roboticsby AldebaranRobotics 657,053 views
- Loading more suggestions...