Uploaded on Dec 28, 2011
This is my recipe for dakbokkeumtang, or spicy braised chicken, also called dakdoritang. Many people have requested this dish over the years.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
Chicken wings, soy sauce, garlic, hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste, sugar, onion, green onions, green chili pepper, and potatoes.
Cooking time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
1. Cut 1 kg (about 2 pounds) of chicken wings or chicken thighs into bite sized pieces. Wash and drain.
2. Make seasoning paste by mixing ¼ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup of minced garlic, ¼ cup hot pepper paste, ¼ cup of hot pepper flakes, and 1 tbs of sugar.
3. Put the chicken and 2 or 3 medium sized onions (2 cups' worth) into the seasoning paste. Mix it with a spoon.
4. Add 2 cups of water to the pot and mix it up.
5. Bring to a boil over medium high heat for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, peel 3-4 large potatoes (600 grams: 1.5 pound). Wash and drain them, then cut into large chunks 2 inch across. Set aside.
7. Chop 2 green chili peppers and 2 stalks of green onions into small pieces. Set aside.
8. 20 minutes later, add the potato chunks and chopped green chili peppers to the pot. Stir with a spoon, then let it cook with the lid closed for another 20 minutes.
9. Open the lid and cook another 3-5 minutes. Keep the lid open to boil away some broth and thicken.
10. Occasionally take some broth from the bottom of the pot and pour it over the top so everything gets some delicious broth.
11. Transfer it to a large serving plate and sprinkle 2 chopped green onions over top.